It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reverse Interpretation of a Haunting Years Old Dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I was reading a thread about a guy who had a vision 9 years ago that when he finished reading the LOTR trilogy, the world would end. This, coupled with the face eating and "man throws intestines at cops" incidents, reminded me of a very disturbing dream I had about two years ago.
The dream is essentially just a television screen portraying a CNN-style 24 hour news network. The reporter's demeanor as he introduces what he describes as "gruesome new footage" of a public murder-suicide is reminiscent of an E! News reporter spilling all the latest celebrity gossip; the man was giddy with excitement about the footage he was bringing to the airwaves. Then, without warning anybody about what they are about to see, the CNNesque station launches the footage as the same reporter provides commentary worthy of a UFC match.

*If you are squeamish or likely to get images stuck in your head, don't read this next paragraph.*

The footage begins in medias res as a middle aged man screams and beats his chest on the sidewalk of what looks like a mid-sized city or college town. He is talking about not being able to get his way, people not listening to him, and it seems to be directed at a young boy standing near him. Suddenly, the man produces a knife, a big one, and starts to very violently stab the child. The boy is probably about 10-12 years old and heavy-set with dirty blonde hair shaggy over his ears. He cries and screams horrifically. Once the man has stabbed the boy a dozen or so times in the chest and neck area, he turns the knife on himself. This is the part of the dream that stays with me vividly; he stabs himself about the face and head and shoulders with such force and reckless abandon that it seems like it wouldn't be physically possible. The sound of the knife plunging into his flesh was sickening. Just when he seems like he must succumb to these wounds, he produces a 9mm pistol and places it under his chin. The fountain of gore ejected from the top of his skull made Mortal Kombat look like Street Fighter.

The clip ends and it jumps back to the reporter who happily explains that both the victim and the attacker died, so no investigation is needed.
This type of nonchalant ultra-violence seems to be becoming more acceptable to show on television and to children. Recently in Grand Rapids, MI we had a shooting spree. My nephew and niece were visiting with my sister from southern Indiana and hadn't ever seen anything like that outside of fictional shows and movies. The big three CBS, ABC, NBC affiliates all broke prime time programming to show live camera feeds of where the killer had been that night as well as constantly recount every gory detail of his killing spree. I watched as my mom and dad, sister and brother-in-law sat around the tube, transfixed, while the kids listened to the reports and grew more and more disturbed and upset. It's like everyone wanted them to see it, even though my niece was much too young and my nephew suffers from autism spectrum disorders and has a hard time processing that kind of stuff. My sister doesn't even let them watch SpongeBob for crying out loud! But there she was, basically hypnotized by the news. I finally took the kids outside just because I myself was sick of hearing the story repeated ad infinitum.
So, in summation; I'm not saying that this dream was prophetic or that the killing spree coverage proved it or anything. I do, however, think that it's indicative of the declining standards of decency in America and indeed the "civilized" world in general. This coming from a pot smoking rock and roller who probably has standards more relaxed than most.
What say you, ATS?!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

I couldn't agree more Rico. I too have younger girls in the house, and I try to limit the around and type of shows that they watch. I too agree that the big three or four are slowly desensitizing our country with gore and guts.

It blows me away to think that they are getting away with all of the nonsense on tv today, America is too wrapped up into who Justin Bieber is dating this week, and that designer Paris Hilton is wearing this evening. Nobody cares, yet America is forced to care.

Who cares how old your son is when you finally had him stop breast feeding, it is a CHOICE. Who cares if you see a wardrobe malfunction (Nipple) on TV? We Americans should not be so sensitive to non relevant issues. America gets up in arms when we see a nipple, or topless women swimming, but when it comes to the 5pm news showing a armed robber or mentally instable individual blow his brains all over downtown Grand Rapids, MI, we see nothing wrong with it.

I too am fed up.. S&F

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mbernardin
reply to post by RicoMarston

I couldn't agree more Rico. I too have younger girls in the house, and I try to limit the around and type of shows that they watch. I too agree that the big three or four are slowly desensitizing our country with gore and guts.

It blows me away to think that they are getting away with all of the nonsense on tv today, America is too wrapped up into who Justin Bieber is dating this week, and that designer Paris Hilton is wearing this evening. Nobody cares, yet America is forced to care.

Who cares how old your son is when you finally had him stop breast feeding, it is a CHOICE. Who cares if you see a wardrobe malfunction (Nipple) on TV? We Americans should not be so sensitive to non relevant issues. America gets up in arms when we see a nipple, or topless women swimming, but when it comes to the 5pm news showing a armed robber or mentally instable individual blow his brains all over downtown Grand Rapids, MI, we see nothing wrong with it.

I too am fed up.. S&F

glad to know it's not all in my head. I was starting to think I was just getting old!
You say the big three or four ARE desensitizing us? do you see it as a deliberate operation or something less sinister? I'm on the fence as to whether this is one of the many symptoms of a nation in decline, or an active conspiracy.
The nip slip vs. blood and guts on prime time tv is a great juxtaposition of our morals right now. we freak out about seeing boobies in public, but obsess over images of real world violence and chaos on television and the internet.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Your dream sounds like you were trying to tell others about a problem or fight that was occurring. Here's a quote from a dream dictionary.

To dream of a news reporter represents an aspect of your personality that is informing others about serious problems or important issues.

To dream of knives symbolizes mental and emotional conflict, division, and separation. There are issues with loss or change that you are struggling with in your waking life. [Source: DreamBible.com]
edit on 10-7-2012 by chase9 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join