It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen wins right to wear 'Jesus Is Not a Homophobe' T-shirt to school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Teen wins right to wear 'Jesus Is Not a Homophobe' T-shirt to school

Maverick Couch can wear his “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe” T-shirt to school again – without fear of being suspended. The 16-year-old junior at Waynesville High School in Ohio has won a legal fight to wear the shirt, which was a gift from a friend’s aunt, on school grounds.

“I’m really blessed and happy,” he told msnbc.com on Tuesday, a week after he learned of a court action in his favor. “It’s just really amazing. I never thought it would come out like this.”

In the judgment entered May 21, U.S. District Judge Michael Barrett ordered school officials to allow Maverick to wear the T-shirt to school whenever he chooses. He also ordered the school district to pay $20,000 in damages and court costs to the teen.

A kid wears a shirt that basically means Jesus loves everyone and gets suspended for it. So now people will have to sue for their first amendment rights?

While I may not have the best thought on religion this kid is showing what is best about religion. And that is love everyone and be happy with yourself.

You go kid.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Makes me wish I could wear my "Cthulu loves you... in a sandwich" shirt to school. My kid wants to do that right now!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, as long as he doesn't get pissed off if someone wears a shirt that says Jesus is a homophobe in retaliation.

Because that's the problem with these kinds of things. If he can say Jesus is not a homophobe then somebody else has the right to wear a shirt that says oh yes he is.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but rights are not about doing what is popular, but about protecting everybody's rights equally, even that which is unpopular.

This has the great possibility of exploding into people's faces. When it does, I hope he realizes he is responsible for the situation with wearing something that is inflammatory and disrespectful to some people.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

How to the hell do you win a right?

You are born with rights you dont win them. Or do you? It would seem that the more money you have the more rights you have.
More MSNBC mind control.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Hahahahaha... that kid is a complete legend, challenging his school like that and then winning, forcing them to pay him 20K along with the right to wear the shirt. The look on his face in that photo says it all.

edit on 29-5-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: fixed number

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

How to the hell do you win a right?

You are born with rights you dont win them. Or do you? It would seem that the more money you have the more rights you have.
More MSNBC mind control.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

When he was threatened with suspension they took that right away from him.

Next time read the article instead of starting the MSNBC mind control stuff.

top topics

join