It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Damn! My fist post got moofed.

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

First of all, In my OP I put the term "evangelism" in quotes.

I am fully aware of that.

Is it not an act of hypocrisy for atheists to prosthelytize when they themselves find evangelism so distasteful.

Where are they proselytizing?

How do you proselytize a lack of belief?

Everywhere?

Take a look at Dawkins, for instance. He's gone so far as to pay for adds to plaster atheist adds on buses out of his own pocket. He is practically the pope of atheism

You really are kidding yourself if you don't think there is a certain degree of proselytization going on within the atheist community. For whatever reason, the bulk of it seems to be focused on Christians (I rarely hear atheists decrying Buddhists, for instance, despite the fact they have blood on their hands as well).

I've even read articles about atheists proposing the idea of atheist temples.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rtyfx
reply to post by Jay-morris

It's true that the Bible contradicts itself, but I still have to respect the people who believe it even if they don't respect me. It's a matter of conscience with me.

There is wisdom within despite the contradictions.

I respect those that live by what is written. Those that preach hate, are not following Christ, nothing that I have read in the new testament preaches hate, but that seems to be a strong basis for the evangelicals.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Originally posted by Anonymous404
reply to post by petrus4

www.squidoo.com...

This is something very positive. I've bookmarked this. I think in future when I encounter an online atheist who is foaming at the mouth, I will quote this URL; not only to inform the atheist themselves that some among them are doing something constructive, rather than just being a aggressive fanatics, but so that non-atheists are made aware of it as well.

It might stop Christians making the assumption that atheism necessarily implies amorality. Said assumptiion is one that I do not make myself. I know that atheists can be good, if they choose to be; it's just that a lot of them that I encounter don't choose to be, because they're too busy engaging in scientistic, arrogant triumphalism, and being furiously angry.

Actually most of us could say the same about self professed Christians.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Couldn't agree more with you, Bubba (on both your last two posts).

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Take a look at Dawkins, for instance. He's gone so far as to pay for adds to plaster atheist adds on buses out of his own pocket. He is practically the pope of atheism

I've never seen - heard - or read Dawkins. Maybe we shop at different grocery stores.

I believe I would have to actually seek him out if I wanted to see/hear/read what he has to say.

Hmmm - - I thought it was the American Atheists that put ads on buses and billboards. I know there are ads for "Life without god" - - - haven't seen any yet.

Seen several anti-atheist Christian billboards. We should compare the 2 - - the Christian anti-atheist billboards compared to the atheist billboards. There is quite a striking difference.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I've never seen - heard - or read Dawkins. Maybe we shop at different grocery stores.

I believe I would have to actually seek him out if I wanted to see/hear/read what he has to say.

Hmmm - - I thought it was the American Atheists that put ads on buses and billboards. I know there are ads for "Life without god" - - - haven't seen any yet.

Seen several anti-atheist Christian billboards. We should compare the 2 - - the Christian anti-atheist billboards compared to the atheist billboards. There is quite a striking difference.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic here, or if I'm just misinterpreting what you are trying to say. Are you implying that one is worse than the other?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

It is funny how you love demanding "real life" examples form people but don't like to provide them yourself.

Why? Why is it funny to ask what "real life" examples?

My example? How many times must I say I've never met another atheist in real life - - - but I've had many religious people approach me. Not just hand me a pamphlet - - but try to engage me in a religious discussion.

You've SEEN? And you've been handed pamphlets.

Has any atheist come up to you and tried to engage you in discussion of non-belief?

Can you just give a straight answer?

I have given a straight answer and I have had athiests approach me. If you ever had spent any time in DC, you will be approached by people pushing all sorts of causes and clubs. It is part of living in that town.

It is funny when you ask about experience because you A). tap dance around such questions quite a bit yourself and B). apparently have not learned that anecdote is not the same as data.

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join