It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Image of a Typical Alien

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth76
(...)
I think the classic alien �grey� may have been brought about by the alien autopsy video but I�m just guessing.

I think it might have been popularized by that video. There are numerous examples of depictions of such looking beings all over history, and far far back beyond writing even... Cave drawings have been found to show beings looking alike. I'll try to find a link to something nice.

I believe that this common depiction is probably a reality, even if there may be different races, different "sub-races" and so on... Thinking about it, their appearance bears some logic to sompare them with us in millions of years. Evolution will likely tend to make us hairless and with bigger brains, for instance...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
i WAS CURIOUS BECAUSE THIS IS NOT MY NORMAL AREA OF DISCUSSION BUTT AFTER TAKING A DAY OF BEAT ME UP CRITICAL REPLIES THROWN AT ME ALL NIGHT IT WAS NICE TO POP IN AND SEE THE 1ST PICTURE IT SURE LIGHTENED MY DAY

thanks fo the chuckles guys lol

the picture is an oldie but a goodie

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Interesting question - where did this image originate and who reported it first?

Out West here there are many ancient pictographs by the native americans that make you wonder. Here's a photo of one them sent in to coast to coast. Pictographs

It would interesting to see how the native americans painted normal human beings so that we could compare them. Any link?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Wisdom, Lucid has posted a great source. It is from Egyptian times of the Greys . Here is the link that was provided earlier on page one.

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Hmm im thinking it goes back further myself...

great find LL!
I had no idea there were heirogliphics which contained images of grays. I know that there are old paintings with UFO like objects in them, but Ive never known of a depiction of greys dateing back that far.

KF

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Wisdom, Lucid has posted a great source. It is from Egyptian times of the Greys . Here is the link that was provided earlier on page one.

I thought that was just a vase? The cutout is definetly wishfull thinking.

Not to mention if I was imaginative, I would see a grey in an odd headgear (similar to a Pharao) having horns and some sort of segmented armor over its arm/shoulder, plus a big cloak.

OMG I THINK ITS DARTH VADER!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomMaster
It would interesting to see how the native americans painted normal human beings so that we could compare them. Any link?

My opinion of the pictographs is that they are symbolic representations and not to be taken as literal. Shayman or medicine men possibly.

However, I do wonder if subsequent generations looked at these in a literal sense and interpreted them as alien. As a child of the Apollo missions and scifi movies I looked at images like these and immediately saw them as greys. Age has given way to logic and now I see the wonderful Native symbolism. You really want to mess with your head - check out the art of the Incas and Mayans.

But judge for yourself - here's a link to various pictographs throughout the US. Indian Rock Art Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The image of the Grey goes back much farther then most people realize. This is a cave painting from southern france which is many thousands of years old.

They have been here for a long long time

[edit on 3-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sure, those cave paintings look like grays to us.
What did the artist mean my it, though.

Perhaps it is the greys as extraterrestial entities.

Or maybe it is a persistent archetype, a way of representing the tribe's (or civilizations) guardian spirits. Now that science has outlawed elves, we have begun seeing greys.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
While Greys might be the most common aliens, they could be the more basic of them if they are more common. What I mean by that is logically, if they keep on visiting it must be for some reason, if they were advanced they would have figured us out and stopped bugging us, I personally think that Greys have been over-stipulated and we presume any aliens that do abductions *Must* be greys. What about the Avins, or any of the others, they could be one race, many species.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Or maybe it is a persistent archetype, a way of representing the tribe's (or civilizations) guardian spirits. Now that science has outlawed elves, we have begun seeing greys.

More likely its the other way around. What people called elves and Imps were infact Greys. People back then had no concept of other planets let alone aliens.

The thing to consider about cave paintings is that these were not easy things to do. You had to paint by torch light find and make all the paints and tools yourself. This was a time consuming process. This is why cave painting were only done to show things of great importance to the people that made them. If you look at much of the other cave art from this time and area it showed animals they hunted. Things such as the woolly mammoth. ,deers,elk things that helped them survive and were important. These painting were also very accurate representation of the animals they painted.So whatever is in that painting is pretty much what that person was copying a accurate representation of something the artist saw.

But its so much easier to just say it was early science fiction.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Im not 100% positive, but I think the description of the greys started to come about when people started to claim to be visited by aliens. Betty and Barney Hill are 2 people who had encounters years ago. They described the greys as we see them depicted now, as well as a few different types of aliens. Here is a link to an interview with Betty Hill.

Correct, as far as the modern accounts. The historic ones we can only infer what they might be, but the Hill case pretty much started the greys, on the road to household familiarity....

More recent modern information, such as insiders, witnesses, alleged documents, etc. corraborate this description, and from an earlier time period (late 40's).

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Time for a history lesson!

The alien abduction story that seems to have started the cult beliefs about alien visitation and experimentation is the Barney and Betty Hill story. The Hills claim to have been abducted by aliens on September 19, 1961. Barney claims the aliens took a sample of his sperm. Betty claims they stuck a needle in her belly button. She took people out to an alien landing spot, but only she could see the aliens and their craft. The Hills recalled most of their story under hypnosis a few years after the abduction. Barney Hill reported that the aliens had "wraparound eyes," a rather unusual feature. However, twelve days earlier an episode of "The Outer Limits" featured just such an alien being (Kottmeyer). According to Robert Schaeffer, "we can find all the major elements of contemporary UFO abductions in a 1930 comic adventure, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century."

