It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 dead, 43 wounded in Chicago's bloody holiday weekend

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I used to go hunting in the Sproul State Forest off of Fisher Fire Road. This is beautiful country between Moshanon and Renova off Route 144. I would bet they have the whole area fracked up by now. Guns are needed i very rural areas. However, living here in SW Virginia I find that there really is not any place where there is not a big box store that has significant population.

Guns will never be outlawed in the US in the US and if they try there will be a lot of blood in the streets on both sides.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
More in one US city, over 1 weekend, than all of Canada.. All year.

Im sorry, but the US gun laws need to be changed.

Wiki

30% of murders in Canada involve a firearm, and 27% of households own a gun.

Canada ranked higher than MANY countries in the intentional homicide rate. Wiki

When looking at the fact that in the US, the murders are largely confined to densely populated areas, it is no wonder Canada is much lower. Look at the population densities of the two countries. When you pile people on top of people, you will get violence.

I wonder how Canada ranks on the zombie face-eating crime rate? Or, how about the intestine throwing crime rate? Nobody needs a gun to cause horrific harm. Taking away guns does not take away violence.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
When looking at the fact that in the US, the murders are largely confined to densely populated areas, it is no wonder Canada is much lower. Look at the population densities of the two countries. When you pile people on top of people, you will get violence.

I've noticed people are a lot like chickens.

I've got a 6x6 coop with only 10 chickens in it. They're all happy, healthy and calm.

A buddy of mine has a coop maybe a little bigger but not much with 25 chickens in it. Same breeds. Some from the same families. They hate each other. Always pecking one another. Drawing blood. Breaking each others eggs.

Cities are a disease. Population densities should be capped. Parking lots can get full. Why not cities?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Yea, because if someone is hellbent on murdering someone else, a gun law is going to stop them right?

Try using common sense for once. The gun is not responsible, the human operating it is.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I live in Chicago. South side to be exact. I'm literally right in the middle of all this. Some killings are gang related.
Others, (like two of the deaths recently) are just mindless idiots shooting for no reason. Most of the time these idiots a few blocks from me shoot the wrong person. Aim for one guy and kill the wrong person.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I live in Seattle....and over the memorial day weekend we had an upsurge of violence too....gang related...and innocent bystanders got hurt and killed.

One man we just driving home from work and got a bullet in a crossfire ment for someone else; he died.

Another man was at a festival...was walking along listening to some tunes drinking coffee enjoying the day...and got caught up in a crossfire and got shot in the leg; he lived.

I used to feel safe going out for a walk...(which I love)...and now...I don't feel safe at all.

I used to live on 3rd and Bell downtown there and I agree. I've noticed that a lot of downtown crimes go unreported in Seattle, too. There were several times I'd hear a drive-by or other gunfire and check the papers the next day only to find nothing.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Look. Guns are just the most-convenient murder weapon. If someone wants to kill you, and he doesn't have a gun, he'll just use a crossbow, or a knife, or a pitchfork, or his car, or poison, or whatever tools he has handy. Banning guns just brings out the innovative side of criminals; if they can't get one, there are plenty of other long-range tools readily-available at Home Depot. The tool itself is not at fault, any more than someone using a hammer to bash skulls in. Hammers are MEANT to bang nails into wood, but they CAN be used to kill with. Guns are MEANT as a tool for self-protection, but they CAN be used to kill with. It is intent that kills people, not whatever tool was used to carry out that intent. If I hit you in the head with my fist, are you gonna blame my fist, or me for throwing it at you? Guns are probably the only thing keeping America from totalitarian fascism right now, people. THINK!!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

I hate to contradict myself, but I will say this. Guns allow cowards to be murderers, and they allow innocent bystanders to be victims. Knives and pitchforks don't do that. Poisons, and Cars, and explosives also harm innocents, but guns are the most convenient.

I would expect some people that can kill with a gun, might not be able to kill with a knife, but then again, they might decide to use poison or a pipe bomb and make the carnage even worse.

