It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Prepper Sentenced to 21 Months In Prison For Stockpiling “Destructive Devices” After In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Source

A number of times in the past, I have warned about how dangerous I think T.V. shows like Doomsday Preppers are to the prepping community. In my opinion, these prepping shows do nothing to help people prepare and are designed to do only one thing – To make Preppers look like complete Wackjobs!

I hate to say I was right, but it seems the popular reality T.V. show about prepping is now being used to help obtain search warrants and convict preppers of crimes.

The case in question, involves a man from Kansas who was prepping for an economic collapse scenario. It seems law enforcement officials in Kansas used the T.V. show and images of preppers to not only obtain a warrant for a residents arrest, but also to convict the man of crimes in court.

Ok, this could have gone in any number of forums, BUT, i put it here so that all you 'survivalists' will hopefully see it.

Now, I am a procrastinating prepper... i have some basics, but really, i have nothing at all that wont be gone with a couple months. I am not as hardcore as the dude in the story.
Now it seems to me that he may have had some illegal items or items of question, but to give him that long of a sentence? Do you think they were just using him as an example to the rest of the survivalists?

So. moral is.. keep your survival stuff to yourself! Or talk amongts people who you truly trust... AND DON'T go on TV and show off all the cool stuff you've hoarded.. it just may get used against you in a court of law

Thoughts?!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I don't even own a television, but I have have heard about this program, and I saw about 30 seconds at a friend's house.

My first thought was, "Any moron who goes on a tv program like this will get screwed, and the d**mned fool deserves anything that happens to him."

I have no sympathy for the moron. My grandmother always said, "Fools names and fools faces real often seen in public places." Rings true here.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
In order to be a true prepper the first thing that needs to be stockpiled is discretion, patience and discernment.
If you can't keep secrets you'll never keep anything for long. Especially your supplies.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Rather stupid to reveal anything about your prepping that could land one in jail. Loose lips sink ships, and that dude is sunk.

People opsec.

opsec now
opsec always

and opsec will keep you out of jail.

edit on 30-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Exactly! keep your prep stuff to yourself

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Maybe this guy should have just prepped for prison??
Smokes, top ramen, chocolate, soap on a rope, condoms.

This topic already posted too.
here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I've seen real dumb threads on here about "where would you go when TSHTF" or "What types of SHTF gear do you own?" for the love of god, everyone just shut up with what ya got, what ya know, and where to go.
OPSEC/COMSEC, ever hear of that?

I know nothing, I have nothing.....

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

As I've said before, it is absolute insanity to go on a reality show if you truly want to be "off the grid." So, while I think the sentence is excessive, I also believe that this result could have been anticipated. Loose lips sink ships.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I said that this would happen in a thread a while back. I just had a feeling that they would use the show against them and take their stuff away. Its why the show has been cancelled because all these people are spooked now,and rightly so.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Well, on the Internet, one can be pretty anonymous....

However, going on a national TV show...well, that's pretty much a big violation of rule number 1...don't make yourself a known target...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Rather stupid to reveal anything about your prepping that could land one in jail. Loose lips sink ships, and that dude is sunk.

People opsec.

opsec now
opsec always

and opsec will keep you out of jail.

edit on 30-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

OPSEC
what I have ...I have.
What I don't ...I don't.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
wait, I just clicked the link and it said the guy wasn't even on the show...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
How could they use footage from the show to convinct him if he wasn't on the show?

UPDATE: Please note that this article has been corrected. Alfred C. Dutton has never appeared on the show “Doomsday Preppers,” though footage from the show was used in helping prosecutors to convict him of the charges described below.

top topics

join