It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My life in "The South"...YALL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The point of this is to let people know that not EVERYONE in the south is a typical southerner.I was born in the country on a tractor in S.C. about 40 minutes from the coast. My family were farmers so we have tons of empty land and forest and thats where I roam sometimes on my go kart buggy when there are no waves on the east coast which is usually the case.., although I live on the coast. Thanks to internet, the people arent so dumbed down any more, I attribute their lack of intelligence to religion and media and lack of travel. Still, its pretty bad. Thankfully here where I live is a tourist town so I am surrounded by people from all over. I AM a RON PAUL supporter so Im not a complete idiot,,I DO see through bullshirts. I DESPISE country music , we had 2 radio stations growing up, one country and one disco, it was the 70s. So Im a white guy bass player that sounds like what I dont look like, which is cool. I DESPISE when someone says "wudder" instead of water.."mash" the button dont press it..."yall" but ive heard that everywhere ive ever been...I HATE GRITS...had em like twice,,I prefer to juice organic produce and grow my own on the farm. I like to go to the family farm whos closest neighbor is 2 miles away and hook up my bass and electronic toys and my lazers and be safe and alone with my friends and pretend life is freedom past the moment we leave my land. Gets boring there, so I come home to the beach, walk out at night and sit barefoot on the sand,the drinking and nightlife has never been for me,Id rather sit on the beach and look for ufos, we have THE BEST sand ever,,We have beaches here that are my secret spots,,no one there but me for miles..Its warm here most of the year,so I walk long beach walks for excercise or surf or just look for sharks teeth or a cool shell,both of which we have tons of. I like jazz funk ...My dad thinks im weird because he is a cowboy with the hat and the music that doesnt resonate with me. I travel a bunch, usually surf trips,,but sometimes to utah canyonlands or oregon,cali..the water is kinda cold in cali but the surf is great.. There are no people my age around me really, My acquaintances are mainly sheep but there are a few that know whats up and sometimes in highly unlikely places. Just yesterday on my go kart in the middle of nowhere, I met a black guy with a go kart too , he moved from New York to escape "the reds", a gang he was involved in,,super nice guy too..All of my friends split to better places, but I have responsibilities here that wont allow me to move for long but I do have good friends all over I can go visit ..just none here,,my choice,,I dont know personally anyone resembling the woman that got slammed by anderson cooper about agreeing with the preacher about gays being put in an electric fence and killed. Being from the south there was ALWAYS someone in the church doing some freaky sneaky..I AM NOT religious ,not into it but Im a good guy and better person than most religious people I know here. I actually DO STUFF for others and share..Its very flat here which to me is boring, we could use some Utah scenery..We lack culture here,,everyone says Atlanta is "cultural",,I dont see it..We do have a few slammin ethnic spots and about 10 thai joints....Im ashamed that South Carolina voted for NEWT,,eeew.........If anyone vacations in S.C. I recommend beaches outside of myrtle beach...The WORST living here are the BIKE WEEKS,,,damn! There aint crap to do here but tons of strip malls that have junk,,the bike trails ive all been down and they are all flat..AND DONT tell me to move to Asheville,,If I move it will be somewhere as close to amazing as I can find...although the fishing here is great Im bored and over it,,The musician scene here is slight but there are some really good jammers here, Steve Bailey is from Myrtle beach,,janes Addiction was here last week,,I didnt go,,I went to see Chuck Mangione here though..and Eric Johnson,,I love Jean Luc Ponty.........I could go walk on the pier but a tropical storm is about to pass,,There are no girls here and the ones here look at me like Im EVIL,,too bad Im not into guys because they sure like me..lol,,I like gay people, most are nice to me,.My sister is gay too, we dont get along, she says I like MMA because of the gay looking positions the guys get stuck in,,SHES RIGHT,,IM BUSTED! I just love Kinbo Slice in a screwing position with Cock Lesnar...shes so gay she cant even think straight anymore...this is turning into a rant..Thanks for being bored enough to read about my vent,,thanks YALL

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Would you please format your post better? It needs a lot more paragraphs as it's just a big wall of text. Thank you.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by avatard

What you have written is difficult to read.

