It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard work Does Not pay off !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Many may question or blame the parents. I really question the judges integrity.
Not only has our government become a failure so has our justice system.
I have known several young people who have worked on their education while working full time to help support their family, never knew it was a crime.

Diane Tran is an 11th grade honor student at Willis High School in Houston (TX), who was placed in jail after repeated truancy. She works a full time job plus a part-time job while taking advancement and dual credit college level courses in high school. The Texas Judge ordered the exhausted Ms. Tran to pay a $100 fine and spend 24 hours in jail as a lesson.

helpdianetran.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
local texans should hang the judge.
i think thats how they used to handle criminals there neway

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OLD HIPPY DUDE

Hard work Does Not pay off !

Sure it does - the problem is just that too many people - including myself - try to do it within the confines of this technological marvel of a perverted human societal structure we've created instead of being lucky enough to find a way to get off the grid and live as nature/god/the universe intended.

PEOPLE don't pay off...until you can subjugate them to one degree or another and use them as an energy resource, sucking the life and wealth out of them at your own benefit.

Sorry. Long day and I don't like this place anymore.

edit on 5/30/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
'Hard work' is an oversimplified term to say the least, as used in your statement. However I understand the point you are trying to make. I think people need to put themselves in someone else's shoes for perspective in any given situation. More compassion and less judgement. Too much power given to individuals these days.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There is a pretty tough truancy law in effect in that county. She had already appeared before him for truancy and he had warned her not to miss any more school. When she did he issued her a summons and she was arrested for contempt when she appeared.

However the charges have now been dismissed.

www.khou.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Punishment for not attending school should be a red flag to everyone that the system is completely broken.

Especially at the high school level where the real world begins to affect the students lives.

So what if I'm not in class? My grades are fine if not exemplary. Does it hurt teachers feelings if Im not there to sleep through their droning? Is the school supposed to be a day-care for me that I'm locked into?

For most schools the drop-out age is 15 or 16. After that age the school should just be glad you're still enrolled and havent just dropped out, got your GED and gone to college two or three years ahead of your slow peers.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I see your point. But everybody is different, some are more mature than others, learn quicker, etc. Those are the ones that graduate early. Generally attending school is beneficial.

As far as Ms Tran goes, that is the truancy law they have on the books in that particular county and she got caught up in it. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and it was dismissed.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Right. And failure is the punishment.

If you need the extra whatever and you arent putting out the effort to even show up you're going to fail.

If you dont need the extra whatever, are excelling even, and yet not showing up then what's the problem? You'll still pass.

People are not so stupid they cant recognize failure and adjust adequately.

If they were so stupid then adding this insane external layer of monetary fines and jail time isnt going to do any good anyway.

People are different. Some people are stupid and others are not. They'll figure it out.

Schools didnt use to have this truancy nonsense and this habit of attaching attendance to overall grades and people got by just fine.

If I'm getting a 95 average why should I be hit with a stupid "attendance is 30%" policy? Because obviously that attendance is not important. It's as if attendance is tied to grades to make it so teachers can hide their uselessness.
edit on 31-5-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You should never work hard.... You'll never get anywhere
You need to be personable and a smart worker to get somewhere in life

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
However do agree this is bonkers

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This judge belongs in prison. He is clearly unfit to be a member of the ridiculous class of people known as the judiciary.

Forcing people to attend a government school is NOT a function of government, nor should it ever be.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Much of the reason for the existence and structure of the Public Education System is compliance generation and enforcement. The much lamented "peer pressure," so rampant in middle and high schools, is not only tolerated -- it is a desired by-product by the masters. Don't be dismayed; the system is in disintegration as we speak. Humans are awakening, and critical/independent thinking is about to trump systemic thought, compliance, and subordination. Yay!!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by bg_socalif

Schools didnt use to have this truancy nonsense and this habit of attaching attendance to overall grades and people got by just fine.

It became an issue when overall school attendance percentage became tied to federal funding.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Am I missing something?

The judge dropped all charges.

top topics

join