It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with curse/swear words?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Don't think I'm someone that goes around offending people with my harmless words though, I only ever do so with people I know well to avoid this. [

I have a few points -
Harmless? I think words are pretty powerful.
They convey emotions and can provoke, stimulate, and entice.

Graphic words can indicate a persons social upbringing. (This is a social view not necessarily my specific opinion.)
That it is low class to talk like that. Like a guttermouth.
I know if I am describing a person (I will think of a specific one) She drinks, smokes,
and swears every other word. You will visualize a really trashy girl. And I don't even have to describe how she dresses.(like a streetwalker) If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be a duck.

I do swear. But mostly only when I'm trying to relay HOW mad I am.
or if I stub my toe. And it is wrong to swear in front of kids.

Cursing - If you think back in history when people believed in curses, it was thought that words held power. I forget the actual quote but speaking someones name gave that person power. Like how we will never know the real name of God because saying his name was to powerful. I'll stop before I stray off topic.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I agree with you OP, words are just words. The reason they are "bad" is because people were taught that way. Same could be said to the girl who said if a women is called a # she isn't a women anymore. Just because someone calls a women a # doesn't mean she is nothing but a sexual item, generally when someone calls a women one its because she did something awful and words cannot describe the shame. Same as if a guy is called a dick, that doesn't mean that he's nothing but a dildo, he's just being an a-hole. Its just variation of words.

As for kids, i don't use them with kids, not because i think its wrong or think they should think it is, its because i know they will get in trouble by the school police or parents if they use it.

Its all just how people were taught, like how people are supposed to wear tuxs and dresses to weddings. There is no real reason, its just what society is taught is right.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join