I'm definitely not a fan of gun control, but I do wish some of these punks had to stay and watch the consequences of their actions, I don't think they could handle it.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

And you know good ole Rahm! What's his favorite motto? Oh, yeah..."Never let a good crisis go to waste!"

These idiot Big Government officials must think the thinking American is blind to their ploys to stir the sh*tpot in order to "nudge" us a little closer to full and complete slavery to the State. He and Obama both are big fans of the "Nudge Theory". It is an actual psychological tool (look it up on Wikipedia) used to manipulate minds and effect the gradual change to a person or society's behavior.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by Citybig

Well because if you carry a weapon, you can easily defend yourself against these types of crimes. Strict gun control laws takes guns away from the law abiding citizens and puts them in the hands of gangs and criminals.

It doesn't really put them in the hands of criminals because the criminals already have guns and would have them no matter what the law, all it is doing is reducing the overall number of people that possess a gun, which in my opinion can't be a bad thing.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Been a big gang war going on in chicago
I just hope some of those 10 wasn't pregnant
women, children, or men..

Let them kill each other off, the faster the better.

These turf wars and gang problems
have been in chicago since the great
gangsters of prohibition time.

You have it right.

The South and West sides have big time gang problems.

That has been the case for decades.

Gun control there means absolutely nothing.

All the criminals and gangs have unregistered guns and ammo.

The rackets there are worth millions of dollars.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
To SerialVelocity:

Whaaaa??!! Let me see if I understand this reasoning. You don't have a gun to protect your wife and children when a drug-crazed criminal breaks into your home, hits you over the head (or worse), rapes your wife and steals your property. But......that's okay because there is one less gun in the world to worry about.
edit on 30-5-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2012 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

It's not the the guns, the people are the problem.
Move them all up to Canada and the same thing would happen.
Canada's crime rates haven't dropped since gun laws got stricter up there.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I live in Seattle....and over the memorial day weekend we had an upsurge of violence too....gang related...and innocent bystanders got hurt and killed.

One man we just driving home from work and got a bullet in a crossfire ment for someone else; he died.

Another man was at a festival...was walking along listening to some tunes drinking coffee enjoying the day...and got caught up in a crossfire and got shot in the leg; he lived.

I used to feel safe going out for a walk...(which I love)...and now...I don't feel safe at all.

Hi everyone....I just wanted to add to my post this morning....I must say I am growing very alarmed.

Today...a man walked into a cafe and shot 5 people....then a woman was shot downtown....and 60 rounds were fired at some houses....Seattle never used to be like this!

Link to story: seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Police and city officials have scurried to explain what they’re doing to fix the problem in a city with a murder rate higher than New York City’s but with half the population.

Murders are a direct result of economics and family values. Job markets, money woes, marital problems, imbalance of demographics, all those things contribute to murders and the police have no control over any of those things.

Demographics for Chicago:
quickfacts.census.gov...
Decide for yourself.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Usually happens on the hot, long holiday weekends. Will look for a link when I get a chance. S&F.

Best I could do.www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 30-5-2012 by JMech because: Add link

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I see a few things that stand out there...

Foreign born persons, percent definition and source info Foreign born persons,
percent, 2006-2010 21.1%

Language other than English spoken at home, pct age 5+ definition and source info Language other than English spoken at home, pct age 5+, 2006-2010 35.3%

High school graduates, percent of persons age 25+ definition and source info High school graduates, percent of persons age 25+, 2006-2010 79.4%

Also, the very big number that stands out to me...

Persons per square mile definition and source info Persons per square mile, 2010 11,841.8

Almost 12,000 people per square mile? I'm more used to maybe 12, not 12,000!

Every time 10 people come to my house and stay longer than a couple hours, I'm surprised no one gets murdered. Imagine 12,000?

My town has 1809 people per square mile.
The town I grew up in has 8.63 persons per square mile.

Yes, I believe population density is a major factor in violence. Combine that with bad economy, high unemployment, long holiday with alcohol usage...... murder.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join