It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent Crime at 39 Year Low - Yet US is Spending $100 Billion Per Year on Police

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
One must ask, “Why so much spending on law enforcement?” at a time when violent crime rates are at a 39 year low. It would seem that the police have performed well with the resources currently in place yet their funding has shot up dramatically every year for the past 30 years.

Crime rates today are at their lowest levels in 30 years and the rate of violent crime has dipped to a 39-year low. Yet the number of arrests between 2009 and 2010 declined only slightly, according to the Justice Policy Institute (JPI), which noted in its new report that police spending increased 445% between 1982 and 2007 and federal funding for police burgeoned by 729%.

Meanwhile, local, state and federal governments spend more than $100 billion each year on public safety and to maintain police ranks that exceed 710,000 nationwide.
link

There must be a good reason!! Are criminals getting so advanced these days that LE can’t keep up? Not likely! Between 93’ and 07’ violent crime has dropped 27% and property crime has dropped 22%. Drug arrests have increased 45% during the same period. Why the need for such a modernized, militant police force for minor drug offenses??
That doesn’t make sense to me…

What does this increase in spending mean to you??

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

They're trying to build a prison, They're trying to build a prison, Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids, Following the rights movements You clamped down with your iron fists, Drugs became conveniently Available for all the kids,

System of a down said it best.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
TPTB would justify the spending by saying "because we spent X dollars crime has dropped by Y percent", more or less justifying their existence and expenditures. We all know that the LEO business is very similar to the Military Industrial Complex in almost all manners. Create an enemy then throw money at it making a select few a lot of money.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i suppose the starting point would be how much does it cost to keep one officer equipped for a year and then work out from there so theres the Rosemarys on the switchboard to the choppers and the fact it has to run 24 x 7 along with lord knows how many other costs like overtime/replacement of vehicles damaged while stopping felons etc

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
it's the same machine that makes money from war over seas only currently they are in a slump and have to either move the funding to the US police machine or start another war or both.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Great Album!

So they’re gearing up with new tech (like drones and APC’s) and new laws (NDAA, CISPA, ACTA, SOPA, etc) to do what; crack down on drugs and feed the prison system for profit in your opinion?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If they increase spending and crime drops then of course they will keep increasing spending. It seems to me they could claim the spending is very effective.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Judging by police abuse and the manner in which they confront citizens, one would think violent crime is at an all time high.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRemorse762

TPTB would justify the spending by saying "because we spent X dollars crime has dropped by Y percent", more or less justifying their existence and expenditures. We all know that the LEO business is very similar to the Military Industrial Complex in almost all manners. Create an enemy then throw money at it making a select few a lot of money.

The bad thing about running a police department like a business is that you then expect to see a return on investment (ROI); and what do you do when crime doesn’t happen on its own…well, you have to manufacture it to keep profits up.

The problem is how else do you manage a police department if NOT like a business??

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Not sure how to reply to this,,,,??

But crimes are getting sicker and sicker and more evil....

This could change over night on the statistics???
The economy?

Could also mean more criminals are making plea deals to a lesser charge...??

But I did see an article crime in NY has dropped...

Victory???
No....

We got some criminals where it takes several officers to arrest them...
And some who refuse to step out of the car because they are ????DUMB DRUNK???

States have to fork out some spendy medical care if its a state prison/jail....
It cost a fortune if everyone demanded a teeth cleaning and their cavities filled....long sighhhh

lets hope to see another drop,,,,

good post,,,kinda hard to buy when cops are being paid over time...

I myself dont see much ??? on this...

but hey,,,thanks for posting it....
S&F for you...
edit on 30-5-2012 by MollyMN because: forgot S%F

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Population rises= they have to spend more to keep you down

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

If they increase spending and crime drops then of course they will keep increasing spending. It seems to me they could claim the spending is very effective.

If violent crime is down then how do you justify the continuous increases? In business terms – You don’t have as many ‘customers’ so how do you justify the increasing overhead year after year?

