It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

A lot of atheists feel very persecuted and beleaguered by religious types, especially by certain Christian groups in the U.S. Probably the least trusted, most outright hated minority in the U.S. are atheists. Kids who refuse to say "under God" when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance are, in many places, ostracized, beaten up, etc. for their differing ideas about religion. They are by turns called "evil," "satanic," "anti-American," "commies," and a lot of other epithets by many who are religious.

I think what you are seeing is the response and reaction of a lot of atheists who have to deal with this sort anti-atheist hatred simply because they have views that are different. It makes one aggressively anti-religion, and an Internet forum is a much safer place to express these ideas than it often is in "real life."
edit on 6/17/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want...as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or influence them in a negative way.

The problem is, many religious beliefs are completely illogical and often demonstrably (!!!) wrong. That wouldn't be a problem if people just kept their beliefs to themselves, but sadly they VOTE based on those beliefs. And those votes influence me and others. Take stem cell research for example...it would probably save millions of lives, yet it's seriously harmed by Christian fundamentalists running campaigns against it.

That's why I point out when a Christian/Muslim says something that's demonstrably wrong. I'm not attacking them by pointing out those flaws, I'm merely stating facts

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

This is also true.

I do find it ironic that some people who don't want government intervention into their religion (or business for that matter) want it in others', or even worse want it in others' bedroom. Y'know because their religion is against sex for pleasure.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
After 2-3 thousand years of Christianity and other religions being rammed down everyone's throats, I think the atheists have a right to be persistent in attempting to get their opinion heard without being drowned out by half the worlds population.
edit on 29/5/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

Seems sometimes people turn into the very thing they hate.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
reply to post by GR1ill3d

I, myself, was once guilty of being a evangelical atheist. I realized that being a peaceful atheist actually did more for the cause than being so militant about it.

So there is a cause?

What is that?

Nice you are peaceful though.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I am here, so i can be angry at myself for not finding the perfect way to save someone i see myself in.

I once was lost, but now am found. Its the force that drives all compassion. There will come a day... when my words will be but a drop of water into an ocean. You wont have to listen to me anymore just your children and neighbors.

I dont believe in god... i believe in MYSELF!!!
edit on 16-6-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
"I once was lost but now am found,"
Was blind, but now I see.

Did you know I once was lost, but now am found, are lyrics to this hymn?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

A lot of atheists feel very persecuted and beleaguered by religious types, especially by certain Christian groups in the U.S.

Yes, but the thing that I've noticed is, that the type of atheist who usually feels the most persecuted by Christians, is the same type who would be doing the persecuting if he/she was a Christian. In other words, Christianity has a belligerent jackass minority, and atheism does too; and the jackass minorities of both, claim the other group as justification for said jackass behaviour.

Most atheists are fine. Same with most Christians. It's a vocal minority in both cases; and generally speaking, when either claim persecution, it usually isn't really happening at all. They just like using the claim of persecution as a means of engaging in the sort of bad behaviour which they would have anyway.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Anyone remember the movie CONTACT? Jodie Foster didn't believe in god and she was passed over for being the candidate to ride in the capsule. They couldn't choose someone who didn't believe in god, even though she was intelligent and discovered the alien signal.

Right now I believe in god, whether it's a supreme being or energy in space. However, I am seeking the truth and have questions about the bible. I was a Catholic and left because it didn't make sense that some of the priests are pedophiles and the Vatican is corrupt. Wars are fought over religion. I have tried many religions and have been disappointed. I no longer practice any religion. I don't mind my friends preaching their beliefs and I listen to what they say and make my own judgement. They give intelligent arguments and I respect them for it. I just haven't decided on anything yet. There are good points to each side.

I also don't think this issue will ever be resolved. Christians and atheists will always fight for their beliefs. Faith is what gets people through hard times and there are some who don't believe are perfectly happy with their lives, also.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
There's a difference between PREACHING and POINTING OUT SCIENTIFIC FLAWS IN RELIGIOUS DOCTRINES!!

You can't compare an atheist pointing out that the earth ISN'T 10k years old to some missionary

Of the goal of this thread is to stop atheists from pointing out that people can't survive inside whales, that snakes don't talk, that the Genesis account is scientifically wrong, or that it's bacteria/viri that cause diseases instead of a god...then well, good luck going up against logic/rationality

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Sure, absolutely. But then someone can point out that God created the virus that started the disease. Like I said, it will never be resolved. People believe based on what they feel they know, whether there's proof or not.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
reply to post by MrXYZ

Sure, absolutely. But then someone can point out that God created the virus that started the disease. Like I said, it will never be resolved. People believe based on what they feel they know, whether there's proof or not.

They could say a giant purple unicorn created viruses...but until they provide objective evidence to back this up, it would be foolish to believe it. After all, do you believe every religious doctrine (of all religions)???

In the end, it all comes down to objective evidence. The theory of evolution for example is fully backed up by objective evidence...saying a god or gods created viruses isn't. Big difference, especially if they vote based on that lack of knowledge.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I believe that Christians believing the young earth thing today would be in the minority.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MrXYZ

I believe that Christians believing the young earth thing today would be in the minority.

