It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chagas Disease Is Called "The New AIDS of the Americas"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'd never heard of this one but apparently, like AIDS, it is a stubborn, impossible-to-cure disaese with a long incubation and a social stigma attached.

Has anyone heard of this disease? Know anyone who has it or have any first-hand experience? It sounds like a difficult nut to crack, medically speaking. And being spread by mosquitos, hard to defend against. Something else to worry about...

Chagas disease, caused by parasites transmitted to humans by blood-sucking insects, has been named “the new AIDS of the Americas” in a lengthy editorial published in PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. The authors, several of whom are tropical disease experts from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, argue that the dangerous spread of Chagas through this hemisphere somewhat resembles the early spread of H.I.V. ...

...Like AIDS, the authors say, Chagas disease has a long incubation time and is hard or impossible to cure. Chagas infects up to eight million people in the hemisphere, mostly in Bolivia, Mexico, Colombia and Central America. But more than 300,000 of the infected live in the United States, many of them immigrants

More at source (New York Times).

edit on 5/29/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So no one botherd with it until it comes to the usa, by the transportation of immigrents?

Sounds like a nasty desiese, but it seems like they someone is putting a twist on things a little to bring hatred to immigrents.

More should of been looked into it before hand in a humanterian way, but even as a national interest, as it would be only a matter of time before it spreads to the usa.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
its closest relative is spread by the tse tse fly which causes sleeping sickness. I have heard of chagas, never met anybody first hand who had it or anything......only a matter of time befor it got in the usa

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I almost just want to close my eyes and pretend this isnt all happening. Something else to worry about that cant be avoided. I mean how do I prevent a mosquito bite other than not leaving the house without chemicals on, and even then they slip into your house. Geez. Im just gonna go eat cookies and enjoy till its over.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I am on my mobile so I can't search with the greatest of ease...but does anyone else recall the thread where some research folks released a bunch of genetically altered mosquitoes in Florida ...to help quell the population if I recall. Being that this is an unheard of disease...ehh...never mind it's probably a stretch...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Here we are, posted Dec 2011...

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

Sorry, the US, Florida was just the beta test area. Make what you will of this. If you're paranoid then you may believe TPTB are releasing mosquitoes that contain this parasite. On the other side of the fence TPTB could be releasing these genetically modified mosquitoes to counter this new disease that they already knew may end up being a potential problem.

Or, they could have nothing at all to do with one another in the slightest.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This information release during a huge increase in bugs this year? and parasitic insects are at a all time high. must be coincidence

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
its closest relative is spread by the tse tse fly which causes sleeping sickness. I have heard of chagas, never met anybody first hand who had it or anything......only a matter of time befor it got in the usa

I have a cousin that had "sleeping sickness" when she was 18 month's old. She is in her middle sixties. Her mind is OK but her whole life was upset--ruined actually--by the disease that caused her to always stagger like a bad drunk and have speech problems. I can't recall the scientific name.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Sounds more like Lyme Disease than AIDS.

Bet there'll be a new vaccine out in no time.

Orrrr, maybe a little jug of Colloidal Silver would be in order?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I could seriously see a time shortly in our future where "quick travel" (planes) is completely stopped except under quarantine conditions.

Want to go across the sea? Ship and mandatory testing underway.

Gonna wipe out the planet, one way or the other..

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
I am on my mobile so I can't search with the greatest of ease...but does anyone else recall the thread where some research folks released a bunch of genetically altered mosquitoes in Florida ...to help quell the population if I recall. Being that this is an unheard of disease...ehh...never mind it's probably a stretch...

Maybe you should use your brain instead of inventing wild fantasies. It's unheard of in the US, it's not so uncommon in south america. Not a new disease at all.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
AIDS was just made up to kill of gay people.... Whats next?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Maybe, you should use manners and decorum; I deduce that this is beneath your highness however. The "use your brain" portion of your reply…do you feel it was absolutely necessary to get your point across to me or are you just that narrow minded?

To perhaps garner some justification, I skimmed the OP, was on a mobile, and was not in a capacity to research the disease in depth at the time I replied (not that it is a requirement to do so). It is the first I have heard of this disease so to me it is actually unheard of. To the portion of your comment that actually contained a little bit of depth, this may not be very uncommon in Mexico or SA but seemingly isn't as commonly known in the US as you state...for now...but things evolve...things migrate...fantastically speaking of course if I may be allowed to say with your highness's approval.

Just an FYI, I usually prefer not to respond to those with an apparent inability to cordially discuss a topic in relation to thoughts and/or ideas that I post (farfetched or not), if you aren't able to utilize civility to make your point, in doing so I could have replied in kind instead of in this nature, stooping to your level...solely imo, you're only showing me the dull side of your Occam’s Razor.

edit on 5/30/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Lyme and its related co-infections are the real news AIDS. Especially with last winter's mild temperatures ticks will be ferocious this summer. I contracted Lyme in 2007. My Dr's refused to believe I had it (test was negative) and decided I had some other unknown disease instead. They put me on prednisone for a year allowing the disease to run rampant. In 2011 my new Dr. tested me again and the results were 'off the chart'. I spent a month on a central line and heavy doses of antibiotics to kill it. It's a nasty, nasty disease. I was lucky People can have serious damage to the heart and central nervous system. The tests are very unreliable and symptoms can easily be confused with other diseases. Check out 'Under Our Skin' on Hulu for a documentary. It's a serious problem and getting much, much worse.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I just recently saw a presentation on Date Line I believe regarding a girl that had Lyme that wasn't initially diagnosed and caused central nervous issues. They mainly focused on her speech, for whatever reason she will slip into (what many had deemed) sounded like an Eastern European accent. The girl’s doctor says it's merely a speech impediment due to the disease. Scary stuff indeed, I hope all is going well for you.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's most likely something the Elite have slipped into the vaccines, like HIV

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

To perhaps garner some justification, I skimmed the OP, was on a mobile, and was not in a capacity to research the disease in depth at the time I replied (not that it is a requirement to do so). It is the first I have heard of this disease so to me it is actually unheard of. To the portion of your comment that actually contained a little bit of depth, this may not be very uncommon in Mexico or SA but seemingly isn't as commonly known in the US as you state...for now...but things evolve...things migrate...fantastically speaking of course if I may be allowed to say with your highness's approval.

So you are saying you barely read about the topic, didn't attempt to inform yourself at all, yet decided that you would post and give your opinion about something you knew absolutely nothing about.

Exactly what I gathered, you put no effort in and did not use your brain whatsoever just like I said. So I will repeat, use your brain next time. If you're on your mobile bookmark it to post something thought out and relevant when you are able to. And that IS being cordial, I did not belittle your intellect or person, I said your post clearly shows you did not use any critical thinking whatsoever, which you have admitted. I have no idea whether you are stupid or not so to claim you were would be wrong, and poor manners.

It is being introduced into the US mostly by immigrants from SA.
Thanks.

top topics

join