To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I'll preface this thread by stating that I have no problem with atheists or people who don't prescribe to my own personal beliefs. I have many friends that are atheists, and I don't believe it is my place to judge them or ridicule them because they have a different point of view than I do. Which brings me to the purpose of this thread:

Why do atheists feel the need to do precisely that?

I am sick to death of people popping into threads with comments like "Your bible is a fairy tale" or "Your an idiot because you believe in God" or even my own friends posting stuff on facebook on a daily basis demonizing religion and promoting atheism. So why do you do it?

I am going to assume (perhaps wrongfully so) that atheists or non-religious people dislike being preached at by "bible thumpers" or having their morning coffee or sleep interrupted by zealous mormons or jehovas witnesses banging at their door trying to save their souls. I'm going to guess that this type of behavior may even piss you off, and you may be left asking yourself: "who the hell do you think you are to tell ME what I should believe"? So assuming this is true, why turn around and do it to others?

Is the irony lost on you?

I personally don't believe I should be preaching to anyone (just one of many things that make me a "bad Christian" I suppose). I feel that if someone is curious about my beliefs, I will share them happily. But I'm not the type to go around trying to "save" people and waving my finger at them about how they live their lives. I generally try to avoid this behavior as much as possible, and I'm always cautiously respectful of others opinions when such subjects come up in conversation.

So why is it atheists seem to be more zealous and preachy than half the Christians I know? I would appreciate if you could limit your responses to WHY you choose to engage in this behavior (if you do), or why choose not to (if you don't). I'm really not interested in debating the existence of God (let's face it, that's literally been done to death for thousands of years). I just want to know why you feel the need to engage in atheist "evangelism", and why you don't feel this is something that is completely hypocritical (an accusation often leveled against Christians).

Thanks!

PS: Mods, I wasn't really sure where to post this. I chose this forum due to the content of most of the posts here, and figured it would be a good place to start. Feel free to move if I could have chosen a better location

I think you should focus your venom on your own Christian brothers and sisters. If you dislike evangelism, why are you singling out atheists?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
They do it because Atheism is a religion like all the rest. Each with its dogmas and disciples and missionaries...

if its NOT a religion, why capitalize the word?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
They do it because Atheism is a religion like all the rest. Each with its dogmas and disciples and missionaries...

For the same reason we'd capitalize a word like Earth, or a name etc. Atheism cannot be a religion. Atheism is only the lack of theism. That's all it is. If you aren't a theist, and then you're atheist.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexG141989

i get your rudimentary point. The way words are structured gives clues to their actual meaning. If atheist is just the antithesis to a theist--it is just that.

BUT. If an Atheist is opposite the Theist, they are completely synonymous. One needs a belief in the other to exist.

NO ONE believes in a god like an Atheist......

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rainbowbear

In order for atheism to be a religion THEISM needs to be a religion. Theists can fit into dozens of different religious categories, even more if we include sects and denominations, or they can be non-religious. Atheists can be religious, there are even Christian-Atheists if that makes any sense, and some Buddhists are atheists.

Atheism and theism seem like they have an awful lot to do with religion because the existence or non-existence of god(s) is usually a religiously contentious idea but in actuality neither word regards whether or not a person is religious. Instead atheism and theism regard BELIEF in god(s) with the atheist taking the default position and disbelieving in god(s).

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear

You don't capitalize atheism or atheist! It's not a proper noun, it's a description of a non belief. It simply means not theist. Look it up.

en.wikipedia.org...

Posts like the above are why many atheists are passionate about fighting ignorance.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Probably the same reason that people go around quoting the bible/koran/gurus in threads/conversations that have nothing to do with religion or even philosophy.

