It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What's the deal with curse/swear words?

page: 1
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is something that has never made sense to me, even when I was very little I struggled to understand why people are so offended by certain words, and why it's frowned upon to use them. Words are just noises that we have attached a meaning to, but if you look at the meaning of some of these words they aren't really offensive at all. If some of them are used as an insult directed at you them maybe it's okay to be offended, but just hearing them shouldn't shock people. Of course it's more and more acceptable to swear nowadays, it's mostly older generations that I'm talking about. That being said, I've come across many girls my age (I'm 18) that are offended by the "C" word, they can't explain why but they act as though someone has insulted them when they just hear someone say it, a classic example of an "offensive" word with a not very offensive meaning, I don't get offended by any slang used for the male genitalia.
This is a word I do avoid though, just because how offensive it is considered by a lot of people.

Movies and other forms of entertainment are restricted to age groups, commonly 15+, because they contain strong coarse language. I'm guessing this is so young kids don't pick up the words (pointless really, did the people in charge of ratings attend school?) and use them. Strongly religious people seem to be most offended, not sure why that is, I think most of these words are relatively new inventions so I wouldn't have thought it goes against any religious values, maybe I'm wrong there.

Don't think I'm someone that goes around offending people with my harmless words though, I only ever do so with people I know well to avoid this. There's not really much point in this thread, I just wanted to share my opinion and hopefully you can share yours too. If you are offended by such words, can you tell my why?


Thanks for reading my ramblings.
edit on 29-5-2012 by SpearMint because: shocking grammar

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)




posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


As a Brit all i can say is that swear words have always been a huge part of our language. Going back to 1066 and the Norman take over, the nobility spoke Norman (in order to "get on"), the common man spoke English. Nobility that was loved by the people (not so many originally) tended to learn and then speak English, leaving Norman for only when it was needed. English at this time was literally littered with curse words (well known for it throughout Europe at the time, vulgar, coarse English) and then voila...........years later everyone is swearing all the time.

So personally, i am with you - what is the big deal? I blame those totally hypocritical Victorians that liked to pretend they were virtuous, saintly individuals whereas in reality they reintroduced porn into society and the like.

Probably way off but makes sense (to me).



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I can see what you are saying. But I think the reason not to swear is because its pretty uncivil. I watched a local Rugby League game for the first time in years the other day. I was very surprised to see two people sent off for swearing. At a ground like the one I was at,you can hear the players yell. There are childen in the crowd and people that dont appreciate that kind of language. It would have been unthinkable for a guy to get sent off for swearing at local games when I was a kid. I thought it was good that the refs have decided to be so hard on it.

I guess biting your toungue is about respect for others.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian
 


Thanks for the reply, it does make sense.

I think the whole concept of curse words will die out in generations to come because of how acceptable it is in the newer generations, either that or they'll be so overused that new ones will be invented.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
I can see what you are saying. But I think the reason not to swear is because its pretty uncivil. I watched a local Rugby League game for the first time in years the other day. I was very surprised to see two people sent off for swearing. At a ground like the one I was at,you can hear the players yell. There are childen in the crowd and people that dont appreciate that kind of language. It would have been unthinkable for a guy to get sent off for swearing at local games when I was a kid. I thought it was good that the refs have decided to be so hard on it.

I guess biting your toungue is about respect for others.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)


I see what you're saying, but why is it uncivil? I don't understand the whole taboo around words that aren't offensive if you consider their meaning.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The only real reason is because they are taught to be offended. That's it. They can't really help themselves and don't really have a thick skin.

The biggest thing that gets me though is how they use children to shield themselves from offensive words.

If people would learn to have a thicker skin and not let things bother them things would be better.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


I would think people are offended by these words mainly in two different ways.

The first are sexually explicit language (f***, c***, d***, etc.) These words take sexual relations, something that should be valued and cherished, and demeans it.

The other is profanities against God (G.D, J.C., H.S., etc.) when used in a cursory manner. They show a lack of respect toward God and religion. I think this goes across most of the world's religion and is similar to why Muslims are offended by the "Draw Mohammed" contests and cartoonish depictions.

And why are we more protective about these words around children? My guess would be that children, to some extent, have a lesser understanding about the beauty of both God/spirituality and sexual relationships. Both of these can be beautiful things if not denigrated in young minds.

edit on 5/29/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: fix typo



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
The only real reason is because they are taught to be offended. That's it. They can't really help themselves and don't really have a thick skin.

The biggest thing that gets me though is how they use children to shield themselves from offensive words.

If people would learn to have a thicker skin and not let things bother them things would be better.



That's very true. Maybe this will cause them to be around longer. Even with my attitude towards them, when I (hopefully) have children I'll teach them not to swear just because I don't want them to offend others and be judged. That may be the only reason they're even around now.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
reply to post by SpearMint
 


I would think people are offended by these words mainly in two different ways.

