It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Wallaby Ends Sadly...

page: 1

join
share:
LL1

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I had thought this as so sad, and HOW could a motorist MISS not seeing anything 4 feet tall and then to drive away?

www.nyjournalnews.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If you read the artical it wasent the large kangroo that every one thinks of first.
it was a young walabe wich is not much bigger then a rabbit.
So it would be much less likly to see it driving down the street and to top it off how manny people would stop if they hit a small animal the size of a rabbit unless they thought it was a dog or cat they would assum it was a wild animal and im sure they felt bad about it but theres not much you can do in a case such as this.
Ps once In a city parking deck I parked at the top leavel 4 stories tall so as to give you the idea of the size of the building.
anyway I get in my car and start driving down and get back to street leavel about then the car was warmed up and a CAT had climed into the engian wile the car had been parked at the top deck .
Once the cat got hot it tryed to get out and of corse i was moving and I very sorry to say the cat dident make it. and the heavy city trafic left no room for stoping and of corse there was nothing i could have done even if i could have stoped .
I would have given anthing to have known the cat was in there but who would ever think a cat would be at the top strie in a parking deck in the middle of the city the are wasent even resadential area.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I agree with LL1. I think it was terrible that they drove away without stopping.

Afterall that would be a tasty bit of roadkill. I am sure Kano would agree that Wallaby pie is a delicious. Fried wallaby tail in a french bread stick is also nice...

LL1

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Kano really eats wallabies?? He said he's eaten it before? He's from the country "down under"?

As for the size, I missed that, I was going on what people said up here that "it was 4 feet tall"....
shows one can't go by hearsay...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
silly pepole unless you have lived in outback australia you cannot comment on this topic.
Poor wallaby? there are many different kinds of wallaby some protected some not. There is a quota of 10,000,000 kangaroo's & wallaby which are culled every year for pet food & in alot of countries it is considered one of the best eating meats you can buy.
1 wallaby? c'mon guy's, since white settlement in this country huge grain crops have been planted and masive dams have been built giving these pests a constant supply of food & water add to this the fact that the kangaroos were hunted for centuries by the aborigines and for the last 200 years the aborigines have not been hunting them it's a recipe for dissaster.
So i don't think 1 wallaby is going to matter i know of one factory in brisbane that processes over 1000 roo's an 8 hour shift 5 shifts a week 11 months a year you do the numbers??

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Afterall that would be a tasty bit of roadkill. I am sure Kano would agree that Wallaby pie is a delicious. Fried wallaby tail in a french bread stick is also nice...

no no no !!! tail in a bread stick? stew mate stew! to smell it cooking it smells like you walked into mcdonalds. something to think about.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sorry mullet but in outback cordon bleur cooking, a nice wallaby tail roll is very popular, Subway are thinking of introducing it into their next line as a "wallaby sub".

Kangaroo steaks are nice as well, but with a somewhat rubbery consistancy...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
let me tell ya mate if you can eat a roo tail on a roll my hat goes off to ya.
this is one of the toughest part of the roo it's full of bone i would like to see any one eat that on a roll the tendons alone would be a hassle
if pepole are putting this stuff on a roll it's not the tail.
I'm a butcher/bonner i've worked with roo and let me tell ya it's a sales gimmick.

LL1

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
unhingedmullet
"PESTS"??? the kangroos were in your country looonng before you arrived, and I'm sure population control was managed by nature quite well!
1000 in an 8-hour shift is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!

Netchicken
a "Subway's" in NYC would never sell this type of meat. In NYC if a woman is walking in a fur, no matter HOW expen$ive, they risk being spray painted.
Besides NYC i do not believe would not have the market.

But really are you both really from down under, and you have eaten
kangaroo meat?
They nurture their young unlike chickens or even cows much longer.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
mate i have deboned over 100,000 roo's myself and i have only worked in the industry for about 2 years i know blokes that have been doing it for 10 years.
before you say poor roo's the blokes who hunt these roo's are pro's.
there are also rules on how they are shot, 1 single head shot otherwise it will be condemed and at $2.00AUS for a single bullet not to many hunters abuse the game.

it takes me 3 minutes to bone a 60kg roo. HELL YEAH thats flyin'

[edit on 2-10-2004 by unhingedmullet]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I'm still not sure if this article is a pisstake, I mean, a news article on someone hitting a roo?

If that kinda stuff was news I'd need an embedded reporter just to drive to work and back.

LL1: sorry to burst your bubble, but they are a big pest down here. Plus they are complete morons when it comes to road safety, I hit one on average once a month, but thats not counting the two dozen or so I dodge per month. I see it as helping the roos by knocking off the extra stupid ones, giving evolution a little nudge in the right direction.

Plus yes I've eaten roo meat, I suspect most aussies have at one time or another, I prefer it as 'roo-tong' though (ie biltong made with kangaroo meat).

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I suppose being from the States, one would think of wallaby's and kangaroo's as "cute" animals. I've never had a chance to eat one but I've had my share of a "cute' animals plenty of times. Rabbit, squirrel and White-tailed deer. MMMMmmm, good eating. And of course, we eat cows and pig. My girlfriend thinks cows are so pretty". I say they look pretty on a plate.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Guinea pigs taste nice too, so I am told.....

LL1

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
If you have the time, ability, and camera phone, could you post a pic of what they look like on your roads? I would love to see what they look like on the road. I've only seen them in the zoo, only the really rich up here hold them as pets on their arces of land.
So to myself as a NY'er they are exotic and cute adorable animals that carry their young in a pouch.
The pest here are pigeons in NY and their droppings on your vehicle.
But the hawks keep the population under control.

LL1

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Know what, whoever has hit that Wallaby is more than likely to be prosecuted if found. One: they hit the animal, and two: they left the
scene of the accident.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by LL1]

top topics

join