It just seems to me that they are building up their forces for something else and the crime rate significantly decreasing is akin to having the curtain pulled back; they’re justification is gone and that is being exposed by the stats.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

If municipal government was run like a business they would all be out of business. No successful business runs in the red year after year, well unless you are to big to fail and that is a whole different topic. When municipalities run out of money they get loans or borrow money from the state and when states run out of money they borrow from the Federal Government. When the Federal Government runs out of money they get loans from the Fed(federal reserve) and when the Fed runs out of money they just hit PRINT. Not a good business plan but it is an awesome money pit for the business that produce and sell products and services for Law Enforcement Organizations. Just like the MIC.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MollyMN

States have to fork out some spendy medical care if its a state prison/jail....
It cost a fortune if everyone demanded a teeth cleaning and their cavities filled....long sighhhh

Maybe the bulk of this spending is going to the jails to house all the drug arrests…I didn’t dig that far into the breakdown.

I have seen the militarization of police forces though; cops wearing BDU’s and combat boots carrying AR-style automatic rifles, etc. I also know many departments are acquiring drone technology now; can’t be cheap; what will it be used for???

lets hope to see another drop,,,,

I hope so yet I’m sure we won’t see a drop in their spending, which was kind of my point; why the need for such big increases in spending if crime continues to go down? Are they preparing for some unforeseen need for all of this power?? Do they know something we don’t??

Anyway…thanks for the post! Maybe it’s just my overactive conspiratorial imagination.

edit on 30-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Well it's not cheap to oppress the poor and middle class. A person's honor isn't cheap to buy.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The police are being used more and more to "raise funds" for cities and states. Income generated by traffic stops and the fines imposed are "big bucks", and I see this as a real big moral dilemna, if cops and courts need this money to operate, how can we "trust" that we recieve justice?

Judges almost always will side with the police in a "he said, she said" situation. In CA there is a new law that gives police a "right" to pull you over if your "distracted" without any clear meaning of what that means? Drinking your coffee on the way to work could get you pulled over under this crazy law.

Now God forbid you are unable to pay these fines, my Dad was fined $250 dollars for questionable ticket he got trying to avoid a construction zone, he tried to fight it, and the judge wasn't going to budge So folks, pay up, shut up, or you will have warrent issued for your arrest and be unable to reniew your driver's lisence. Once that happens, you are screwed.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

In CA there is a new law that gives police a "right" to pull you over if your "distracted" without any clear meaning of what that means? Drinking your coffee on the way to work could get you pulled over under this crazy law.

So considering the Police State we seem to be moving towards, does it bother you that police departments spend more and more every year?

What will it be like for us in 10 years when the $100 billion per year reaches $1 trillion? Seems to me we’ll have another unaccountable, unregulated, military industrial complex-type operation on our hands.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Idk where says crime rates are down cause everywhere Ive been reading says they are up and the police funding is low that they are understaffed.... Overall statistically,maybe, but per capita, noooo....
edit on 30-5-2012 by dayve because: typoh

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dayve

Idk where says crime rates are down cause everywhere Ive been reading says they are up and the police funding is low that they are understaffed.... Overall statistically, but per capita, noooo....

Here are the statistics compiled by the Justice Policy Institute.

Spending is up and violent crimes are down nationally according to this report. It might not seem that way in the media because sensationalism sells.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yes, it bothers me a great deal. It seems like the ultimate case of adding "insult to injury".....we have to pay, and go into more debt, to become a police state most people have clearly said they don't want?

If the point is to "prevent" crime and traffic violations why set up "sting" operations and "hide" trying to "catch" people doing these evil "deeds". If a cop has the "time" to "hide" outside a bar, why not sit in the parking lot offering breath tests before someone may drive that is over the limit? Hey, here's an idea, offer them a lift home, now that would be to protect and serve, not ruin thier lives with a DUI bust.

Now before people jump down my throat that drinking and driving is bad, I would suggest most people can have a few drinks and drive just fine, and bars are NOT illegal. To "hide" and intrap someone leaving a bar that does nothing wrong because likely they had been drinking is not right IMHO....I have had most close calls driving using a cell phone, not moderate drinking....Most people are very careful drivers and try to prevent accidents. We built the roads, with tax payer money, and we have a right to use the roads without being harrassed by cops whos motive is offten to "extort" more money from people on behalf of thier city or state.

If cops spent less time on the ridiculous war on drugs, maybe they wouldn't be so broke....accidents happen, people will do dumb things, and the police can be very helpful in some cases, but there is a "conflict" of interest that needs to be addressed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join