It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.8 Magnitute Quake Strikes Italy - 6 Possile Dead So Far

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
At the moment, 15 are reported dead and 7 missing. More than 200 wounded. Seismologists say that the quakes will go on for a while and also that these are definitely not aftershocks of the 20 May quake but a new phenomena.

Corriere della Sera (in Italian)

I am actually in south of Italy (Naples), quake live news are on almost all the tv channels. More than 7.000 people are homeless due to the quake, adding up to the 6.000 of the 20 may quake. The damage to the historical buildings is massive. I pray for the people of the Emilia Romagna region, land of Parmesan cheese, mortadella, Parma ham, Lambrusco and many other delicious foods and wines.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Is it normal for this area to have quakes of this mag so close together?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
what is unfortunate is that the north is an industrial/economic powerhouse, without it italy would go the way of greece.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw

No, it isn't. I don't remember any earthquake there. I lived there and my family still there too. It's serious.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You may find this video interesting regarding Volcano and Earthquake watch for May 30 thru June 5th.
From the recent activity it seems to be something to consider...

or you can go here: Youtube

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by CodyOutlaw

No, it isn't. I don't remember any earthquake there. I lived there and my family still there too. It's serious.

Thank you; it's definitely interesting then.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The SCARDEC analysis says this is a Mag 6.0 Mw, which does not surprise me looking at the seismograms.

www.geoazur.net...

LDEO have 6.0 followed by 5.7

2012 5 29 10 56 0.0 45.00 11.00 33.0 5.7 NORTHERN ITALY
2012 5 29 7 0 8.0 45.00 11.00 33.0 6.0 NORTHERN ITALY

www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It is normal, it is a relatively high seismic area (not as much as Japan but is still from the more active ones). There has been earthquakes in neighboring countries as well - as east as the Black sea and North of the epicenter as well was felt.

I asked are these geologist blind to see there is a connection between the Italy earthquakes and the ones happeing after on other places? The ones on other places happened hours after the ones in Italy.However, they say that there are different tectonic plates and some countries further away from Italy do not have their epicenter caused by the one in Italy and are totally separate.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by Forevever
I just noticed this headline on CNN - in yellow - claiming BREAKING NEWS.....

But now I live in South France, just on the other side of the border from Italy, and these are scaring me.
Because our home is made of stones, it is three hundred years old, built on the side of a steep slope, with caverns underneath. Nothing here is made to withstand earthquakes- we are even near a nuclear plant that has only been made to withstand a 4.something.

The more of these we've had coming closer the last few weeks the more scary it is. Everything is relative.

I saw images & video of where people were crushed by falling masonry, including babies & children while out shopping in their lunch time break, during our Christchurch 2011 earthquake, and let me tell you that you suddenly acquire a serious fear of the brick & block building in your city!

Though it was only a 6.3 it has resulted in over 180 deaths and around 50% of our city to be destroyed or since demolished. The psychological effects on the people from these deadly quakes will last a longtime. I certainly know it has impacted on myself, wife and two children (11 yo daughter has had to have regular counseling to help overcome her fears). Unfortunately we continue to be rattled by regular quakes.

All I can say Bluesma and anyone else in earthquake prone areas, is to be prepared; meaning have emergency supplies on hand, and a disaster plan in place for immediate family.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
It is normal, it is a relatively high seismic area (not as much as Japan but is still from the more active ones). There has been earthquakes in neighboring countries as well - as east as the Black sea and North of the epicenter as well was felt.

I asked are these geologist blind to see there is a connection between the Italy earthquakes and the ones happeing after on other places? The ones on other places happened hours after the ones in Italy.However, they say that there are different tectonic plates and some countries further away from Italy do not have their epicenter caused by the one in Italy and are totally separate.

No, it isn't normal. If we were talking about the south of Italy, then you can call it normal. The Emilia-Romagna Region is very far from the italian seismic area and earthquakes are more than rare. Please look at the chart here :

en.wikipedia.org...

There you will find this :

This one was about 900 year ago : 1117-01-03 North Italy, Alps, Southern Germany 1117 Verona earthquake.
(north, but not the region).

