It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jay-Z Kanye West new Protest/Police Brutality Vid, Symbolism?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

That is an interesting take on the title. I thought it was referring to anarchy but that could be so as well, though I think that may be reaching a little bit.

What do you think about the lyrics?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

I'm rather familiar with him and I can't think of anything that he did which would consider make him racist. It seems that you are not hence why you can't name anything.

edit on 30-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Oh didn't you know... he's racist because he called George Bush a racist.. I suppose that makes him racist.. lol

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

That is an interesting take on the title. I thought it was referring to anarchy but that could be so as well, though I think that may be reaching a little bit.

What do you think about the lyrics?

I don't think it's a reach at all.. .look at Kanye.. (Jesus Walks?) ..
The statues they used, if you look them up are associated with biblical virtues etc..
It's specifically says "Church" .. denoting a religious overtone ..

The lyrics .. well I haven't quite picked those apart but from only listening to it once, there is more to them then just words that rhyme...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

What do I think? I think a couple of rich boys in the entertainment business know their audience, and they know how to pander to the largest disaffected audience.

I don't think it means anything other than a couple of artists and their "people" recognizing the sentiment of their audience and understanding that the expectation of revolution is palpable.

They're making money, they're gaining attention by providing something that the youth of today can associate themselves with.

That's it, no conspiracy, no moral opinions, no noble causes. They are intending to make money, and they plan to connect to the audience, this is a way to do it.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

lol I was just adding fuel to the fire. I really liked Kanyes 1st couple of albums, but IMO he fell off ever since he did autotune thing and started making stuff with Jayz. And Jayz, I dont think he has put out anything worthwhile since the black album. But then again, in my mind I'm comparing them to Lupe, who very few can compare with lyrically.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

They already have a huge audience though, most who would never even think of protesting.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
And back to the main topic, they both just play the illuminati thing to get airtime. If the illuminati did exsist, those 2 certainly wouldnt be part of it. But I guess who really knows, Jayz has a lot of money, and a lot of influence of the hip hop/rap community.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

lol, that's what I was thinking but didn't want to say it

Bush probably hates all people, especially those that aren't in his elite club.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I guess you missed this thread...www.abovetopsecret.com...

My words...

Originally posted by relocator
These are paid entertainers and I'm sure the producer and record label are hoping to rake in the money as well as the performers. Music videos are entertainment. Entertainers need to earn respect like the rest of us. Just because they get big bucks for entertaining doesn't make them any better than anybody else. If people find a positive message in music videos all the power to you too bad that doesn't create jobs and solve some issues we have with all the money the government is spending and costing our children later on down the road. Who cares the music videos are so powerful they can make you forget all about the doom and gloom....Thump it Loud!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

That one isn't really about the symbolism. Most of the replies are arguing about the state of hip hop.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well, it's a clip from Romain Gavras. Nice one.
Thanks I haven't seen it before, It is exactly his style of video. .

M.I.A made a clip with him a while back

And I must admit this clip is also quite violent, but great producer overall.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Kudos to Realspoke for the interesting conversation piece.

I, for one, think of music holistically, so it is difficult for me to separate the (video) images from the lyrics.

And, I agree with you OP, in that the images depict rebellion/anarchy/mobs whatever you want to name it.
Furthermore, some of the lyrics (if you can get past the target audience "trash" words), do, in fact, refer to the Romans and the Greeks. Some of these, I believe, may be above listeners' heads? I could be wrong.

However,as a lot of MSmusic goes these days, there are quite a few references to: Higher Ground which has been covered by a lot of artists--but the Stevie Wonder version first comes to my mind.

It is almost as if Jay Z/Kanye are challenging "Higher Ground's" message, in my opinion. Now, whether this is illumanti or sickness driven, I can't prove.

But listen to "Higher Ground" (provided below) and see if they weren't taking quite a bit of this positive communication and turning it around in a negative way, albeit "it's gonna be alright" at the end:

Thoughts?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

Well the video could be seen as positive imagery. It could be a showing how the oppressed defeat the oppressors.

People view it as negative because they assume it is propaganda to romanticize rioting.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

reply to post by watchesfromwall

Well the video could be seen as positive imagery. It could be a showing how the oppressed defeat the oppressors.

People view it as negative because they assume it is propaganda to romanticize rioting.

Yes that is true. It's where my mind first went. Then I re-judged it a few times. I still can't decide if it's meant to be positive or negative. My own limitations? I do respect the Art of it.

I also love videos like this, where there is so much meaning to chew on. Even if they are illuminati (I don't think they exist, but the NWO agenda sure does) they are speaking on certain truths. I like to decode deep thoughts in things like this, and in Movies like the Matrix.

as far as Kanye being racist, he's not. He got pissed off about katrina, and well, he should have been. He did say some racist things, but I don't care to go looking for it. He could be interpreted as racist from that music awards show.. Didn't he say something like "this little white girl...something something.." ? My memory is bad.

He just has a bit of anger in him. get's riled up too easy. He's definitely not going around burning crosses in whitys yard...

I'm white, but white people being racist bothers me more than the other way around. I love my black brothers

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

True about that.

But to me, it seems these 2 rappers/hip-hoppers are saying that they are opposite what Stevie Wonder (Higher Grounders) are claimiing.

Through their music/video/lyrics, it just seems that they are acting like they (jayz and kanye) are the "gods" when juxtaposed with higher ground.

They determine the "gods", the sins, the teachers, the preachers, etc. through this work.

Heck, their video-images of rebellion and victory could just be a reflection of reality as of late with OWS and what not.

Artistically, other than the added trash parts, I really like the track and beat.

Still, I believe that if you look at their lyrics and that of higher ground, side by side, they have taken disrespecting to a whole new level. Again, just might be another reflection of society today. Im relatively young, but old school, in certain ways, I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join