It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Submerged Pirate City Port Royal seeks World Heritage Status

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Jamaica, archaeologists seek world heritage status for remains of submerged port city

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Archaeologists said Tuesday that they’ll ask the United Nations’ cultural agency to bestow world heritage status on Port Royal, the mostly submerged remains of a historic Jamaican port known as the “wickedest city on Earth” more than three centuries ago.

Receiving the designation from UNESCO would place Port Royal in the company of global marvels such as Cambodia’s Angkor temple complex and India’s Taj Mahal.

The sunken 17th century city was once a bustling place where buccaneers including Henry Morgan docked in search of rum, women and boat repairs.

Port Royal was once coined as “the world’s wickedest city”, met a cataclysmic end on June 7, 1692, when an earthquake and tidal wave submerged the infamous city. Jamaica was a Spanish colony until the British claimed the island in 1655. Port Royal was the city of cultural and commercial exchange in the Caribbean. The city was a commercial center of trade in African slaves, sugar, among other things.

Port Royal also became a hub for piracy, where contracts for privateering were made between the British Crown and cutthroats like Capt. Henry Morgan, who called this his home port.

The submerged remains have only been partially excavated by archeologists. The site offers a unique chance to study a mid-17th C. town in the Americas.

“There is outstanding potential here. Submerged towns like this just do not exist anywhere else in the Americas,” said Robert Grenier, a Canadian underwater archaeologist who has worked closely with UNESCO. He believes the Jamaican site has a strong chance of getting on the world heritage list.

(FYI: some of these images get thrown around as "Atlantis" on various Web sites/TV shows)

See more, including city map;
Port Royal Archeological Excavations

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What an awesome looking place-it would be amazing to dive there I bet.
Looks very well preserved in parts.
And pretty high odds that buried somewhere in the ruins is some real,badass Pirate treasure!!
Very cool.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
That top image (with the columns) get's posted on just about every show about Atlantis, I want to scream, "It's PORT ROYAL you jack***es!"

I read about this on some other forum, part of the unesco designation would help Jamaica protect the site as well, from touristy casual divers/archeologists who want to treasure hunt, to which I say "more power to them".

new topics

join