This one more than 400 years ago : 1570-11-17 19:10 Ferrara 70-200 1570 Ferrara earthquake.

This one nine years ago : 2003-09-11 23:42 Emilia-Romagna, Bologna 5.0

Now, this year we had all these :

2012-01-27[21] 15:53 Emilia-Romagna44.517°N 9.892°E 5.3
2012-05-20[24] 04:03 Emilia Romagna44.800°N 11.192°E 6.12012 Emilia earthquakes.
2012-05-29 09:00 Mirandola, Medolla and San Felice sul Panaro 5.9 2012 Emilia earthquakes.

Normal?????....no way.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by Imtor

No, it isn't normal. If we were talking about the south of Italy, then you can call it normal. The Emilia-Romagna Region is very far from the italian seismic area and earthquakes are more than rare. Please look at the chart here :

en.wikipedia.org...

There you will find this :

This one was about 900 year ago : 1117-01-03 North Italy, Alps, Southern Germany 1117 Verona earthquake.
(north, but not the region).

This one more than 400 years ago : 1570-11-17 19:10 Ferrara 70-200 1570 Ferrara earthquake.

This one nine years ago : 2003-09-11 23:42 Emilia-Romagna, Bologna 5.0

Now, this year we had all these :

2012-01-27[21] 15:53 Emilia-Romagna44.517°N 9.892°E 5.3
2012-05-20[24] 04:03 Emilia Romagna44.800°N 11.192°E 6.12012 Emilia earthquakes.
2012-05-29 09:00 Mirandola, Medolla and San Felice sul Panaro 5.9 2012 Emilia earthquakes.

Normal?????....no way.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

This is not normal as such due to the size and depth at a location which is far from where the Eurasian plate subducts the African plate, which generally causes such earthquakes in southern Italy. So from that point of view it is an unusual earthquake. However, you do have various fault lines running through mountainous areas in Italy, you have the Adria microplate which also is being subducted by the Eurasian plate. These can all cause earthquakes further north. One thing to note is that where an earthquake occurs, the pressure is then transferred further up the line. The Earthquake that struck a few weeks ago, also could've contributed towards this earthquake.

It is very unusual for the north to get hit by such earthquakes, but I don't think it is cause for alarm in the grand scheme of things due to Italy being a rather active seismic region as a whole.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is unnerving, especially when combined with the previous earthquake in Italy as well as the earthquake and string aftershocks in Bulgaria. I have extended family in both countries who've been effected by the quakes, and while they haven't been harmed, general consensus on those parts is that this is just not normal.

Hope they stop soon, but either mother Earth is getting pissed off, or these government lunatics need to stop screwing around with HAARP.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Good old Wikipedia....

What about the May 1976 earthquake, which was considerably stronger than this one and caused much more damage too?
The epicenter wasn't in Emilia-Romagna, it was in nearby Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, but it's still worth mentioning.

edit on 30-5-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

The Friuli quake of 1976 happened in a rocky region (check this pdf in italian Tettonica terremoto Friuli 1976 from the Italian Geophysics and Vulcanology Institute, INGV) while the quakes of May 2012 happened in the "Pianura Padana", a very sandy plain formed during millennia with materials flowing with the several rivers crossing the region.

A very interesting (and scary) phenomenon associated with this quakes is the "sand liquefaction": when shaking a sandy area crossed by many water wells and rivers, the sand melts. Houses and basements have been filled by sands coming up. It's the same phenomenon happened with the Kobe earthquake and also the New Zealand one of 2011. Here you can watch a video (in Italian) showing the dynamics of this liquefaction: source

The earth is still shaking, with tens of shocks felt by the population. The number of casualties has been updated, they are 17 now.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra
reply to post by Trueman

Good old Wikipedia....

What about the May 1976 earthquake, which was considerably stronger than this one and caused much more damage too?
The epicenter wasn't in Emilia-Romagna, it was in nearby Friuli-Venezia-Giulia, but it's still worth mentioning.

edit on 30-5-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

You already answer you question, it's another region. Also if you compare it with earthquake stats of southern Italy, it's a big difference. I lived in Bologna many years as I already said, cities in that region are not built to resist earthquakes for some reason.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I like to follow Dutchsinse on youtube. He reports that Fracking in that area probably is the cause of the earthquakes.

www.youtube.com...

