It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you smell?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It seems as though we are still animals when it comes down to it.

In a report from the excellent Science Daily, scientists collected sweat from different age groups and then asked observors to evaluate the odour given off.

www.sciencedaily.com...

The elderly sweat was thought to be less intense and less unpleasant than young or middle age sweat. The scientists theorised that in nature older males have longevity genes which may be advantageous.

I suppose this research can be related to pheromones. It seems that women who are ovulating have more sex steroids in their sweat which makes males detect them as they may be more willing for a sexual interaction.

Meantime I will keep on wearing deodorant to confuse everybody.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Prior to getting the flu at school, my mother observed that if she smelled our hair near the skull, it smelled like store-bought champignon mushrooms. In a day or two we were sick.
These days when I smell a strange smell of something like sour beef stew I know I am up for an attack of designer viruses.
Also, drinking coffee strongly modifies armpit smells in my observation. Tea does not.
Homeopaths sometimes smell their patients to ascertain the good sickness remedy...

This is somewhat more than boys and girls.
For some women, pheromones are secreted only when they are having their period. Which is quite unfortunate - and it does not serve marital bliss in the end.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was told that we Americans (in general - calm down veggy-tarry-ones!) smell like a dead, rotted cow to Asians. I wonder if that's true or if it's just urban legend from veggy-tarry-ones who dislike beef-eaters.

I think how a person smells is based on more than just hormones ... include diet and illnesses (some dog's noses can pinpoint some illnesses in humans - like diabetes) and general health overall.

Also, a non-smoker tells me he smells like cigarette smoke when he comes home from an outing with smokers in an enclosed space. He says that non-smoker's skin breathes more than smoker's skin ... and that makes him absorb more of the ahem 'fragrance' of tobacco.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr treg
It seems as though we are still animals when it comes down to it.

Of course humans are animals. What else could they possibly be? Plants? Fungus? Arachnids? Bacteria?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Once again everyone defers to science for answers that I thought was too simple from anecdotal experience that makes it a no brainer.
I smell with my nose

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Reminds me of the article "Old people have distinctive smell, but it's not too bad, study finds" I read today ...

The notion that the elderly have a distinct smell exists in multiple cultures, and usually the odor is said to be unpleasant. But this probably has more to do with negative perceptions of old age, rather than with the odor itself, according to study researcher Johan Lundström, an assistant professor at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

Prior to getting the flu at school, my mother observed that if she smelled our hair near the skull, it smelled like store-bought champignon mushrooms. In a day or two we were sick.
These days when I smell a strange smell of something like sour beef stew I know I am up for an attack of designer viruses.

My mom noticed the same thing, and I notice it on my boys. Also the breath. When they are about to get sick, there is always this same smell on their breath. As soon as I smell it, we cut out all our sugars, drink lots of water, and start taking zyrtec and vitamins. We can usually avoid major illnesses this way.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Let's see... Got up fixed breakfast, fed and watered the animals... bottle fed a little billy goat kidd that it's mother refuses to nurse...unloaded some wood, transplanted some tomatoes, wrote out a few bills and put in the mail and hauled off the trash while a load of laundry washed... just finished eating lunch of Chinese Chicken and rice stirfry.. oh, it is about 85 degrees to and sticky here in NC... time to nurse the goat again

I smell real good... at least the kidd goat likes the way I smell.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have always noticed a sickningly sweet odor around some elderly people. I worked in the dental field for about five years, and finally figured out that is was advanced gum disease. The odor makes me a bit naseous.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
parabins are a basic ingredient in deoderants
they have been found in 99 percent of breast tumors
also the tumors favour the part of the breast which gets the over slather from the underarm swipe

Parabens
CATEGORY: Endocrine disruptor

USED IN: Preservatives for food, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics

Parabens are a group of compounds widely used as antimicrobial preservatives in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products, including underarm deodorants. Parabens are absorbed through intact skin and from the gastrointestinal tract and blood.

Measurable concentrations of six different parabens have been identified in biopsy samples from breast tumors (Darbre, 2004). The particular parabens were found in relative concentrations that closely parallel their use in the synthesis of cosmetic products (Rastogi, 1995). Parabens have also been found in almost all urine samples examined from a demographically diverse sample of U.S. adults (Ye, 2006a).

Parabens are estrogen mimickers, with the potency of the agonistic response being related to the chemical structure (Darbre, 2008). They can bind to the cellular estrogen receptor (Routledge, 1998). They also increase the expression of many genes that are usually regulated by estradiol and cause human breast tumor cells (MCF-7 cells) to grow and proliferate in vitro (Byford, 2002; Pugazhendhi, 2007). Nevertheless, parabens as a class do not fully mimic estradiol in the changes in cellular gene expression nor are the effects of all parabens identical (Sadler, 2009).

www.breastcancerfund.org...

"Parabens are estrogen mimickers" - from the above reference
guess they make you gay too

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Kokatsi

My mom noticed the same thing, and I notice it on my boys. Also the breath. When they are about to get sick, there is always this same smell on their breath. As soon as I smell it, we cut out all our sugars, drink lots of water, and start taking zyrtec and vitamins. We can usually avoid major illnesses this way.

Finally a piece of raw data from experience.
What exactly is Zyrtec? I faintly recall an expensive allergy pill named by that brand name in my counts. Is that the same thing?

Seaweed does miracles in alkalizing the body. Even a few pinches. These days I would suggest Koren seaweed as the Japanese may be compromised.

After my tooth got puled - treated several times with root canal - I noticed an overall change of smell in the morning. Les viral, less sour bouillon type - which went on with fever, headaches et. I suggest Hulda Clark and Rife therapy with lots of vitamins.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kokatsi

Ya, same Zyrtec, it is sold over the counter now, and it seems to work pretty good when taken once or twice a day. Benadryl still seems to work the best, but it has to be taken every 4-6 hours. The Zyrtec winds up saving you a little money in the long run. It is just an allergy medicine / antihistamine.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I drank fenugreek tea to help with my milk supply.
It did actually help bring more milk in, however I ended up smelling and by all accounts tasting like curry.
It was hilarious. Didn't smell of BO mixed with curry as obviously I shower daily, just tasty curry. I was a walking balti.

Apparently man made scents can have an effect on your fertility. Women undergoing IVF procedures are told not to wear it. It would seem that our natural pheromones are more important to the mating game than we think. Also as others have noted, natural indicators of illness.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I've heard drinking lots of pineapple juice makes certain things more palatable.
Haven't tried it myself, but maybe it works for milk too?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Allegedly it makes certain things more than just palatable, abundant even, but this probably isn't the place to delve into that.

top topics

join