It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.8 Magnitute Quake Strikes Italy - 6 Possile Dead So Far

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

5.8 Magnitute Quake Strikes Italy - 6 Possible Dead So Far

www.nzherald.co.nz

A magnitude 5.8 earthquake has been reported in Northern Italy.

The earthquake was centred 70 km south of Verona, according to the US Geological Service.

There are no reports of damage or injury yet.

The quake comes a week after another 6.0 earthquake killed at least 6 people in Northern Italy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
earthquake.usgs.gov

LOCATION MAP
edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: add map

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: Update

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: updated

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Not good news for the people of Italy, knowing how damaging even these size quakes can be, especially in built-up areas, and in places that have the type of easily damaged brick style building that can be found there.

Too early for details to come in from other sources, but could imagine that there's been some structural damage.

www.nzherald.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

LIVE ITALIAN NEWS

Being reported on Italian Sky news.
edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: Add live news link

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: fix link

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
On the live feed they are already showing video of damaged buildings.

This new quake was very close to the 6.0 just over a week ago that killed several people.

(Reuters) - An earthquake was felt through much of northern Italy on Tuesday, just over a week after a tremor struck the region killing seven people and destroying or damaging hundreds of buildings.

Italian media said the latest earthquake caused more buildings to collapse in the areas already affected by the previous quake, where thousands are still sleeping outdoors in tents.

Television station Rai said some schools had been evacuated as far south as Florence.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the epicenter of Tuesday's 5.8 magnitude earthquake, which struck at depth of 9.6 km (6 miles), was less than 30 km (19 miles) from Modena, not far from where the magnitude 6 earthquake struck just over a week ago.

Messages posted on Twitter and other social media suggested the shake was felt across northern Italy.

"We felt a very strong tremor," said Raffaella Besola, a resident of Bologna.

The Italian civil protection department said it was carrying out checks in Modena province.

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Thanks for this thread, my family is in Bologna (pretty close). I guess I have to call them asap, as I did after thre previous quake.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

My pleasure Trueman. I trust that you find that all your family are well.

Please update us on any news about their experience and any other feedback you would like to share.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
also 3 other quakes of equal magnitude today around the world.
one near tonga.
one near fiji(south)
one near komandorsky islands which is somewhere near russia as far as i know.

what concerns me is the frequency of quakes in the honshu(japan) area which is not far from fukushima. they are often of 6 magnitude. sometimes 4 or 5+.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
3 dead, snap from minute 41 of current hour

from stream tg24.sky.it/tg24/diretta.html

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyledq

Aaah man, that's really bad news.

It's the increasing frequency of these events happening in that particular region that concerns me.

Not sure if the area is capable of punching out something larger, but sure hope not.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Just read the newspaper, not good. Cheers SJ for the thread.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I just noticed this headline on CNN - in yellow - claiming BREAKING NEWS.....

Why is it that this one is breaking news, but every other 5.0+ earthquake in the last week gets ignored?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Updated to 6 deaths so far.

People trapped under collapsed buildings.

Series of large aftershocks in the area over the last hour.

QUAKE MAP

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Why is it that this one is breaking news, but every other 5.0+ earthquake in the last week gets ignored?

Not all 5+ quakes are equal or happening in places where they cause any major damage and or loss of life.

These recent ones in Italy have caused significant structural damage and LOSS OF LIFE.

Also becoming rather repetitive for the region, which is further cause for concern.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Sky now has Otto/8/eight

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by yyyledq

Yes, 8 deaths now confirmed.

11.30 eight confirmed victims - is aggravate the death toll. Three San Felice, in the collapse of the company Meta, two in Mirandola, one at Concordia, one to the Final. Dead also the pastor of Rovereto in Novi, although it is unclear whether the victim of a fall or an illness. To say the provincial commander of the carabinieri, Salvatore Iannizzotto.

Unfortunately this quake has happened during working hours and a large warehouse collapsed which appears to be where most deaths have occurred, and rescue efforts are saving those still trapped.

Having experienced the deadly Christchurch Feb 22nd 2011 quake, my heart goes out to all those affected by this disaster.

edit on 29-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: news update

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
And now another sizable quake of 5.6 mag!

USGS

Hope it calms down soon as that would be making rescue efforts very difficult.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I believe Nostradamus is finally right about his prediction. He predicted a Earthquake in May , a lot of people claimed may 20th. On May 20th Italy got hit by a quake and are you kidding me this region is becoming so active , like its another japan up there, sooner or later, I pray to god, but they might get hit with a strong 7 or 8. People should get prepared and have evacuation plans ready, food, water and shelter in case something devastating happens.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I am from So. Calif. originally, so I am used to earthquakes and a 5.8 wouldn't catch my attention much- in California!
Our houses were made of wood, and usually pretty low, all buildings were made to move with earthquakes and relatively new.

But now I live in South France, just on the other side of the border from Italy, and these are scaring me.
Because our home is made of stones, it is three hundred years old, built on the side of a steep slope, with caverns underneath. Nothing here is made to withstand earthquakes- we are even near a nuclear plant that has only been made to withstand a 4.something.

The more of these we've had coming closer the last few weeks the more scary it is. Everything is relative.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by Trueman

My pleasure Trueman. I trust that you find that all your family are well.

Please update us on any news about their experience and any other feedback you would like to share.

Thanks. I just got an email from my sister. She said all people got nervous now, since it's the second strong one in a short period of time. Also she said the land keeps shaking, probably means the aftershocks. Take in consideration its very inusual to have earthquakes in this area of Italy.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
4.7M just hit too.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Hoping for the best for Italy and her people.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
We had a 5.8 last week with no deaths..

I hope no more die in Italy, man. God help you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join