It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fermi Labs: possible Dark Matter particle annihilation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
How to make a line

Really, I don't have the knowledge to understand the linked text completely (for example, what does this mean:

In this model the mediator between the dark and visible matter is a Z' vector boson, who is coupled in a funny way to the Standard Model via the Chern-Simons term Z' Z γ (one can consider it an effective coupling after some exotic chiral fermions charged both under the Standard Model and Z' have been integrated out).
?). I don't know, I am not a particle physicist.

Anyway: possible traces of the annihilation of a dark matter particle were found.

And there are some very nice and interesting things mentioned: obviously, scientists are ready to play with dark matter by finding tracks in data from the Fermi gamma-ray telescope. I would have thought that these particles are far out of our reach with the given instruments - maybe not. Fantastic work, really!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Just a small correction. There is Fermilab(Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory) and there is Fermi LAT(Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope).

The blog post is about the latter.

I am not I particle physicist either, not up to discuss the details.

But the general message is quite clear. There is something new out there.

For this reason, models fitting the Fermi line have to somehow shut off the tree-level annihilation channels and make the annihilation into photons dominant or nearly dominant. This is tricky and typically requires introducing a turtle standing on an elephant standing upon a giant turtle, as you can see on arXiv every day.

Sincerely, what do I think? Well, Nature is a bitch, and that has been especially true with regard to dark matter. So far we've been denied any insight into the identity of the dark matter particle, in spite of tedious efforts in numerous direct and indirect detection or collider experiments. A monochromatic gamma-ray line -- an undeniable smoking gun of dark matter -- just sounds too good to be true. Thus, my best guess is that she's screwing with us again, and the line will be explained away by some instrumental effect.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's not dark matter, but dark energy.
Enough energy to create & destroy mass at any given time, at every given point, according to the fields in that space. Matter is continually being created & destroyed, all around you, in you, zillions of times per second.
Let's see how long it takes them to figure it out....
ETA: Flagged, because you put 'possible' in the title

edit on 29-5-2012 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
How to make a line

Really, I don't have the knowledge to understand the linked text completely (for example, what does this mean:

In this model the mediator between the dark and visible matter is a Z' vector boson, who is coupled in a funny way to the Standard Model via the Chern-Simons term Z' Z γ (one can consider it an effective coupling after some exotic chiral fermions charged both under the Standard Model and Z' have been integrated out).
?). I don't know, I am not a particle physicist.

Anyway: possible traces of the annihilation of a dark matter particle were found.

And there are some very nice and interesting things mentioned: obviously, scientists are ready to play with dark matter by finding tracks in data from the Fermi gamma-ray telescope. I would have thought that these particles are far out of our reach with the given instruments - maybe not. Fantastic work, really!

It has to do with neutrinos, but it's been a while and I don't remember exactly what , sorry

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Well hopefully it's not just mother nature screwing with them like the blogger states it might be. Dark matter has certainly proven vexatious enough so far.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Just a small correction. There is Fermilab(Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory) and there is Fermi LAT(Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope).

The blog post is about the latter.

I am not I particle physicist either, not up to discuss the details.

But the general message is quite clear. There is something new out there.

For this reason, models fitting the Fermi line have to somehow shut off the tree-level annihilation channels and make the annihilation into photons dominant or nearly dominant. This is tricky and typically requires introducing a turtle standing on an elephant standing upon a giant turtle, as you can see on arXiv every day.

Sincerely, what do I think? Well, Nature is a bitch, and that has been especially true with regard to dark matter. So far we've been denied any insight into the identity of the dark matter particle, in spite of tedious efforts in numerous direct and indirect detection or collider experiments. A monochromatic gamma-ray line -- an undeniable smoking gun of dark matter -- just sounds too good to be true. Thus, my best guess is that she's screwing with us again, and the line will be explained away by some instrumental effect.

You are right, of course. I had checked it out (and corrected it) when I wrote the text, but forgot to change the headline.
edit on 30-5-2012 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join