It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China condemns U.S. gun ownership as human rights violation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal

China is one of the largest countries with human right's abuses, not saying the U.S. is exempt. But surely the record shows what can happen to an unarmed population when they have no means to defend themselves against would be aggressors.

IMO the opinion of China doesn't carry much clout. Just have a look at Tibet where the Universal Declaration of Human Rights including the rights to self-determination, freedom of speech, assembly, movement, expression and travel are revoked or limited.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-5-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

Don't forget, they made it illegal to reincarnate as well.

A dictatorship talking about human rights. This planet is so bass ackwards.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

www.gunpolicy.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.theblessingsofliberty.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...

Switzerland is very armed and their(western) country is almost one big bunker (fortifications of the alps) and im pretty sure every male and potentially females of certain age have fully automatic rifles in their homes as part of the Swiss militia system they have

en.wikipedia.org... list of gun laws of various countries

www.slate.com...

The United Arab Emirates dropped all charges Monday against an American soldier arrested for traveling with gun accessories. It's illegal for foreigners to carry firearms or other weapons paraphernalia into the country without a special permit. Do any foreign states guarantee the right to keep and bear arms like we do in the United States? Yes. Mexico, Haiti, and Guatemala all enshrine the right to pack heat in their constitutions. Guatemala's Article 38 is the only one that's as broad as our Second Amendment (it guarantees "the right of possession of arms for personal use"). Article 10 of the Mexican constitution and Article 268-1 of Haiti's constitution limit the right to the confines of the home and allow the government to pass laws significantly restricting ownership. Mexicans, for example, are supposed to get a permit, renewable every year, from the military, and all firearms must be registered. (The law is widely ignored. Only 4,300 licenses have been issued for Mexico's 105 million people.) Handguns must be .380 caliber or less, shotguns can't be greater than 12 gauge, and rifles must be .30 caliber or smaller. Advertisement A constitutional provision doesn't necessarily guarantee easy access to firearms or a country full of gun enthusiasts. While the United States has 90 guns per 100 people—the highest ownership rate in the world—Mexico has just 15, placing it 22nd among the 59 countries for which data is available.

idiotsguides.com... one more rlevent link for those who are from the outside of the usa as this sums it up kinda simply
edit on 29-5-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

link   
Many ATS members, myself include, seem to belive that a mainland invasion of the U.S. would be impossible due to an armed citizenry. This just confirms that.

link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
It is interesting to note, all other questions aside, that America is the only "western" country I can think of where gun ownership is a constitutional (?) right and a gun is something that a lot of people own and/or have experience with.

With the exception of possibly farmers (shotguns, not glocks!), sports persons and LEO's, I think most if not all of Europe is gun-free. I've lived in 3 countries in my life, UK, Germany, Holland and visited or traveled through 2 others, Belgium and France. I didn't see anyone except LEO's with guns there either.

I must admit the social and practical aspects of it have always interested me. Do people take it everywhere, to work, to bowling, to the bar, etc? Is it all visible? Conceal carry? Etc, etc.

You aren't far off, the Czech Republic (CCW allowed) and Switzerland, plus maybe Serbia are about the closest you can get to constitutional rights for arms.
Norway was pretty good too, but with the Brevik thing that happened that's probably going to end up with 1988 hungerford bans...

In Asia the Phillipines is pretty good for gun ownership (if you are a native that is)...
edit on 29-5-2012 by WatchRider because: addition.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I came across this a few days ago, but none the less the movement is gaining steam throughout the world.

Source

Mérida, 25th May 2012 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – From 1 June the commercial sale of firearms and ammunition will be banned in Venezuela, confirmed Venezuelan Justice and Interior Relations minister Tareck El Aissami yesterday.

Since the measure was first passed on 29 February over 805,000 rounds of ammunition have been recovered by Venezuelan authorities as part of an auditing process of gun stores. These are now held by the Venezuelan Anonymous Company of Military Industries (Cavim), which manufactures ammunition for state security bodies.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
we live in the nuclear age. where a country can eradicate every living soul in another country without sending one troop to foreign soil

so china fearing gun toting americans is laughable considering they have the ability to wipe out every red, white and blue flag waving nra hillbilly with a weapons cache of automatic weapons and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunation in a matter of minutes with icbms.

and you have to consider how well would a rag time group of independent, but well armed group of people, with a limited supply and scare supply of food and water do against a heavily organized chinese invasion force armed with tanks, heavy weapons and rifles

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Second amendment protection against tyranny is a bit of wisdom I guess a budding capitalist society like China has yet to learn. I guess the Chinese think their government is going to remain pure for all eternity.

For such an "ancient" society, you would figure they would know by now about the tendency of power to corrupt people.
edit on 29-5-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

ahh that is a lame stat......

Hardly anybody i know owns a gun. I actually can't think of one person I know who does. There is no purpose for the most part.

The reason the stat works out to 47 % of adults owning a gun is because in about 6-7 states 80% of the population owns 2-3 guns. That accounts for a large portion of the gun ownership.

