It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DIY handeld White Laser pointer! Real, no joke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Combining Red, Blue, and Green lasers pointer diodes one can make your very own white laser. Plus using combinations of either colors gives a seven color laser. This thing could easily be the most powerful flashlight hehe

See video below and description:

hacknmod.com...

Here is the detailed tutorial:
www.rog8811.com...

Beamshot:

Somehow it come out sideways in the upload..
edit on 053131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 30 May 2012 05:42:56 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Alinging even 2 of those would be a pain. I have alinged optics for solid state class 4 lasers and you NEED 2-3 adjustment screws. Also, some times the laser beam doesn't come out of the pointer straight but, at a small angle. I still think its neat though, I would go with power over colour and just make a fat beam.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The real question is T_P......does it pop balloons?

Pretty neat though, I have a powerful 1W blue laser (Spyder III), (www.wickedlasers.com...), and boy does it burn

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Since a laser beam ionizes the air, forming a type of plasma, it becomes very conductive. You should be able to send a big jolt, like from a stun gun, down the laser. A kind of super tazer, without wires.

Someone tell me why that would not work.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Apparently this one has 1 million watts:

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Since a laser beam ionizes the air

You may want to make sure of this before you continue. At least figure out what sort of power would be required to do so.

A laser of sufficient power to ionize a path through air would be...um...harmful to the target.
edit on 5/30/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Yea I reckon 1-2 watts is more than enough power to pop balloons and other 'civilian' purposes. The question of power and heat dissipation comes into play. Such a thing could never be operated in continuous mode without being burnt out
'

XL5

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
To ionize air you need a powerful UV laser, the power goes up ALOT the further away you get from the UV spectrum towards the IR spectrum.

Also, a 1million watt laser that is only on for a nano second or less can still have an average power of 20milliwatts (less then half a watt), they take a short pulse and make it alot shorter with a q-switch and it rises the power but not the energy. For example, 1joule of energy output from a non q-switched laser beam at 500watts, but when you q-switch it you lose some energy so you get 0.9joules of energy at 1million watts.

Those 1Watt lasers can be operated for a long time, it just depends on how big the heatsink is.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Dude you wasted $300 on a laser pointer? At least show us a picture with a timestamp.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

You would think, but the box on this one claims to have continuous 24/7 use without any damage to the laser, I have never used it for more than 5 minutes at a time, but I have seen others who claim they have not switched it off until the batteries run out. One thing it doesn't state is which mode can be used 24/7, so I'm assuming it is all good.

reply to post by Domo1

No, I paid approx. £210 inc S&H, I don't deal in funny money. And there is a joke there right? Pics or it didn't happen over a laser pen which is readily available online?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Pics or it didn't happen over a laser pen which is readily available online?

Shoot, I could probably buy a Ferrari online. Doesn't mean I did. No joke, show us some pics. I would love to see one of those things in the hands of a normal user. I'm impressed you can afford one. I have some cash saved up but I couldn't justify dropping that kind of money (no matter how funny) on a useless toy. You must have a cool car!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

200 quid isn't an awful lot of money, I'm sure PS3s cost more, as for in the hands of the normal user, there is lots of videos on youtube of the same one, blue and green, and they even shelled out the extra $99 for the cool lightsabre looking add-on.

Oh, and I don't have a car, I have a Ford transit van converted inside into a camper, it even runs on chip pan oil, great for business use as on the outside it just looks like a plain old tranny van.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Dude you wasted $300 on a laser pointer? At least show us a picture with a timestamp.

But it's a laser that can light your pants on fire from 3 blocks away

The real thing to get for that though is the new IR laser pointers that have 1 watt and much higher outputs..

a long range invisible torch.... That is kind of scary though...

top topics

join