It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney wins Texas primary, clinches Republican nomination

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Romney will get the nomination it's over it has always been between Romney and Obama, Paul and his supporters just need to face the reality, and if Paul couldn't carry his own state he had no chance against Obama.

Paul supporters don't have to like it,or agree with it, but that is the way it is.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If Rand Paul or Ron Paul end up being on the ticket, I can see the majority of Paul supporters eventually putting their support behind Romney. I know many here claim that they'll write Paul's name in but come election day there will be a different attitude.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Romney will get the nomination it's over it has always been between Romney and Obama, Paul and his supporters just need to face the reality, and if Paul couldn't carry his own state he had no chance against Obama.

Paul supporters don't have to like it,or agree with it, but that is the way it is.

Actually Romney couldn't carry his own state, Ron Paul got 16 of the 19 delegates. And since the delegate count is what matters, Ron Paul could also win the majority of delegates in Texas as well.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
Actually Romney couldn't carry his own state, Ron Paul got 16 of the 19 delegates.

You're not getting the point. Romney won Michigan, he got 41% of the vote. Ron Paul got 11%. Ron Paul's supporters stormed the michigan convention and pushed some of those delegates to vote against the wishes of their own constituents, but come convention time most of those delegates will go to Romney inevitably.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Alot of people are not getting the point even Al Jazeera says it.

Mitt Romney has clinched the Republican presidential nomination in the US to face Barack Obama in the November election. On Tuesday night he mathematically secured it with a win in the Texas primary after months on the campaign trail to win over skeptical conservative voters.

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Actually Romney couldn't carry his own state, Ron Paul got 16 of the 19 delegates.

You're not getting the point. Romney won Michigan, he got 41% of the vote. Ron Paul got 11%. Ron Paul's supporters stormed the michigan convention and pushed some of those delegates to vote against the wishes of their own constituents, but come convention time most of those delegates will go to Romney inevitably.

The popular vote doesn't matter, why do you think the popular vote doesn't even determine the president in the general election? Your same argument can be made against the electoral college but I bet you only bring it up when it doesn't go in your favor.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The popular vote doesn't matter, why do you think the popular vote doesn't even determine the president in the general election? Your same argument can be made against the electoral college but I bet you only bring it up when it doesn't go in your favor.

The popular vote matters. Of course it does! According to state laws it depends on how the delegates are awarded at the convention. If neither candidate in a state get more than 50% of the popular vote than the delegates become unbound after the third round of voting! It depends state by state though, but no state states that they must win 75% of the popular vote, that's kinda pointless because you already swayed more than half the general population of the state, so there is no point pushing the number any higher.

Some states are unbound, some get unbound after the first round of voting etc... It's not that hard to understand and people are making it harder than it needs to be.
edit on 30-5-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77

The popular vote matters. Of course it does! According to state laws it depends on how the delegates are awarded at the convention. If neither candidate in a state get more than 50% of the popular vote than the delegates become unbound after the third round of voting! It depends state by state though, but no state states that they must win 75% of the popular vote, that's kinda pointless.

Actually according to election laws, delegates can vote for whoever they want regardless if they are "bound".
Read here: us-code.vlex.com...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by matthewgraybeal
Since I'm not going down in a hail of gunfire for the folks so willing to embrace their servitude....My retirement income of 35k and me are moving to Become Ex-Pats to Thailand, or Cambodia. Rent is 200 month for an upscale house, feed yourself on 5$ a week. 420 grows wild, and is a local spice for meals. bye bye usa.

For much the same reasons I began making a home in the central highlands of Mexico about 7 years ago. Although it's only a 3 hour flight back to the US I haven't bothered to visit since '07, and with politics as they are I probably never will again. Then again liberty isn't dead but just starting to get popular again, so who knows?

I pay about $145 a month for a two-story, 3bd, 2 bath, approx 1500 sq. ft. I could carefully buy a simple but nourishing diet for around $5 a week with some effort - made easier to do to allocate that amount per person for several people - though I typically spend quite a bit more. Weather is near perfect year-around. Transportation is cheap and plentiful, and entertainment is largely free. Expat life is a good option these days. I'll do a thread on it soon. U2U me if desired.