Would you please make some paragraphs....thanks!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Kimbo Slice was cool when he was backyard. Dont think much of his UFC fights though.

I get annoyed by stereotypes too

Edit- I read it ok.

edit on 29-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm from the south and have been all over the U.S.
I've come to the conclusion that there is rednecks and hillbillys in every state.
I was born and raised in Texas, and I don't see myself as either of the two.
I sure is proud of where I came from though.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
From what I was able to gather (being from the South as well, I can actually attempt to interpret what he said), here is the gist of the wall'o'text.

BEGIN TRANSLATION:::

I like the South. Please do not stereotype me based on my hometown or geographic location. I do not enjoy country music, nor would I consider myself a redneck.

I play the bass guitar, and when I'm not busy with (insert meaningful activity here), I like to relax at the local beach here in South Carolina, where we have the best sand (edit: That would be incorrect, Pensacola Beach/Destin have the best sand).

I just wanted to take this opportunity to tell YA'LL that I relish living in, and being from, the South.

::::END TRANSLATION

Is that what everyone else came up with?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
Is that what everyone else came up with?

Pretty much. I lived in Macon, Georgia for several years. I wandered the countryside for 100 miles in every direction. It was an eye-opener to me. I'm from the north and had my pre-conceptions, too. One of the most amazing things I discovered is that in the south the races get along better than in the north. There's a lot of interaction that just has to do with living lives.

Secondly, the accents, at least in this area. are relatively mild. I rather enjoy the lilt. You'll be saying "Y'all" within a few weeks like it is the most natural thing in the world. Maybe not "used-to-could," but, then, when I would say "Big Kahuna" nobody there would know what I was talking about either. "Spell me" (as in "Will you take over here for a few minutes so I can have a break?") seemed to elude them as well. They were mystified.

I also discovered "family" is big in the South, as is knowing your neighbors. There's a bit of distrust of strangers. If they don't know you, they won't be selling you beer on Sundays because that's illegal. But if they know who you are, you can always sneak it out the back. That's just the way it is. Outsiders, such as General Sherman, have often ruined their whole day. They haven't forgotten.

I firmly believe that if you have ever lived in the south and actually participated, rather than isolated yourself, that you will always remember it fondly. It's the one other place in America where I could live happily.

People are different. Enjoy it.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
sorry for the wall,,lol,,just a long train of thought...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by avatard

I grew up in Virginia (which is kinda South, kinda Mid-Atlantic), and went to undergraduate in Georgia...

The only things I dislike about the deeper South is the "debutante cotillion" scenes which I inevitably got dragged into, as well as feeling stupid about some slight colloquialisms, i.e., Susie: "You ready? We're fixing to get dressed to go out." I was like: " What needs to be fixed? The auto? LOL"

If you are in SC coastal you are a lucky salty dog

I love HHI and Daufuskie, Bluffton, Beaufort, etc. I would never get sick of it there, so enjoy!!

Thanks for sharing and take care...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I can only hope that nobody "blesses my heart".

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I live in the rural South, N. Georgia mountains. One of the endearing things about the people here, is their ability to attend church on Sunday with the hangover from Sat, with no adverse effects. Truly a Miracle.

Also how interested in everyone's life they are....some might call it nosy. It took me some time to adjust to it being a normal part of life. When old friends back in California would ask me what it was like living in such a rural area. I would tell them..."I sneeze, my phone rings, I answer it, and someone says God Bless You."

I love it in the South. I now find myself referring to people as *Sweet Pea*, a term of endearment. And Hun rolls off my tongue as if I was born saying it instead of the recipients name.

I just love it here....it gives a whole new meaning to slow motion.

Des

edit on 29-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Why would a Southerner bless my heart and only my heart? I mean, there are other parts of my body that could be blessed you know. After all I've never heard a Southerner say "bless your groin" or "bless your brain".

Why is it Bless your heart and only the heart anyhoo?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

It's a Southern thang....

Like driving around the town square on Saturday night...round and round and round...just because it's there.....

Des

top topics

join