The first are sexually explicit language (f***, c***, d***, etc.) These words take sexual relations, something that should be valued and cherished, and demeans it.

The other is profanities against God (G.D, J.C., H.S., etc.) when used in a cursory manner. They show a lack of respect toward God and religion. I think this goes across most of the world's religion and is similar to why Muslims are offended by the "Draw Mohammed" contests and cartoonish depictions.

And why are we more protective about these words around children? My guess would be that children, to some extent, have a lesser understanding about the beauty of both God/spirituality and sexual relationships. Both of these can be beautiful things if not denigrated in young minds.

edit on 5/29/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: fix typo


You made some good points there. I understand how those words may offend religious people, I wasn't really counting them as the words in question but I see how they would be put in that category by certain people.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Germanicus
I can see what you are saying. But I think the reason not to swear is because its pretty uncivil. I watched a local Rugby League game for the first time in years the other day. I was very surprised to see two people sent off for swearing. At a ground like the one I was at,you can hear the players yell. There are childen in the crowd and people that dont appreciate that kind of language. It would have been unthinkable for a guy to get sent off for swearing at local games when I was a kid. I thought it was good that the refs have decided to be so hard on it.

I guess biting your toungue is about respect for others.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)


I see what you're saying, but why is it uncivil? I don't understand the whole taboo around words that aren't offensive if you consider their meaning.


Yeah. It is silly. I can be rude when I get upset. Swearing is just expressing an emotion. Some people just seem to be hysterical about it for whatever reason.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


First of all, I would like to commend you on how articulate you are for being 18. Not very many of the people my age (I'll be 21 in 22 days) have a decent structure of grammar and punctuation. And majority of them are high school graduates! I, on the other hand, dropped out when I was 15. Most people who hear this are kind of shocked because of my ability to speak in a mature manner with people of higher generations. That and my limitless capacity for "useless" knowledge. Haha.

As far as your post. I agree with you completely! I've never understood why the vast majority take such offense to what is deemed "foul" language. Personally, I am not bothered one bit by swear/curse words. One thing I don't like is racism. The words associated with don't bother me as much, it's the context of how they are used. If you simply hate black people because they're black, I would call you ignorant. This is slightly hypocritical of me, though, because I too use the words from time to time to display my disdain for people who are generally disrespectful for no apparent reason.
But words like, "F***", "S#!+", the C word, etc. should not offend people for the simple fact that they are merely words. It's society that has deemed them "disrespectful." Of course I think you should watch for this kind of speech in front of small children, but they'll pick it up from somewhere, sooner or later.
As it stands, my favorite word of all time is probably the F bomb. It's so versatile! I can literally describe ANYTHING that I'm thinking or feeling, in any intensity, just by using it as an adjective.

And while having an extended vocabulary is a relative sign of intelligence and maturity, sometimes it's just easier to use the smaller words.


Good post!
S&F



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by Germanicus
I can see what you are saying. But I think the reason not to swear is because its pretty uncivil. I watched a local Rugby League game for the first time in years the other day. I was very surprised to see two people sent off for swearing. At a ground like the one I was at,you can hear the players yell. There are childen in the crowd and people that dont appreciate that kind of language. It would have been unthinkable for a guy to get sent off for swearing at local games when I was a kid. I thought it was good that the refs have decided to be so hard on it.

I guess biting your toungue is about respect for others.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)


I see what you're saying, but why is it uncivil? I don't understand the whole taboo around words that aren't offensive if you consider their meaning.


Yeah. It is silly. I can be rude when I get upset. Swearing is just expressing an emotion. Some people just seem to be hysterical about it for whatever reason.


And as well as expressing emotion, aggressively swearing can actually increase pain tolerance due to the release of adrenaline. Irrelevant really but interesting nonetheless.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TooManyTheories
reply to post by SpearMint
 


First of all, I would like to commend you on how articulate you are for being 18. Not very many of the people my age (I'll be 21 in 22 days) have a decent structure of grammar and punctuation. And majority of them are high school graduates! I, on the other hand, dropped out when I was 15. Most people who hear this are kind of shocked because of my ability to speak in a mature manner with people of higher generations. That and my limitless capacity for "useless" knowledge. Haha.

