It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why your jobs are gone and why it will never come back!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

But how much land do the rich collectively own. Most of them are factory land or land on top of oil fields. Most of these land are useless. And land owned by the rich is very small compared to landmass of a country. What influence can the present rich people have with their comparatively small land ownership. And remember the no. of rich land owners will be vey small once we are knee deep into the crisis started by automation.The same influence the tsar had before the Bolsheviks of Russia took over the country with the help of the navy.
edit on 29/5/12 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET

Originally posted by asen_y2k
reply to post by dyllels

Just imagine what would happen if and when we hit technological singularity. When robotics and A.I will be equal or greater than humans. What they intern will invent and make will eventually be incomprehensible to us.

Trans-humanism is a probable outcome. Just thinking about all this makes my head spin. May you live in interesting times indeed.

I remember reading something here on ATS a while ago. Someone put forward a theory on the next stage of 'mini-evolution', which would see us move from purely carbon based life to a carbon-silicon based life form.
Where our intent and personal characteristics would be still be provided by our human make-up (carbon), but all the calculations and problem solving would be handled from the silicon (A.I) side, which of course would all be inter-connected through an internet of sorts.

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic, but I think it is an interesting thought even if it seems quite scary to me (especially after being exposed to technological leaps in thought-controlled electronics).

Somehow science fiction doesn't seem that impossible, although it isn't a road I personally would like to go down. I prefer the OP's outcome.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Even with machines there are still human jobs, someone has to run the machines. A major factor of job loss is over regulation which forces corporations to go overseas, as well as increased income and property taxes which send the rich fleeing. The middle class are targeted with high taxes and the only available jobs are foreign corporations. The exports diminish, inflation increases, and imports go up in price due to a devalued currency.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yep automation is here to stay and it is indeed a double edge sword and technology progresses and the population increases there will be less jobs available.

The future is bright and dark at the same reason with less people working and paying tax revenue that will create a huge problem for nation states that depend on those funds, further compounded by people who depend on jobs to be able to make a standard of living.

Another brightside the end of unions, that is until someone wants to unionize the robot work force.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

You are talking about the present. Actually all loading, transport etc is in the process of automation. Cars which can drive by themselves have been made my google. Automated loaders and shelf stackers exists. Even doctors can be threatened. Being a med student I often use webmd to make diagnosis and believe me they get it right 99% of the time. In the future robots with human intelligence can make diagnostics and treatment a perfect and efficient process. We have robots that make robots and can even run maintainence on them. 100% automation is not far away.
You also mention that jobs going overseases. Now tell me what can stop a Chinese employer automating his factory. He also wants higher efficiency and low costs doesn't he?
edit on 29/5/12 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
reply to post by Lord Jules

We have robots that make robots and can even run maintainence on them. 100% automation is not far away.

True that.
If you use a sort of hierarchy design in your assembly-line, you can always have a problem solved by a monitoring machine higher up in the chain so to speak. It's basically how human's manage things anyway - first labourers, then managers, then directors, etc.

edit on 29-5-2012 by dyllels because: spelling

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I guess we should start to look for and appriciate custom made items.
They last longer and are of better quality.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
I guess we should start to look for and appriciate custom made items.
They last longer and are of better quality.

But they cost more and how will the general population pay for it when they don't have they money to pay for it due to unemployment.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dyllels

Actually human like robots are enough, running around repairing the main working machines and each others as well. And a central unit to detect faults.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This is why you get a degree in computers or IT, or even graphic design.

If computers are to become as powerful as Gods, what do you call the makers of the Gods?

Either way, I picked the right career field!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Don't get too comfy, machines can make other machines, as another poster pointed out, I think soon programs can write other programs when instructed.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Ya so fawk it, lets roll over and die cuz computa taked our jobs man.
Whatever

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

But you cannot do anything with land unless you have the machines which run on petroleum or gas. Otherwise the whole population must be engaged in farming which is actually very labor intensive.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I can't believe no one has brought up the idea of a human uprising that puts robots in their place. We should do that before they get too much power. I Robot and Terminator come to mind.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join