To clarify, a lot of people feel the need to convince themselves, and others that they are right. That their truth is THE TRUTH, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. People also seem to feel the need to spread that truth, and try to help others realize that truth. I feel that once you think you have everything all figured out, you stop thinking, stop analyzing, and stop coming up with solutions.
edit on Tue, 29 May 2012 14:54:39 -0500 by TKDRL because: Sorry added a bit

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Our forefathers founded this country on the basic principle that GOD gave men the right to be free, free to worship, free to be an atheist, free to be a buddist etc etc etc and free to be a atheist. Relax and enjoy your freedom, you have the freedom to ignore, change the channel, don't answer the door. However if you do not like your freedom and find that others bother you while exercising theirs. Pack you bags and get the he77 out of my country, if you do not like IN GOD WE TRUST, then leave perhaps China is a nice place or S. Korea, maybe even Syria. Get over yourself and live.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

At the end of the day it is a war when rediclous and dangerous doctrines are preached to children, the uneducated and the desperate some people have a tendancy to do things normal reasoning minds wouldn't even contemlplate, like flying airplanes into buildings, genital mutilation of children, burning possible witches to death etc

Indeed war it is, so called moderate xtians scare me more than muslims, you just never know when god will tell them to put a gun to your face
edit on 29-5-2012 by ChristianJihad because: cont

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

This is the thing.. I don't really see that behaviour from most Atheist but instead I often see Christians making threads about how bad atheists are or try to push their believes onto others in non related threads.

I myself join in only if this happens and usually rarely click those threads or post otherwise.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

There are Christians who push their beliefs on others and there are Christians who don't.
There are atheists who push their beliefs on others and there are atheists who don't.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

There are Christians who push their beliefs on others and there are Christians who don't.
There are atheists who push their beliefs on others and there are atheists who don't.

And this can be expanded to "There are X who push their beliefs on others, and X who don't."

Do not let the minority ruin it for the majority.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've said it before and I guess it deserves repeating. It is to keep balance. I really used to be of the live and let live mind set and to a degree I still am. I don't agree with the hate some people bring with them from any party. If all atheists were to just ignore everything would that really be fair? If religious people constantly slandered them with no reprisal you could see how out of hand things could get. Wouldn't you want people to know where you were coming from and that all atheists eat babies and hide horns underneath baseball caps is not true.

It's when religion crosses that line into trying to dictate my life when I don't subscribe to those beliefs that I have my biggest issue with them. You see, the vocal get their way. Look at the AARP they are powerful because they are organized and very vocal about their concerns. Do you really think any religion would stop and say hey this isn't fair to the atheists if it was getting their way? What you see as a strictly religious and philosophical argument is also a political and real world one as well.

Let us not forget that both parties probably use con-men just to make the other party look stupid. Hey look I'm some strictly fundamentalist religious nut lets burn all the sinners..blah blah blah. I'm an atheist all religious folks should be sent to the sun. Meanwhile neither is who they say they are.

edit on 29-5-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
there's an old saying around here....

"pics or it didnt happen"

call it evangelism if you want op...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Being an Atheist today is almost as bad as being black right after being freed. We really are discriminated against just for being atheist. We probably wouldn't have to get so aggressive if religion actually did more good in the world. You say thou shall not kill, yet for thousands of years Catholics and Christians commit genocide of anyone who doesn't believe every little thing in that book.

And now you have groups such as Westboro Baptist Church. That group alone is enough to make any atheist want to wipe religion off the planet. Just think of how much more peaceful it would be if a religious war wasn't started every decade or so. The US government calls it operation Iraqi freedom. I call it Christians VS Muslims. A war that has been raged countless times in Earths history. Take away religion and we might actually be able to obtain peace. Or we can keep it and listen to people preach as we walk down the sidewalk about how we are going to hell because we stepped on a crack in the sidewalk.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
What world do you all live in?

With the exception of some mormons at my door about 12 years ago I've never had two words about religion/atheism/cults/any -ism at all with anyone at all in all this time.

The way I see these threads pop up everyday up here it's as if I'm apparently the only person in the world nobody wants to preach to. Sure, I drive by like a hundred churches everyday but I drive by a hundred liquor stores, supermarkets, trees, houses, storm drains........

Same deal with the dietary threads about vegetarianism or omnivorism and whatever else.

For the life of me I can't understand who the hell cares or why they care.