As far as your post. I agree with you completely! I've never understood why the vast majority take such offense to what is deemed "foul" language. Personally, I am not bothered one bit by swear/curse words. One thing I don't like is racism. The words associated with don't bother me as much, it's the context of how they are used. If you simply hate black people because they're black, I would call you ignorant. This is slightly hypocritical of me, though, because I too use the words from time to time to display my disdain for people who are generally disrespectful for no apparent reason.
But words like, "F***", "S#!+", the C word, etc. should not offend people for the simple fact that they are merely words. It's society that has deemed them "disrespectful." Of course I think you should watch for this kind of speech in front of small children, but they'll pick it up from somewhere, sooner or later.
As it stands, my favorite word of all time is probably the F bomb. It's so versatile! I can literally describe ANYTHING that I'm thinking or feeling, in any intensity, just by using it as an adjective.

And while having an extended vocabulary is a relative sign of intelligence and maturity, sometimes it's just easier to use the smaller words.


Good post!
S&F


Yea I completely understand words associated with racism being offensive, I frown upon racism and that should definitely be avoided since it encourages hatred and discourages acceptance of other cultures. I never really considered how versatile the F word is before, that's so true, one word can express so much!

Thank you very much for your compliment too.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 

I don't have too many problems with people "swearing" as long as it isn't around young children. I have been known to cuss like a sailor upon occasion, but I try very hard not to let foul language slip out around little ones. Small children for some reason nobody has figured out yet tend to pick up on and parrot swear words quickly and more easily than most other words. Ask any parent or grandparent!
A toddler who can barely say his own name can for some odd reason parrot the " f-word" to perfection. This isn't good for the child, who will find out very quickly that it will get them into big trouble! A child doesn't know what the swear word means- and shouldn't! Therefore it is best if a small child doesn't hear such words at all.

The way I feel is that if your vocabulary is so limited that you can't get your point across without using swear words around little children then maybe you need to save the conversation for another time.

Anyway, that's my opinion. And for the record I am a mother and grandmother who is currently raising a two year old grandchild whom I would prefer not to spit out swear words until she's much older and able to understand their meanings.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I often wonder why the word Wanker is allowed in the US but elsewhere it's not..

Yet they cannot even say cock in subtle context on tv.

"Don't show me your Beep, you must be a wanker!"

Or just recently on the simpsons, lady gaga was on.. ugh... her bewbs were burning flames, and flanders says "Now missy unless you put some wieners on those things, put them out" or something.

The context was there, but hidden. Doodles on her boobies. perhaps it's just me, but then smithers loved the day it was all he could eat wieners at burns afair once...

It's a funny old world.

But I don't like to hear curse words for the sake of it... unless I'm watching Craig Fergusson...


Balls..

And fanny... over here, thats a .. front bottom for the leddies.

you guys get to pat them, grab them, shake them.. makes for an awkward outcome if you're from /not your region/ I shall say!


edit on 29-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16
 


Thanks for sharing your view. I completely agree with you, I didn't actually consider that the actual meaning of the words is inappropriate for small children too, I was too fixated on the affect of using the words.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint
 


Speaking as a female, I can tell you why I hate the "c" and the "b" word.

When you call a girl a c, then you've dehumanized her. She's no longer a person, but a sexual object. That's degrading, to be blunt.

Hope that made sense!



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by SpearMint
 


Speaking as a female, I can tell you why I hate the "c" and the "b" word.

When you call a girl a c, then you've dehumanized her. She's no longer a person, but a sexual object. That's degrading, to be blunt.

Hope that made sense!


That makes a lot of sense when used in that manor, a lot of the time girls get offended when it's used in conversation and not intended as an insult too though. It's actually quite commonly used by young people where I live. Thanks for explaining that to me.

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
I often wonder why the word Wanker is allowed in the US but elsewhere it's not..

Yet they cannot even say cock in subtle context on tv.

"Don't show me your Beep, you must be a wanker!"

Or just recently on the simpsons, lady gaga was on.. ugh... her bewbs were burning flames, and flanders says "Now missy unless you put some wieners on those things, put them out" or something.

The context was there, but hidden. Doodles on her boobies. perhaps it's just me, but then smithers loved the day it was all he could eat wieners at burns afair once...

It's a funny old world.

But I don't like to hear curse words for the sake of it... unless I'm watching Craig Fergusson...


Balls..

And fanny... over here, thats a .. front bottom for the leddies.

you guys get to pat them, grab them, shake them.. makes for an awkward outcome if you're from /not your region/ I shall say!


edit on 29-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)


I think they're definitely intentional innuendos, I guess they're there to entertain older viewers but go straight over the heads of younger viewers. It does seem strange that it's allowed whilst other things are not, even though it's quite amusing. I don't think The Simpsons will ever stop entertaining me...


I admire your taste in TV sir.



posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I hate that i swear, its a horrible habbit i picked up from my father


I would rather have had elocution and etiquette lessons to better myself and my opportunities.
i hate my accent, i have to think before i speak so i don't sound like a Bogan.

love and harmony
Whateva



new topics

top topics



 
4
<<   2 >>

log in

join