It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In case you still maintain hope for the human species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I quote from the reddit thread attached to this image:-

I'm a mailman. I sometimes drop these little notes into random people's mailboxes.

And further down, in the comments:-

Provenzer0 440 points 15 hours ago

Not sure if creepy or inspirational.

--

JoeyJeremiah 155 points 13 hours ago*

Creepy and hokey.

Let's be honest, some people aren't beautiful and a crap ton of people won't be able to achieve their dreams.

Stop pretending to help people with this self serving nonsense.

--

Atsir 34 points 15 hours ago

Agreed. This is creepy. I'd rather find a (censored) pipe bomb in my mailbox

--

Seriously; WTF? What sort of emotionally dead nihilists, are these people? I wasn't aware that we were already living in the Cursed Earth yet. How truly messed up does a person have to be, to make the comment that they'd rather receive a pipe bomb in their mailbox, than a harmless message from someone trying to be positive? Are Americans in particular, really that far gone?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Seriously, I find that creepy - I don't know that guy, I don't know why he would have put that into my mailbox, his motives would have been completely alien to me. Stalker?

Nope, I couldn't find fun or happyness or even encouragement in a note like that, left anonymously in my mailbox. Why? Because we live in a world full of weirdos and pervs. BTW: I am a trusting person if I meet someone personally and can look into his/her face.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Lol...are you new to the internet or something?

No matter how positive something is you got someone who'll respond with "Gay!"

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
That's not creepy at all. People are beautiful and sometimes a message of hope or inspiration is all that separates a person from hurting themselves. A rare situation to be in if you somehow received an anonymous note like this, odds are slim...but still, if any of those letters made anyone smile just once- that's a wonderful thing. We should all treat each other like long lost friends. I know how sappy and naive that sounds. But we all want to live in a better world, and how do you think it starts?
edit on 30-5-2012 by BasqueIntheDark because: Missing word

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
you have to understand that in this day and age, people are emotionally disconnected from one another. It is this very reason people are going to react to such intrusions into their own lil bubble.

People are also victems of their enviroment in that we are products of such. You have a town full of surly uncaring people, and you produce a town that thinks individually with no concern for their neighbor. This is the division that TPTB have created to keep us complacent and cautious to anothers genuine cause.

It has also made us jaded. I would like nothing more for all of us to live in unabated harmony. unfortunatly the way some people go about their lives has made me take a defensive stance to keep my emotions closed to those I would propose to help in spite of ones plight, self induced or not.

It has also made me wary of the motivations of those who would never put courtesy and compassion to the forefront of their minds. Selfishness is just that and creates more of the same.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Wow...come on. A note like that would make my day...regardless of who wrote it.

Take it for what it is! There doesn't always have to be a sinister undertone or lots of suspicion...........
It seems odd to me that people would ridicule this sort of behavior.
Just grin, like this:
, and enjoy it...ok?
edit on 30-5-2012 by Brad-H because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Brad-H

Agreed! You can keep it simple by simply saying: Stunning! Thanks Postman, I'll take that to heart.

Or you can look at it from a deeper angle:
What are we all after, our absolute bottom line?
Peace and happiness, hopefully. Oh, and of course love, comfort, hope, tranquility and harmony.

This entire site could be seen as a springboard for all the things that is just wrong with our wold, misunderstood about the world, mysteries about the world, sprinkled with a few threads of optimism and beauty about this planet and man and its beauty.

Everyone has solutions from the outside: political, global, financial, social, economical, military etc, while visiting ATS for answers. Answers that we almost don't even know the question anymore. All we do know, is that something is seriously wrong with what's happening to us on our planet.

The real place to start with is within man himself, not in the conference room or the battlefield or the stock exchange. A letter like this in my postbox tells me:

1.) Someone has empathy for me as a fellow human. They know that it is not easy keeping the sunny side up when all your dreams and aspirations have been crushed by difficulty not of your choosing. This person sees me. In the Avatar movie way.

2.) He wishes me well. Truly past the platonic level of 'How are you?' 'I'm fine thank you' when in fact your heart is broken and your belly is empty and your house has fallen apart.

3.) He demonstrates real care. Which means he is a caring human. An example and inspiration.

4.) He is on the right track to a better world.

Nice one! Post man. If you can come to South Africa, I'll tell you where to put one in my postbox!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Seriously, I find that creepy - I don't know that guy, I don't know why he would have put that into my mailbox, his motives would have been completely alien to me. Stalker?

Nope, I couldn't find fun or happyness or even encouragement in a note like that, left anonymously in my mailbox. Why? Because we live in a world full of weirdos and pervs. BTW: I am a trusting person if I meet someone personally and can look into his/her face.

When I first read that note a thought "wtf man, that is completely useless, who is going to benefit from a few worthless words on a stupid piece of paper, especially when it's such a pathetic overused statement with no true depth to it".

... then I read your post and now I know some people could do to have such a note dropped in their mailbox.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I think it's a beautiful thing so judge humanity on that is my advice. Comments on Reddit are usually just done for lulz or post count/karma, never take them seriously.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

When I first read that note a thought "wtf man, that is completely useless, who is going to benefit from a few worthless words on a stupid piece of paper, especially when it's such a pathetic overused statement with no true depth to it".

... then I read your post and now I know some people could do to have such a note dropped in their mailbox.

Maybe it is overused in your country. Maybe you read this on your facebook-wall every day or so.
But to find it in your mailbox? I live in a larger city - who knows what kind of people live in the next street? Why would someone drop such a note in one of a hundred mailboxes in my street?

Okay, look at it this way: maybe you live in a rural area - some thousand people around in the next 10 miles, most of them you see every week or so. You know many of your neighbors, most of them for 10 years or more. You have built up a trust for most of them.

I live in a larger city. In a radius of 10 miles there are about half a million people. I know about 20% of those living in my street (not a very long street), and many of them only for a shorter period as they keep moving to a new appartment/house/whatever. I can't trust every one of those 500.000 people. How should I? Even statistically there have to be some murderers, predators, paedophiles, or just simple weirdos in that crowd.

If someone would have left such a note in my mailbox, I would either be creeped out (my wife would be, for sure) or would drop the note into the bin as some loonys work. Simply because I am only one out of hundred in that street alone, thousands on the way of my postman (my guess). Why would she drop such a note in my mailbox? She usually tries to cramp my magazines all bunched up into the box so that at least one of them would be ripped apart (I talked to her, she shrugged her shoulders, I talked to her manager and got a note saying she was reprimanded and I was given a voucher over 3 €, hurray..)..

Live is different in cities.

top topics

join