Whether I'm behind a car with a jesus fish on it or a darwin amphibian on it or a car with no little goofy sticker on it my life goes on just the same.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

A lot of Atheists (not all) feel the need to be contrarian in order to feel relevant. I find that these types of Atheists are insecure in their own belief (or non belief for that matter) and feel the need to feed their ego and insecurities by ridiculing Theists, especially Christians. Then there are the other Atheists, who have searched countless hours for the truth, and have determined that the truth is that there is no God or supreme creator, and they tend to know the bible better than most Theists, and are up for a respectful and intellectual debate anytime.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexG141989

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
I'll preface this thread by stating that I have no problem with atheists or people who don't prescribe to my own personal beliefs. I have many friends that are atheists, and I don't believe it is my place to judge them or ridicule them because they have a different point of view than I do. Which brings me to the purpose of this thread:

Why do atheists feel the need to do precisely that?

I am sick to death of people popping into threads with comments like "Your bible is a fairy tale" or "Your an idiot because you believe in God" or even my own friends posting stuff on facebook on a daily basis demonizing religion and promoting atheism. So why do you do it?

I am going to assume (perhaps wrongfully so) that atheists or non-religious people dislike being preached at by "bible thumpers" or having their morning coffee or sleep interrupted by zealous mormons or jehovas witnesses banging at their door trying to save their souls. I'm going to guess that this type of behavior may even piss you off, and you may be left asking yourself: "who the hell do you think you are to tell ME what I should believe"? So assuming this is true, why turn around and do it to others?

Is the irony lost on you?

I personally don't believe I should be preaching to anyone (just one of many things that make me a "bad Christian" I suppose). I feel that if someone is curious about my beliefs, I will share them happily. But I'm not the type to go around trying to "save" people and waving my finger at them about how they live their lives. I generally try to avoid this behavior as much as possible, and I'm always cautiously respectful of others opinions when such subjects come up in conversation.

So why is it atheists seem to be more zealous and preachy than half the Christians I know? I would appreciate if you could limit your responses to WHY you choose to engage in this behavior (if you do), or why choose not to (if you don't). I'm really not interested in debating the existence of God (let's face it, that's literally been done to death for thousands of years). I just want to know why you feel the need to engage in atheist "evangelism", and why you don't feel this is something that is completely hypocritical (an accusation often leveled against Christians).

Thanks!

PS: Mods, I wasn't really sure where to post this. I chose this forum due to the content of most of the posts here, and figured it would be a good place to start. Feel free to move if I could have chosen a better location

I think you should focus your venom on your own Christian brothers and sisters. If you dislike evangelism, why are you singling out atheists?

I didn't think I was being venomous at all? I tried to write my post as clearly as possible. I'm not trying to attack atheism. I'm trying to understand it.

I understand why certain Christians feel the need to preach, so I don't really need to ask why they do it. I don't understand why some atheists feel the need to preach (and it seems ironic to me) so I started a thread to hear different opinions to come to a better understanding. I don't really see anything "venomous" in my original post?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
What world do you all live in?

With the exception of some mormons at my door about 12 years ago I've never had two words about religion/atheism/cults/any -ism at all with anyone at all in all this time.

The way I see these threads pop up everyday up here it's as if I'm apparently the only person in the world nobody wants to preach to. Sure, I drive by like a hundred churches everyday but I drive by a hundred liquor stores, supermarkets, trees, houses, storm drains........

Same deal with the dietary threads about vegetarianism or omnivorism and whatever else.

For the life of me I can't understand who the hell cares or why they care.

Whether I'm behind a car with a jesus fish on it or a darwin amphibian on it or a car with no little goofy sticker on it my life goes on just the same.

It's something I'm curious about. It's not like it runs my life or anything

I just like to further my own understanding of the world around me and the people that live in it.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PotatoSaladMafia
reply to post by Kryties

Precisely.

It's difficult for an athiest to go a whole day without some form of religion shoved in their face. Try putting an athiest bumper sticker on your car. A good Christian will show you gods love by keying your car/slashing your tires, etc...

Lmao, what? Tell me you're joking.

That makes as much sense as me saying a "good" Atheist will throw rocks through my window if they found out I was a Christian.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join