The first abduction case to receive wide publicity in the US involved a married couple, Betty and Barney Hill, in 1961. Since then, stories of alien abduction have proliferated. The phenomenon gained further prominence following the publication of Whitley Strieber's personal account in the best-seller Communion (1987). While the US has by far the most abduction reports, followed by South America, the phenomenon in Britian dates from the mid-1970s. Some researchers estimate that cases worldwide run into the millions.

More about the Hills

The Hill's sketch

Comical addition:
I did a google search for "alien history" and search return #10 was none other:
The HisTory of Michael Jackson's face

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The Hills were first concerned about missing time...and only recalled the abduction under hypnosis... Then there is the starmap she drew, correctly corrolating to the Zeti Reticuli system, and a constallation that wouldn't even be visible from her hemisphere. Not to mention, it showed which stars were yellow stars, something even astronomers didn't know about that constallation at the time, and was only confirmed years later. Just pointing out that the coincidence of a tv episode, pales in comparison to the other evidence for their story.

I take most abduction accounts with a grain of salt, if not outright disbelief, but the Hill case has many merits.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Just a bit off topic, because it is not about discussing the greys' appearance as such, but Gazrock, you gave me the envy again to read all I could find about that case... The Hills' abduction is definitely one of the greatest stories of all times, IMO. Anyone who is a bit interested in abductions and lost time stories knows them, that's for sure!

By the way, can anyone find any "proof" (between quotes, obviously, because all "prooves" are never prooves for non believers) that the now common and typical grey image was at least not uncommon before that? I mean, there are stories dating back way before the Hills, but indeed I'm not sure that any precise description of alien beings was made before that? (except maybe the alleged autopsy video after the Roswell crash...) Unless those cave drawings, hieroglyphs,... can be taken seriously, there is really nothing... Nothing I could find serious anyway...

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

More likely its the other way around. What people called elves and Imps were infact Greys. People back then had no concept of other planets let alone aliens.

Well, since they are both fringe phenomena, It is hard to say which is the more accurate description of the entities behind the encounters. As far as raw numbers and historical records go, there are thousands of years of accounts regarding "fairie abductions;" alien abductions as a cultural motif are less than half a century old.

Shadow XIX, you're welcome to whichever theory you think best explains what evidence we have. I'm just saying it is a cultural bias to assume that we are smarter and better qualified to observe the unknown than other peoples and cultures have been. It may not be an innacurate bias, but it is a cultural bias nonetheless.

From a psychological viewpoint, which account would be more readily believed on this ATS site? "I was abducted by aliens," or "I was abducted by little people, and forced to have sex with their king/queen?"

I think this is a valid point because, ALL people, in every culture, tend to edit their memories to fit what is "possible."

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
Interesting question - where did this image originate and who reported it first?

Out West here there are many ancient pictographs by the native americans that make you wonder. Here's a photo of one them sent in to coast to coast. Pictographs

Was this Freeman indian work? It looks pretty familiar.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I dont think its a cultural bias to assume that we are smarter and better qualified to observe the unknown then the person that painted those pictures. Its really just a fact because we have the benifit of science on our side.

At the time that painting was done the highest piece of technology was the hand axe. They didnt even have the wheel yet and for that simple reason we are better quailifed to understand things then cavemen. Things that are normal to us would appear to be magic to cavemen, now what if they came into contact with tech far inadvance of us.

All im really trying to say about that cave painting is that is was a accuracte depiction of what he was trying to paint. And due to the fact that it is repeated many times over and over again it was very very important to the artist.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I dont think its a cultural bias to assume that we are smarter and better qualified to observe the unknown then the person that painted those pictures. Its really just a fact because we have the benifit of science on our side.

Does science make us smarter and better qualified to observe the unknown?

If you check out my first blog:

blogs.abovetopsecret.com...

entitled "Toward a calculus of the Paranormal," you can read about Sir Isaac Newton, and how as a member of the Royal Society, he forbade all inquiry concerning stories of "hot stones falling out of the clear blue sky."

The scientific study of meteorites was forbidden for a quarter of a century, because Newton's could not explain why, if a stone falls from the sky today, what held it there yesterday? Since Newton's theories had no place for the phenomenon, he excluded it.

Compare that to the beliefs of millions of pre-scientific muslims, who claimed that the black stone of the Kaaba fell out of the sky and was found by Abraham. Their "pre-scientific" minds were more open to the possibility of meteorites than was the great (though human) Sir Isaac Newton.

Having "the benefit of science on our side" is sometimes a dubious distinction at best.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

Does science make us smarter and better qualified to observe the unknown?

Actually yes, since science mean that the range for being "unknown" is alot smaller. Just think of crime scene investigations compared to 200 years ago.

Sidenote: I did find this in my quest for Greys

www.koolpages.com...

Can be usefull in the future

[edit on 4-10-2004 by merka]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join