It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by Barcs
Scientists aren't going into your church services and telling you it's all fake, so please pay them the same courtesy... especially since, you know, only one of those things is backed by evidence.
edit on 15-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

Atheists need to get rid of the claim that their arrogance is justified, because the evidence is on their side. I've never seen an atheist make that claim yet, where they didn't look exactly as much like a schizophrenic, screaming zealot as the average Christian, who claims that they also have abundant reasons for thinking that their version of things is, "the TRUTH!"

Stop becoming what you hate.

This is EXACTLY why I made the thread. Thanks for contributing, petrus. I've enjoyed reading your threads and thoughts here for quite some time now. You seem to get where I am coming from on the issue

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 16-6-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Because inevitibly the stupid belief of a personal god is going to die.

Everyday children are being raised under the ideals of life NOT BEING WORTH LIVING without god. They are told that they can murder and rape babies if god doesnt exist.

MAYBE as an athiest i cant say the universe cares, BUT I DO...

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Because inevitibly the stupid belief of a personal god is going to die.

Everyday children are being raised under the ideals of life NOT BEING WORTH LIVING without god. They are told that they can murder and rape babies if god doesnt exist.

MAYBE as an athiest i cant say the universe cares, BUT I DO...

This is ridiculous. Why the hatred? I can guarantee you that no amount of scientific advancement will ever replace the human need for spirituality. We could advance for another 500 000 years and people will still have a need for spirituality. It is a fundamentally human NEED. At no point in my upbringing was I told that life wasn't worth living without God, or that I could murder and rape babies if he didn't exist (Like I would want to anyways?). Your hatred belies something greater lying underneath the surface. I don't think this is an issue you look at from a purely scientific point of view at all, and the vitriol in your posts proves it. I would suggest that perhaps you are approaching the issue emotionally (I'm guessing you have had some unpleasant experiences with religious people in the past).

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Keep believing that if it helps you sleep. Just like a night light for a child....

When you decide to give up childish things ill be here waiting.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Keep believing that if it helps you sleep. Just like a night light for a child....

My experiences have been anything but childish (and the complete opposite of a night light). Your attitude is so grossly antagonistic that it is obvious you are trying to hide some greater hurt that you feel has been done to you.

You have ZERO idea why I believe what I do, or what I have experienced that has convinced me of the reality of God. Yet you assume I need him like a crutch? News flash: My life would be 1000x easier if I didn't believe in God. I struggle DAILY. Trust me when I say I would much rather have not experienced the things I have, seen the things I have seen, and believe the things I believe. I would trade you places in a heart beat if I could.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

There's a question I can ask, here; which I've often been tempted to ask Christians, as well.

If atheists are right, then why aren't they happier?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

because we still have something horrible to go through first. Religion will die soon.

I am happy when not contemplating the horrible fates of my brothers and sisters. Unfortunately we have such a huge family and in a house this big i rarely find time to forget about the hell that is about to be brought upon the ones i love.

To use a metaphor/

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

If atheists are right, then why aren't they happier?

Seriously?

People are individuals - - whether they believe or not. I've known many miserable god believers.

In my case - - realizing I am Atheist lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

I am so much more happier making each and every day/moment count.

Integrity is mine - - all mine - - I am the only one responsible for what I do - - and what I contribute to this world.

There is no second guessing if its OK with some imaginary whatever.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

reply to post by petrus4

because we still have something horrible to go through first. Religion will die soon.

I am happy when not contemplating the horrible fates of my brothers and sisters. Unfortunately we have such a huge family and in a house this big i rarely find time to forget about the hell that is about to be brought upon the ones i love.

To use a metaphor/

And the truth comes out. So you are angry at God yet you don't believe He exists? Seems a little silly to waste your energy being angry at something that isn't there, no?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

And the truth comes out. So you are angry at God yet you don't believe He exists? Seems a little silly to waste your energy being angry at something that isn't there, no?

Yes - exactly.

Being angry at god - - then claiming to be a disbeliever - - makes zero sense.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I am here, so i can be angry at myself for not finding the perfect way to save someone i see myself in.

I once was lost, but now am found. Its the force that drives all compassion. There will come a day... when my words will be but a drop of water into an ocean. You wont have to listen to me anymore just your children and neighbors.

I dont believe in god... i believe in MYSELF!!!
edit on 16-6-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I once was lost, but now am found. Its the force that drives all compassion.

No, it isn't.

Compassion and rage are two completely different things.

You aren't going to be "saving," me. I don't want to be like you at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Ohh so thats why people are so against the genital mutliation of little children in muslim nations.... because their just haters?

Im so glad you brought enough rope to make a noose out of.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I am an atheist and I am sick and tired of people like you forcing god, who I believe does not exist, down my throat.
You keep your religious beliefs to yourself (ie - don't talk about them) and I will keep my atheist beliefs to myself.
You see it is people like me who only respond to religious clap-trap espoused by people like you.
If you shut up, I will shut up, don't try and brainwash me.
You are trying to silence people who do not share your belief, but in a free society that does not work.
So live and let live.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
We're tired of being seen as cultural outliers when there are more of us in the world than you can know.

We're not trying to convert, as evangelizing would seem to mean. We're just trying to make other atheists/nonbelievers comfortable enough to "come out" as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam

I am an atheist and I am sick and tired of people like you forcing god, who I believe does not exist, down my throat.
You keep your religious beliefs to yourself (ie - don't talk about them) and I will keep my atheist beliefs to myself.
You see it is people like me who only respond to religious clap-trap espoused by people like you.
If you shut up, I will shut up, don't try and brainwash me.
You are trying to silence people who do not share your belief, but in a free society that does not work.
So live and let live.

Ridiculous. Make some more random assumptions please

I make it a habit not to do ANY of the things you just accused me of. I think this thread is becoming more and more telling as it grows. It's becoming obvious where the real prejudice lies.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Many, if not most, atheists do this because of two reasons. First, most of the unsolicited attacks against religion are by younger or rebellious individuals. That rebellion is a natural aspect of growing up, they just pick the topic of anti-religion as their champion.

Second, and most importantly, Atheism is every bit as much a religion as Catholicism or Hinduism. They choose to believe in the absence of a deity. They have faith in the absence of a god. If they were to only use the argument of logic and statistics or science, then they would have to be committed agnostics. They go beyond that and choose to believe, affirming that there is NO god.

Some have even gone farther to create religious headgear. Austrian driver allowed 'pastafarian' headgear photo

According to Christianity, the religion teaches its believers to spread the message. It may have been the first religion to do that. For atheist to argue that they challenge religion without solicitation is a direct challenge to Christianity. You rarely, if ever, see Atheism challenge Wicca or Buddhism.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.

Pastafarianism is a parody, not a real religion either.

That's like saying mocking racism is racism. It's bologna.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Atheism is a religion.

Your hair analogy was a nice try, but off.

If a person is bald because they shaved their head, their 'hair style' of choice is bald.

It is a matter of faith. One group has faith in something, the other has faith in the absence of something. If it were being based upon science and reason alone, they would be agnostic, or Ignostic.
edit on 16-6-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join