It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy To Receive First Global Hawk Next Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The US Navy is getting into the UAV game in a big way. With thier first Global Hawk they will better be able to explore its applications. The role is an important one as the Global Hawk can explore huge swaths of ocean and stay airborn for extended periods.

The U.S. Navy is expected to take delivery of its first Global Hawk unmanned aerial vehicle next week, a spokeswoman for prime contractor Northrop Grumman said Sept. 30.

The RQ-4A Global Hawk will be flown from a Northrop Grumman production plant in Palmdale, Calif., where the Navy will formally accept the air vehicle, to Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., the company spokeswoman told The DAILY.

The vehicle will undergo testing at Edwards for several months before heading to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md. to prepare for a future maritime demonstration.

A second Global Hawk is also under production for the Navy demonstration and is expected to leave the Northrop Grumman plant in Palmdale in a few months.

The maritime demonstration is intended to help the Navy determine how to use UAVs for reconnaissance.

Northrop Grumman's main customer for Global Hawk is the U.S. Air Force, which has taken delivery of 10 air vehicles and is buying 48 more.
Navy Global Hawk

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Is it able to operate from carriers, or it is just land based version like Orion or Nimrod?

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Is it able to operate from carriers, or it is just land based version like Orion or Nimrod?

I think it will land based. Im not too sure of its takeoff run, but I doubt it could handle cat shots to get off the deck.

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I hope these will prove to be more economical then the manned vershens, and work better then the earlier ones.

E_T

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I think it will land based. Im not too sure of its takeoff run, but I doubt it could handle cat shots to get off the deck.

Well, these can cover entire globe from just couple bases if there's not big hurry to get plane in to the target.
For example Diego Garcia would be very good base for these.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Global Hawk looks set to become a very popular type, the Germans are after it to replace their ELINT Atlantics and the RAF is interested in using it to replace the Canberra PR.9 and Nimrod R.1

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Wow, it looks big, i thought it is just small drone.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The Global Hawk looks set to become a very popular type, the Germans are after it to replace their ELINT Atlantics and the RAF is interested in using it to replace the Canberra PR.9 and Nimrod R.1

They did fly a "EuroHawk" over there last year and they hope that it sells well. Its really a great UAV

E_T I think your are dead on, Diego Garcia would be a great place as would Guam etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
the navy is also toying with the Firscout UAV Helicopter, that will land and take off from ships.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
More than toying. A version is being tested at the moment with weapons. Rockets to be exact. They are the size of the current unguided rockets shot from helicopters (5" and such) but they are guided.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I wonder if the wideband satellite and Line-Of-Sight (LOS) data link can be hacked

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Wow, it looks big, i thought it is just small drone.

heh, with a wing span of 116 feet that makes it over half the span of the 747's wing span this isn't a little toy.

With endurance of 1 1/2 days, this thing will be seeing alot of action in the future, I wonder if there are any plans to arm it?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I know when they work they are great. Its the accident record that bothers me though. The loss rate is pretty high isn't it?

They did some pioneer work here with Global Hawk a few years ago. Flew one called "Southern Cross" non stop from California and did a few weeks worth of trials around the coast.

Australia has an interest in 8-12 for about $300million. If the loss rate is high, Australia cant afford replacements the way USA seems to.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Oh yeah - 8 Global Hawks or 12 Predator Mariners.

But the loss ratio does seem horrific on both.

Like if we took delivery of our last F-18 in 1990 and lost 40 by 1995, instead of 3. Heads would roll.

Our government wants to be able to hang missiles off them if they deploy to warzones.

Australia is also trialling a cheap local UAV with 24hr aloft capacity called the Aeromonde (company name, Just known as the Aeromonde UAV)

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
CraigA,

I actually thought the loss rate is pretty good. I think they lost a few in inital testing, but beyond that. For AUS's use though, if they are accident prone and you are using them for maritime patrol then hope for recovery is pretty dim.

The US did fly one out there as part of a demo and did not experience a problem. That being said, they would be an ideal fit for AUS and really help with recce.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
Oh yeah - 8 Global Hawks or 12 Predator Mariners.

But the loss ratio does seem horrific on both.

Like if we took delivery of our last F-18 in 1990 and lost 40 by 1995, instead of 3. Heads would roll.

Our government wants to be able to hang missiles off them if they deploy to warzones.

Australia is also trialling a cheap local UAV with 24hr aloft capacity called the Aeromonde (company name, Just known as the Aeromonde UAV)

The Global Hawk has a good success rate, I think your thinking of the Predator which quit a few have been lost in Afghan due to speradic gun fire and RPG's and the heat and dust from the country.

I'm assuming your talking about the Predator as the one with missiles hanging off of it. It can hold 2 Hellfire's But the New Predator B can hold 10 Hellfire's and be 45,000 feet up, making it better in every aspect.

and I think you meant the Aerosonde UAV, if thats the case there are 2 very different looks I found.

Which looks like a mini version of the Dark Star.

and theres this one which resembles the Tactical Shadow.

-------Tactical Shadow ---------------------------- Dark Star

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Murcielago]

E_T

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
With its long loitering capability Global Hawk might be nice weapon platform, just add some hypersonic missiles and it would ideal for jobs like Scud hunting done in Gulf War Episode I.
It could strike very fast when there would be target which needs rapid response.

top topics

join