Mitt should enjoy his moment while he can. It is likely most Paul supporters will write-in Paul but others who might choose to vote a mainstream candidate mostly say they would favor Obama because they can say adiós to him in 4 years where it may take 8 to get rid of Romney. Paul's numbers may not be enough to win the election but they are big enough to influence the outcome.

edit on 30-5-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

From a Well Known Anti Ron Paul poster

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Yep, Romney won Texas by more than 70% of the vote. Ron Paul? In his own home state he barely has 11% of the vote:
www.realclearpolitics.com...

Did Paul atleast win his district this time? I'll see if I can find the county by county results. In anycase this is reality and it bites for Paul supporters. Romney has won, and no, Paul is not going to be able to turn this around at the convention. It's Romney folks, your GOP nominee!

www.nypost.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)

This almost seems like a troll thread. Somewhat ironic your avatar is the Statue of Liberty.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Actually Romney couldn't carry his own state, Ron Paul got 16 of the 19 delegates. And since the delegate count is what matters, Ron Paul could also win the majority of delegates in Texas as well.

RP is playing the delegate game. And it may win out for him in the end. Or at least I hope it does.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Lol do people seriously think that the delegates are going to vote for ron paul at the convention? Romney has been winning primaries left and right, its pretty obvious that the gop registered voters want him to win the nominatio. I dont think the delegates are going to go against the people.

Primaries are irrelevant. The amount of votes a person get is meaningless. Look into these states that Romney has won and see how many of the delegates that went to RP the delegates are what counts.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
yea, four more years of obama. nice knowing you folks. im still voting ron paul

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

RP is playing the delegate game. And it may win out for him in the end. Or at least I hope it does.

How can it play out for him? I mean, I want the guy to win, but if he loses every single primary, but then steals all the delegates and wins the convention, how does that look to the public? How will he get any respect and any voters to the polls when it will look like nobody's vote mattered?

He needed both. He can't just ignore the popular vote and win the delegates, because it will alienate the voters. They will feel like none of their votes mattered and he stole the nomination.

The only way the delegate strategy was a legitimate strategy was if he also won a few primaries and caucuses and had a legitimate argument for the nomination. Like this thread proves, he can't even win his home state. It wasn't even close.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I voted in the 8th district.

Everyone campaigning outside the voting location only endorsed Romney for some reason.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Honest question.

Why do you avid Obama supporters get so excited about Romney? I'm seeing it all over the site. The most vocal members who support Obama seem so terrified of Paul but you can read the excitement in their words whenever Romney is up.

That just proves to me that Obama and Romney truly are two sides of the same coin. Paul was the one who was different and would have brought change.

Romama 2012, I guess.

Then people will keep crying for the next four years wondering why our country is in the toilet.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
The results are in and the game is over, finally.

Romney wins by a landslide.

The real contenders dropped out long ago with only a fringe candidate, who was out of money and stopped campaigning, left at the end of the race to lose in his home State. That is how the final step to the magic number will be remembered in history for this election cycle.

1144, Ron Paul no more.

1. The results are not in. The state conventions determine the delegate count, not the popular vote.
2. The game is not over, it is over at the convention.
3. You have no idea how the nomination process works, due to buying the MSM's dumbed-down nomination explanation they gave you.

You are just making it harder on yourself to be in such denial.
1 Romney has enough Primary wins to reach 1144 delegates
2 1144 Ron Paul no more
3 Ron Paul's official propaganda website is playing all of you supporters with dumbed down information

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
It is very telling that this thread has only received the bare minimum attention three pages and six flags? What happened to caring about the primaries? Oh they don't matter cause Ron Paul is not supposedly winning them. What a lame excuse. Do you only care about politics if your guy is the headline?

On the contrary, I threw up a thread not too long ago and it is not even completed yet and has over 65 or so flags. I was like wtf??!?! It's trending too. Sometimes this website is too predicatble

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well, obviously since the delegates can vote for whomever they want this win doesn't mean anything for Romney. Seeing a majority of them are Ron Paul supporters...

Honestly, I say Romney is screwed either way. With Paul's delegate strategy he's already won. Romney lost this battle a long time ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join