That was just an example, there are plenty of other things that are simply wrong. At no point in history did only 2 humans exist for example like Genesis claims...and people can't survive inside whales. There's also ZERO archeological evidence for the exodus of the Jews as told in the bible. If that many people wandered around for years, they'd leave stuff behind

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

.saying a god or gods created viruses isn't

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

Craig Venter and his team have built the genome of a bacterium from scratch and incorporated it into a cell to make what they call the world's first synthetic life form
www.guardian.co.uk...

PHYSICISTS IN JAPAN PLAN TO CREATE NEW UNIVERSE IN LAB
USING THE HIGGS FIELD, SCIENTISTS THEORIZE IT IS POSSIBLE TO CAUSE A 'BABY UNIVERSE' TO BREAK OFF FROM OUR OWN, SAFELY
2 August 2006
www.casavaria.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by MrXYZ

.saying a god or gods created viruses isn't

Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

Craig Venter and his team have built the genome of a bacterium from scratch and incorporated it into a cell to make what they call the world's first synthetic life form
www.guardian.co.uk...

PHYSICISTS IN JAPAN PLAN TO CREATE NEW UNIVERSE IN LAB
USING THE HIGGS FIELD, SCIENTISTS THEORIZE IT IS POSSIBLE TO CAUSE A 'BABY UNIVERSE' TO BREAK OFF FROM OUR OWN, SAFELY
2 August 2006
www.casavaria.com...

Yes...that's us humans creating something based on scientific discoveries...and NOT evidence for a god creating things.

I'm not even saying it's 100% proven that a god didn't do it, I'm just saying there's NO EVIDENCE. In ancient times people attributed a TON of things (disease, floods, etc) to god because they filled a GAP IN KNOWLEDGE with MAGIC (aka gods). I'd like to believe that in 21st century we can stop with that nonsense until we have prove to the contrary.

edit on 17-6-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

My reasons are two-fold.
1. I consider the belief in magical beings to be an insult to mankind's intelligence. It's okay for young children to pretend to have invisible friends because sooner or later they grow out of it. But for adults to have invisible friends? It's embarrassing.

2. There are so many super-intelligent people wasting their brains on otherworldly matters when they should be using their great minds to solve the serious problems in the REAL world. How many practical solutions have been buried and lost in the minds of those focused only on angels and demons and miracles and magic? We'll never know.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

That was just an example, there are plenty of other things that are simply wrong. At no point in history did only 2 humans exist for example like Genesis claims...and people can't survive inside whales. There's also ZERO archeological evidence for the exodus of the Jews as told in the bible. If that many people wandered around for years, they'd leave stuff behind

A collegue at work, knowing I was a complete atheist kindly gave me a brand new Bible..........so I felt obliged to give it a read.........even though the last time I read anything from the Bible was in Sunday School (Many many moons before!).
I read Genesis, but even after that fantasical tale I carried on reading...........but I put the book down as soon as I began reading a list of names and figures from the Bible...........who lived to the ripe old age of........100 years of age?....nope!.........150?........nope surely not 200.....nope...... 500? nope........700????.......nope 900 years of age...........and that was fairly common!

Yes we have fanastical tales of "The beginning"......Noah's flood.......Jesus miracles.........but some how to me 900 year old human beings just sounded even more ludicrous......possibly because it's not so outrageuos as the other parts of the Bible...........but outrageous enough to get a sense that most of the Bible is complete fabricated.......fairy tales......there I've said it.........fairy tales!

edit on 17-6-2012 by Logical one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

My reasons are two-fold.
1. I consider the belief in magical beings to be an insult to mankind's intelligence. It's okay for young children to pretend to have invisible friends because sooner or later they grow out of it. But for adults to have invisible friends? It's embarrassing.

2. There are so many super-intelligent people wasting their brains on otherworldly matters when they should be using their great minds to solve the serious problems in the REAL world. How many practical solutions have been buried and lost in the minds of those focused only on angels and demons and miracles and magic? We'll never know.

You're making decisions here which, as far as I'm concerned, you only have the right to make for yourself. You don't have the right to make such decisions for other people.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404

I, myself, was once guilty of being a evangelical atheist. I realized that being a peaceful atheist actually did more for the cause than being so militant about it.

I think that's normal for most people who embrace something new to them.

You know what they say: "Nothing worse then a convert".

I don't think it reflects on Atheists - - - anymore then it reflects on a convert to anything.

The thing is those complaining on ATS about Atheists - - - probably don't know any. Heck - I'm Atheist and have only met one other by accident. Atheists in every day real life - - don't spout out their lack of belief in general circumstances.

Those on ATS complaining about Atheists - - are talking about Atheists they confront in a discussion forum - - or who are public figures - - promoting a book or paid speakers.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by jiggerj

My reasons are two-fold.

You're making decisions here which, as far as I'm concerned, you only have the right to make for yourself. You don't have the right to make such decisions for other people.

Didn't make a decision. I was asked my opinion, and I gave it.
As for making decisions for other people: Here in the 21st century, and being a member of what is supposed to be a highly intelligent race, I also find war to be an utter embarrassment to mankind. Should we all just mind our own business on this too?
edit on 6/17/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join