It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get an undo button?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hello ATS Rulers,

Would it be possible to get an "undo" button on the post screen? I can't tell you how many times I've written a masterful rebuttal that deserved to live in the ATS files for all time, only to accidently hit a key and erase the entire thing. That's really frustrating, as you can imagine.

I don't know if its possible to put an undo button on the screen, but it sure would come in handy.

Thanks,

smylee

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If you're going to write a big post or thread, do it in a word processor, one with auto save!

Will save a lot of heart ache, believe me...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I do that with my opening posts, and you are right...its saved my sanity and my computer from being hurled across the room.

But sometimes when I'm replying to another post, using the quotes and going sentence by sentence....that's hard to do in word and switch over. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Yeah it can be annoying sometimes, I've virtually memorized the bb code for things like quote, Ex text, youtube etc etc, so it's not so time consuming if writing out it out in word...

But to your question, It's not possible, at least not on ATS's end anyway, it's more about your browser's ability to save your work, maybe there's an addon or something that will help...can't say I've really looked into it all that much.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

That answered my question and dashed my hopes. Ah, well.

Thanks for the info!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Have you tried pressing Ctrl+Z? That's an "undo" shortcut key built into Windows I believe. I use it rather often myself and it seems to do the trick. (Not sure which browser you are using, but in Firefox it allows you to press ctrl+Z a few times so you can retrace all the changes you made in the current text box).

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Yes, this is silly -

Even the Crtl Z code (undo) won't work if you are old enough to remember all the Crtl codes. I remember many of them. I use these three all the time....

Ctrl C does
Ctrl X does
Ctrl V does

Yet - Why not undo - is it a hard code to write or something?

Curious?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The most usefull answer I can give you is to write your post on notepad or a similar word processor and then copy/paste into ATS.

It's a hard hab it to get into, but will save you a lot of trouble

~Tenth

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thanks everyone. I'll try some of the control key buttons next time. And I'll put on my big girl panties and write my replies in word.

You should all be proud. You saved my laptop and my sanity. Wish I could give you a star!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I have 3 tips for you, 2 of which have already been given.
Ctrl-Z is a general PC key sequence to "undo" the last action where possible. I use firefox under Linux and Ctrl-Z works in the post text area just fine. Tip number 2 is do not compose posts in the browser.

Tip number 3 and one I use quite regularly, it works on Firefox but I can't vouch for other browsers. Imagine you've made this wonderful, lengthy post and then accidentally closed the browser tab before hitting reply. Don't panic, just click on History in the Firefox menu, then go to Recently Closed Tabs and select the one you accidentally closed. The edit post window is restored with all text.

To the previous poster asking why it couldn't be added as a feature, the text only gets sent to the server when you hit the reply button. Before that time all data is sitting in your browser, not ATS's servers making an undo feature impossible. Hope it helps.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Use firefox, then simply click on "undo" under the dit tab.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks everyone! What great ideas, and I will try them all. Thanks again!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I also found that simply highlighting all the text and using the right click on the mouse "copy" to the clipboard works fine as well. I started doing this, as using word or notepad was frustrating to me simply because of the wordwrap issues. I use a widescreen monitor and when I used notepad etc, and copied and pasted the post, it was mis-formatted.

So, simply copying the text frequently as I post has alleviated the issue for me. I also found this works right before I hit reply in case, for some reason, I lost my internet connection. All it has to do is lightning one time within 50 miles of me and my connection to DSL poofs, so one final copy before I hit reply...

top topics

join