It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative Speech Station in UK - any feedback/ advice/ contributors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I'm part of a team starting up an alternative talk station here in the UK. Before we go on air fulltime, we're putting some of our programmes online and seeing what people think/ whether they'd change them or have something else.

So here's the breakfast show as we envisage it. Got any feedback? Too harsh? Anything you'd like to hear? We genuinely want to create a channel that's accountable to people and encourages positive ways of thinking so any help/ contributors/ advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
Kx

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
So what's the plan? Will this be on internet radio or a digital station. I like the idea and there is definitely a market for an Alternative Speech station here in the UK.

I am a big fan of radio, but find here in the UK, we only really have BBC radio and the odd commercial station like Talk sport, which is pretty terrible (although I was a religious listener to George Galloway's Talk Sport show). Galloway's show's were the closest thing we had to Alternative speech radio.

I hope your station is a success.

Keep us updated.

p.s I love your UPS song.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hey there!

Thanks for listening to it! Well, it's going to have to start out on the Internet to demonstrate what it's about, but our team have a sort of business plan, that if it's successful, will mean that it goes onto one or more digital platforms in the next 2 or 3 months.

I don't want to underdeliver, and of course there are broadcasting legalities, the need to have a broadcasting licence, etc. so I've stayed vague about the plan for now, in case. But DAB is definitely our aim!

My show here, is a more prosaic kind of deal than the inspirational stuff I'm sourcing from other places but that's because I feel there's an appetite in most people for light/ trivial news - and if I can discuss those kinds of subjects, whilst offering other ways of consuming them/ other ways of decoding what they're saying, I think that would be a good thing.

But yeah, hoping to acquire some good people and content so if you have any ideas, lemme know!
xx

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I listened to exactly five minutes in. Very divisive (sp?) tone. The rest of the show could have been great. I will never know.

That's how it would be in real life. If I happened upon this show while drinking my tea and dreading the days work ahead, the last thing I would want to hear would be some bird with appearance issues blaming it all on men, even though she's right about the incredibly shallow nature of our media (and most women, and men for that matter).

Wickid idea! Nice one! Your breakfast show needs a very different tone though. I'd be happy to help with future shows, despite living overseas

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by lazernation

I kind of agree with you. I think it's unfair to blame men for the images of women portrayed in the media. The diet and cosmetic companies are billion dollar industries. These are the groups that dictate the Beauty myth.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Definitely. I don't know many intelligent people who read the nonsense the presenter was talking about anyway. Women's issues are of course relevant, but I'd keep it to a minimum on a breakfast show. It ain't an opener, that's for sure.

Humour is what most people want in the morning, even if it's about sad stuff. Or rage
Talk about stuff that gets everybody's backs up rather than just women's.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Hey, this is really interesting! Because I see how it might sound like that if you just tuned in at that point. That little diatribe was actually defending men, and trying to show how the hysteria is attempting to spread to men, who traditionally haven't had as many appearance issues as we have. This really frightens me, by the way, because I see how much headspace these concerns occupy in women and if both genders became absent from life in this way, it'd be a real disaster!

Gonna work on what you say, because year ago, that's what I was criticised for - the derisory thing. (Really have to cut out the swearing too at some point). Thanks for checking it out - let me know if you recommend any podcasts we can approach for rebroadcast or content you might want to contribute.

Cheers
x

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Hey there,

Yeah, I think I've got to address the fact that I sound like I'm blaming men - I'm really not though. I think it's up to women to stop demanding this stuff - to me it often seems like voluntary female enslavement.

Perhaps I'll look at the more highbrow news sites because when you look at the most popular ones, well I personally can't help lapsing into gender issues, because that's what they scream out, haha!

This is all useful feedback, thanks.

x

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerrymac

Hey, this is really interesting! Because I see how it might sound like that if you just tuned in at that point. That little diatribe was actually defending men, and trying to show how the hysteria is attempting to spread to men, who traditionally haven't had as many appearance issues as we have. This really frightens me, by the way, because I see how much headspace these concerns occupy in women and if both genders became absent from life in this way, it'd be a real disaster!

Gonna work on what you say, because year ago, that's what I was criticised for - the derisory thing. (Really have to cut out the swearing too at some point). Thanks for checking it out - let me know if you recommend any podcasts we can approach for rebroadcast or content you might want to contribute.

Cheers
x

haha... I never meant to be derisory. I was being hypothetical.

Keep the swearing
You're aiming at an adult audience, no? I like it anyway...

I'd like to listen to some of your other stuff too. Is this a first go, or do you have more?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
No, y'see there I go again - I meant I'M the derisory one! I get criticised for being like that - not you! Yep, that's how I roll, alienating people in my wake.

Yeah there's lots of other stuff there on kerrymccarpet on youtube - lemme show you a well miffed song I've got about UPS
This is as derisory as it gets!

x

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I think there would be a huge demand for an alternative show,i for one would love to see an alternative show in the uk compared to the BBC's drivvel

I would agree though that the tone could be different,to be honest it just sounds like some girl who seems bitter about stuff,rather feminist tones??? correct me if im wrong not saying it in a bad way,that just seemed to be the vibe i got

edit on 30/5/2012 by ScottishBiker420 because: Butterfingers

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

"You're Wrong". There. Naw, you're probably right. Good to hear what people think before it starts up fulltime! Thanks for checking it out! x

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
This is up and running now by the way (and I'd be very interested in anyone who wanted to contribute to the output).

Thanks for your advice, I've taken on board what people said - the Daily Show's on now (midday UK time, again at 4pm, and again at 8pm, UK) and you can listen to the general station on tx.thesourceradio.com:8000...

Cheers!

xx

new topics

top topics

join