Some will say this is far-fetched, but over the months he has proven that many earthquakes happen within a mile or so of fracking operations. Indeed this is the case with this latest earthquake. Getting harder to deny the relationship of the two.

Also USGS is now playing games with both location and intensity. They can no longer be trusted. But then what agency of the US Government can be trusted?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benchkey

You might be right, I just came back home and got this article (italian), you all take a look :

(Translation)

It 's the case of Rivara, a small town between San Felice sul Panaro and Finale Emilia, the areas most affected by the earthquake of May 20 and that of this morning, May 29, which caused five deaths. Rivara is taking place just a real duel between the residents and the ERG Rivara Storage has designed a large underground storage capacity of 3.2 billion cubic meters of gas over an area of 120 square miles (to make the 'idea, the space they occupy 18 thousand football fields) and a pressure of 290 Bar, or about one hundred times higher than that present in the tires of an automobile.
It should be noted that the ERG Rivara Storage is not due to large company based in Genoa, but it is a company that has its own Srl based in Modena, with a capital of 60 million euros of which holds the ERG 15% and 85% of Independent Resources plc, a British multinational that denounces capital of about 15 million pounds and is controlled by the Italian geologist Roberto Bencini, as well as the entrepreneur of the oil field Grayson Nash and other members trustees who hold 25%.
The design of the deposit for underground storage is considered extremely safe by local ERG Rivara Storage, so that the Government Commission Environmental Impact Assessment has already given its approval, even if not yet given the green light of the Emilia Romagna.

www.ogginotizie.it...

Also, from the same source :

At the left of the graphic you can see the epicenters, and the right one are the areas related to the fracking activities. The big letters say : "EVERYTHING MATCHES".

(Translation)

Generated by drilling into the chasms of various substances are injected composition secret (top secret industry) that would trigger the second cause of earthquakes.
According to official sources, the beginning of the year in Italy there were 632 shocks, all in northern Italy, and all at the so-called "Shale Gas" or areas dedicated to the practice of exploration and drilling in the jargon called fracking .

www.ogginotizie.it...

I want to see now who else wants to call this "normal"

But that is not all, here another italian article from another source :

(Translation)

Dr. Maria Rita d'Orsogna, Professor of Mathematics at the University of Northridge, California, In unexpected times when , (2008) she approached the idea of develope oil industry in Abruzzo.

She had a series of press conferences, she preferred to disclose the effects of drilling for oil mostly in Italy.

Besides talking about what are the damages caused by hydrogen sulfide or hydrogen sulfide that causes changes in DNA, cancer and instant loss of memory as well as immediate and permanent damage in the brain, he also talked about something that everyone has placed second in plan: The earthquake.

This is so typical, a lonely scientist warning the world before the disaster and nobody cares. She talked about it in 2008. No it's late.

www.you-ng.it... 59
edit on 30-5-2012 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1

I saw images & video of where people were crushed by falling masonry, including babies & children while out shopping in their lunch time break, during our Christchurch 2011 earthquake, and let me tell you that you suddenly acquire a serious fear of the brick & block building in your city!

Though it was only a 6.3 it has resulted in over 180 deaths and around 50% of our city to be destroyed or since demolished. The psychological effects on the people from these deadly quakes will last a longtime. I certainly know it has impacted on myself, wife and two children (11 yo daughter has had to have regular counseling to help overcome her fears). Unfortunately we continue to be rattled by regular quakes.

All I can say Bluesma and anyone else in earthquake prone areas, is to be prepared; meaning have emergency supplies on hand, and a disaster plan in place for immediate family.

That sounds terrifying, I feel lots of sympathy for you and yours!
Since I commented here, there has been another earthquake, which had it's epicenter right near me- it was a 2.6, not too bad... but as I have been watchign the quakes travel through closer and closer, it has me nervous.

We have a lot of supplies, I just have troubel figuring out how we could even exit the house or get to a safer area if it happene while inside- the whole darned area is dangerous!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join