It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Inventory - Apps, Spreadsheets, Memory (yeah right), well what do you use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If you are like me you might have a modest supply (food, water, medicine, etc) in case of an emergency. Actually it is more or less just two pantries one for storage (extra) and a small kitchen pantry for a week or so that is immediately handy.

My question is this, what do you use to keep your "stock" fresh, rotated and organized? Do you use a spreadsheet just write it all down or are you a 21 century survivalist and use an App?

Everything has a shelf life and I try to maintain foods that I like to eat but that might be in a short supply in an emergency. Recently we had a few things go out of date so it got me into thinking even though it is modest it might help to have some organization to prevent spoilage.

Please feel free to contribute your method.
edit on 30-5-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Personally I use memory/rotation schedule

Just like a common restaurant technique... first in, first out... meaning when you buy new supplies, put them behind/under your older stuff, so you eat the older first...

With cans, i use a sharpie marker to actually write the expiration date on the top of the lid, for easier visibility

I just try to get down there a few times a week and use some stuff up, then buy more next time at the store

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Personally I use memory/rotation schedule

Just like a common restaurant technique... first in, first out... meaning when you buy new supplies, put them behind/under your older stuff, so you eat the older first...

With cans, i use a sharpie marker to actually write the expiration date on the top of the lid, for easier visibility

I just try to get down there a few times a week and use some stuff up, then buy more next time at the store

Same here, just use memory to keep track of all my stuff, hasn't failed yet,

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I like the sharpie idea, simple and easy.

I already do a first in first out rotation but there are some things like well...canned spinach that frankly I hate! But I will eat it because it is good for me! So that is a great example of something I may not check the date on it so often.

I already do memory, but honestly that is flawed (if not because I am getting old then for the spinach reason I mentioned). So I am curious if there are any spreadsheet users or App users, I have seen several and am curious if anyone uses them.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Ah gotcha

I dont have a spy phone anymore, so no apps for me
And the spreadsheet might be better for people with massive stores of food...

Personally I only buy stuff I know ill eat, my family doesnt care to contribute, so they can eat what I have stored up if it is ever fully needed

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yep, FIFO here also. Over all, it is the best system. I also only buy stuff that my kids and I already eat. No point buying stuff just to have it.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
We use little round colored stickers, like those used for garage sales. It's not an inventory, but it does show us at a quick glance which items need to be used first. Most of our stuff has a fairly long shelf life, so we use a different color for each year that they expire. As things get close to expiration, we either use them up or donate them.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I am just curious if it is enough you know? How do you know you have 1-2 month of storage or 6 months.

I don't have the room nor do I think it is practical to have years of storage, but I think 6 months is do able if after that things have not gotten somewhat organized you might have to migrate anyway.

Maybe I am over doing it?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
We use little round colored stickers, like those used for garage sales. It's not an inventory, but it does show us at a quick glance which items need to be used first. Most of our stuff has a fairly long shelf life, so we use a different color for each year that they expire. As things get close to expiration, we either use them up or donate them.

Interesting idea!

And why I started this thread is for people to share some ideas and for people who want to start a modest storage.

Thanks!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I have bookshelves that I put my canned goods on. I write on the top of each can the use by date. I keep them grouped by month and year. I use one row of shelves for 2012, one for 2013 and one for 2014. As the months of 2012 pass by I use and replace them with 2015. Its the best system I have found for canned goods.

top topics

join