I'd be curious to know the Percentage of gun ownership from people in the North vs the people in the South.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Who remembers the Tiananmen Square Massacre? Screw the Chinese and the UN! These globalists are the true danger to all free people, some of them obiviously are members of our own country and government.

Not likely that we are going to cooperate willingly when they come and try to collect.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
One of the first things that the communists do, when they take over a government, is outlaw gun ownership. They know that their iron rule will eventually cause people to rebel, and if they have no guns, they are almost helpless in taking back their rights.
The Obama administration is slowly trying to eliminate gun ownership, but they know that they must do it slowly, by limiting the types of guns allowed. Hopefully, the American people will see through Obama's intent.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
“The U.S. people hold between 35 percent and 50 percent of the world' s civilian-owned guns, with every 100 people having 90 guns [and] 47 percent of American adults reported that they had a gun.

Brings a tear to my eye. I can't remember the last time my country made me so proud.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The United States prioritizes the right to keep and bear arms over the protection of citizens' lives and personal security....

...by the state....

yeah, we know that's the point morons

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I think the Chinese need to get their nose out of our business. and who the hell are they to tell us what human rights are. Freedom of Speech is god given...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
As far as a response to a possible invasion by an occupying power based across the Pacific Ocean, the lesson of Viet Nam comes to mind. We got our butts handed to us because the press and our own people were just not up to it and would not support the effort. I do not suggest that if there were an invasion by the Chinese of America that the press would side with us against them or that their own people would dare to object for fear of getting executed, but I think if there was a possibility of resistance that we would make a good showing.

Don't expect anybody to come help us either, we would be in for it on our own. Nobody on the planet gives a rat's ass if we get slammed and they sure aren't going to pony up and help if we get waylaid. I would expect the other bastards on the planet to circle like vultures waiting to pick our bones.

Then the lights on earth go out for a millineum or two and the little side show that was the American experiment becomes a small side note in the tyrranical history of man.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
It is interesting to note, all other questions aside, that America is the only "western" country I can think of where gun ownership is a constitutional (?) right and a gun is something that a lot of people own and/or have experience with.

With the exception of possibly farmers (shotguns, not glocks!), sports persons and LEO's, I think most if not all of Europe is gun-free. I've lived in 3 countries in my life, UK, Germany, Holland and visited or traveled through 2 others, Belgium and France. I didn't see anyone except LEO's with guns there either.

I must admit the social and practical aspects of it have always interested me. Do people take it everywhere, to work, to bowling, to the bar, etc? Is it all visible? Conceal carry? Etc, etc.

Most people in the USA who own guns have a few hunting type arms, and maybe a handgun. The majority do not carry them. However, since the 1990s when Clinton tried to step up gun bans, there has been a broad movement among the states to legalize concealed carry. You'll never know who has a gun here, and that has both reduced violent crime and made people more aware of their gun rights.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
we live in the nuclear age. where a country can eradicate every living soul in another country without sending one troop to foreign soil

so china fearing gun toting americans is laughable considering they have the ability to wipe out every red, white and blue flag waving nra hillbilly with a weapons cache of automatic weapons and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunation in a matter of minutes with icbms.

and you have to consider how well would a rag time group of independent, but well armed group of people, with a limited supply and scare supply of food and water do against a heavily organized chinese invasion force armed with tanks, heavy weapons and rifles

It would be an uphill battle, but as I recall, humans have tenacity for overcoming the odds.

You're also all forgetting the 3rd party in this hypothetical war. The watchers.
edit on 29-5-2012 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

Firstly, China wouldn't just carpet nuke the USA. Not going to happen.

Second, the rag-tag rifle toting Taliban has been giving out high-tech armed forces a really rough time in Afghanistan. People can't live in tanks, and they simply can't go into many parts of the USA due to rough terrain.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Wow the Chinese must be really peeved with Swiss then...

All males under 30, 34 for officers are obliged to keep a Sig SG550 at home as part of the Militia in Switzerland.

But of course China doesn't own Switzerland.

Cosmic..

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharkman
As far as a response to a possible invasion by an occupying power based across the Pacific Ocean, the lesson of Viet Nam comes to mind. We got our butts handed to us because the press and our own people were just not up to it and would not support the effort.

That's bull#. We got our asses handed to us because we were fighting a war in somebody else's backyard, and they were prepared to fight back with ferocity. Besides, the war itself was pathetically unnecessary, ridiculous in scope, and serves as a constant reminder of why we need to keep our collective flies zipped up and our packages contained.

Add to that that most of the troops were simply dope smoking teenagers who didn't want to be over there in the first place, and you'll see that the reason we lost has nothing to do with poor support at home.

Another thing to consider - if the people don't support a military conflict that the government has volunteered them for, what kind of legitimacy does that war have?

NONE.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It's no surprise considering all the land, businesses, etc that China is buying up in the US, not to mention the reports of the US Gov. using China in a take over situation. They push for doing away with guns so they have less resistance if they do. Baby steps.....Baby steps.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join