It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 dead, 43 wounded in Chicago's bloody holiday weekend

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

10 dead, 43 wounded in Chicago's bloody holiday weekend

www.latimes.com

By Matt Pearce
May 29, 2012, 6:36 p.m.
Three days. Ten bodies. Forty-three others injured in shootings. This was Memorial Day weekend in Chicago, a city bloodied by a 50% increase in homicides in 2012.

Police and city officials have scurried to explain what they’re doing to fix the problem in a city with a murder rate higher than New York City’s but with half the population.

"It's not OK that we had 53 shootings last week, but that 53 shootings is the same exact number of shootings that we had last year. So this is not a new problem," said Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy at
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Chicago might have a gang problem. Sure its probably an easy knee jerk reaction to make. But is this really the case? There is a number of absolutely strange laws in Chicago. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Not to mention all the recent events in the windy city, one can only wonder.

I particularly like this argument. A comment from someone in the UK. Just leave it to them to thumb their nose in our business and interject their anti gun liberal sentiment.

Neil Jones at 2:25 AM May 30, 2012
"Right to bear arms". Great idea. NOT ! We in the UK have extremely strict gun control laws and they work. I am 50 times less likely to be shot here than in the US. If that happened here,all hell would break loose regarding firearm ownership. A for instance. Our Olympic pistol team had to train abroad as those guns are illegal. They needed a recently granted special permit to train in the UK.

I believe its liberal laws and regulations that are contributing to this more than anything. But then again I am not in Chicago. So I could be wrong.

www.latimes.com

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Oh well maybe someone in the Chicago area can help clue us in on what is causing all the violence.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

I live in Seattle....and over the memorial day weekend we had an upsurge of violence too....gang related...and innocent bystanders got hurt and killed.

One man we just driving home from work and got a bullet in a crossfire ment for someone else; he died.

Another man was at a festival...was walking along listening to some tunes drinking coffee enjoying the day...and got caught up in a crossfire and got shot in the leg; he lived.

I used to feel safe going out for a walk...(which I love)...and now...I don't feel safe at all.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Well i cannot state as to the cause of the violence, but i can say that it is a strange time we live in. Things seem to be going to hell all around us and im not sure there is anything we can do about it.

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Isnt there some kind of strawberry moon thingy last weekend?
perhaps the loons were out in force.....
As for the nosey Brit who couldnt help putting his smug two cents worth in.....
You also have the hugest number of goverment cameras watching you, and the gun crimes go on in britain as well....no different than elsewhere....besides the assaults and other violent crimes are up in britain so why brag?
Truth is the whole world is going mad and thats a fact.........................

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Police and city officials have scurried to explain what they’re doing to fix the problem in a city with a murder rate higher than New York City’s but with half the population.

Police solve murders, they don't fix problems that prevent murders.

Murders are a direct result of economics and family values. Job markets, money woes, marital problems, imbalance of demographics, all those things contribute to murders and the police have no control over any of those things. Police just show up to collect the evidence and arrest the guilty party.

We have to fix the economy, and the family unit if we want to limit the murders.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Yep: breaking man in Seattle opens fire at cafe.

Weird.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Agreed. But things must be getting very strange up north. Its times like these Im glad I live in the south.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I wonder if this is another push by TPTB in the fast and the furious style to push more gun control laws.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Chicago might have a gang problem. Sure its probably an easy knee jerk reaction to make. But is this really the case? There is a number of absolutely strange laws in Chicago. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Not to mention all the recent events in the windy city, one can only wonder.

I particularly like this argument. A comment from someone in the UK. Just leave it to them to thumb their nose in our business and interject their anti gun liberal sentiment.

Neil Jones at 2:25 AM May 30, 2012
"Right to bear arms". Great idea. NOT ! We in the UK have extremely strict gun control laws and they work. I am 50 times less likely to be shot here than in the US. If that happened here,all hell would break loose regarding firearm ownership. A for instance. Our Olympic pistol team had to train abroad as those guns are illegal. They needed a recently granted special permit to train in the UK.

I believe its liberal laws and regulations that are contributing to this more than anything. But then again I am not in Chicago. So I could be wrong.

www.latimes.com

Don't tell Obama this $hit or he will do MORE to change all the rights of Americans!! You don't want shot, then stop living in a city plagued by shootings!! I live in nowheresville PA.....The only people with guns here only hunt game.....No gangs or crap like that.....

This above quote and the quote in this persons post needs to be removed before the minions of Soetoro get their filthy hands all over it....lol

Guns don't kill people......People kill people

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by getreadyalready

Agreed. But things must be getting very strange up north. Its times like these Im glad I live in the south.

My town was voted both Most liveable, and mosts dangerous in the same year last year!
Tallahasse, FL. I love the South, but my little town does have plenty of murders and assaults. The good thing is, they are never random. It is always people who know each other killing each other. So the town is perfectly safe, just watch out for your friends and family!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hmm, just found this little gem.

I wonder if it has anything to do with this.

globalgrind.com...

Tracy Martin spoke at the Rainbow PUSH headquarters on 930 East 50th Street in Chicago:

“As any of you know as parents, or family members of slain victims, to look at a crime scene photo, it’s very disturbing...That was certainly very disturbing to just see that picture of my son on the ground dead. That will be ingrained in my memory for the rest of my life.”

Rev. Jackson said it’s time to “stop the killing,” pointing out that nearly 30,000 people in the country die from gun violence each year.

Read more: globalgrind.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hows that "everybody has guns so we're all safer" crap working out for you now then? Thankfully, in more civilised, developed nations, we do not need these guns to get our kicks.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig
Hows that "everybody has guns so we're all safer" crap working out for you now then? Thankfully, in more civilised, developed nations, we do not need these guns to get our kicks.

Nice.

If everyone here had guns, we would be safer, but half the population finds it ok to depend on the government or the other half to protect them.

I'v had my gun on me for 20 years, and I've never needed it, even when I did get in a few scuffles I never needed the gun, but it was always nice to have as an option. Believe it or not, there are bad people out there who might want to take advantage of a stranded motorist or an unarmed woman in her home. It really happens, in real life. People sometimes victimize one another, but a gun evens the playing field quite a lot! My 95lb wife doesn't stand a chance against a 250 lb man busting through her door, but once she grabs her .380, or the shotgun from beside the bed, the odds are suddenly equal, and the attacker is suddenly much more negotiable!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Citybig

Well because if you carry a weapon, you can easily defend yourself against these types of crimes. Strict gun control laws takes guns away from the law abiding citizens and puts them in the hands of gangs and criminals.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Yep Rahm Emmanuel wants to push for tougher gun control laws.

abcnews.go.com...

The plan features enhanced technology designed to provide better real-time intelligence about gang activity, more efforts to rid communities of what the mayor called the “cancer” of liquor stores where much of the violence occurs, and taking away the guns that are the instruments of that violence.
“We are going to get the job done by intercepting the firearms, intervening in the gangs and taking down the narcotics markets and holding onto them,” McCarthy said at a news conference today.
Though innocent bystanders were among those shot over the weekend, including a 7-year-old girl, the mayor stressed that “retaliatory” attacks were at the center of much of the violence, noting that “70 to 80 percent of the increase in shootings and homicides are gang-on-gang violence.”
McCarthy added, “It’s not just about solving this crime, it’s about preventing the next one.”

This plan is guaranteed to backfire.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig

Only half of Chicago has guns. The half that are gangsters and criminals. Chicago has been disarming the law-abiding for a very long time now.

To properly phrase your little tid-bit you should have said "how's that heavily regulated de-facto gun ban working out?"

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Been a big gang war going on in chicago
I just hope some of those 10 wasn't pregnant
women, children, or men..

Let them kill each other off, the faster the better.

These turf wars and gang problems
have been in chicago since the great
gangsters of prohibition time.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
More in one US city, over 1 weekend, than all of Canada.. All year.

Im sorry, but the US gun laws need to be changed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join