It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dentsinger
I'm not an atheist nor do I prescribe to a religion. I'm as close to being agnostic as anything.

I find Atheism very freeing. I found it to be enlightening - - in that I'm required to be fully responsible for my own thoughts - actions - deeds.

Every honest atheist is also agnostic.

Original meaning of agnostic "God can not be proven or dis-proven".

There are Spiritual Atheists www.spiritualatheism.com...

However, neither dictionaries nor common usage reflect Huxley's intent in coining the term. His original formulation of the concept goes as follows:

Agnosticism is not a creed but a method, the essence of which lies in the vigorous application of a single principle. Positively the principle may be expressed as, in matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it can carry you without other considerations. And negatively, in matters of the intellect, do not pretend the conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable. It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty. atheists.org...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I just find people's definition of God misinterpretations. I, as a human being here on earth, am very insignificant to the complexities that entail infinity in our known universe. I believe in a higher intelligence within this infinity. Infinity is such a small word to entail its concept. Only by making the concept a word can we begin to comprehend and yet we don't.

Some who might prescribe to this thinking might go ahead and call this higher intelligence a God or Gods and some don't. Mainly because the many known religions have already painted their picture of what their God is concerned over pertaining to humans. It all seems pretty petty stuff for a God that has infinity in the palm of his or hers hand.

Stories of men by men about their convictions don't sway me.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dentsinger

That's always something that cracks me up too...

I mean, even if that being exists (and there's ZERO objective evidence suggesting he/she/it does!), believing it would care about petty stuff like whether or not people eat bacon or what kind of hats they wear is RIDICULOUS. Those guys honestly believe that an all powerful being who created the entire universe cares about bacon...ARE THEY SERIOUS???

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

A good read is Christopher Hitchens: God is not great, how religion poisons everything.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dentsinger

I agree with you. I personally refuse to use the word God in any form. As to me it connects to man-made religion.

I use the term Source or Energy Creator. For all I know we are a very evolved video game.

But - I also think there are many layers of the physical worlds as well as the energy (spiritual/dimensional/inner-dimensional - etc) worlds. I think/believe everything is energy.

I think god is a word/concept early man used to explain what they did not understand. The sun seems to be the first god.

I don't believe we are that advanced compared to other worlds - - and off-planet visitors were thought to be gods descending from the Heavens.

The concept of the religious god is ridiculous to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

A good read is Christopher Hitchens: God is not great, how religion poisons everything.

I've never read any book or listened to any public atheist.

It was my search for god in religion - - - that lead me to truth.

The more you research religion with a completely open mind - - - the less sense it makes.

It makes one wonder how we ever got caught up in such myths.
edit on 23-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by MrXYZ

I've never read any book or listened to any public atheist.

The more you research religion with a completely open mind - - - the less sense it makes.

It makes one wonder how we ever got caught up in such myths.
edit on 23-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

It's just a book mind you. Although if you wonder how we ever got caught up in such myths, the author provides great information regarding just that.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

It's just a book mind you. Although if you wonder how we ever got caught up in such myths, the author provides great information regarding just that.

I do read information. I take it in - - kind of roll it around - - and see how it feels in my brain.

I don't attach names to it. In other words - - I'm only interested in the information - - not who wrote it.

Its possible I've read stuff by a certain author - - by can't say for sure.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I think it all boils down to emotional investment and indoctrination of children. It's a cycle. As a child you are taught that religion X is the true religion and not to question it. The child is forced to learn the rituals, doctrine and every thing else before they are able make rational decisions themselves. When they grow up, they are emotionally attached to the religion and they do the same and pass it to their children. In reality there's no reason to assume any of those systems are accurate.

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Barcs

That's why my parents said I can make up my own mind when I'm old enough to think rationally. I'm gonna do the same thing with my kids and promote critical thinking instead of blind belief and ignorance towards facts..
edit on 25-7-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PotatoSaladMafia

"I stand up for my disbelief!" There, I fixed it for you.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

If you are truly looking for God, the very LAST place you will find Him is in religion.

Religion hates, lies, and kills.

Those are the very things that the ENEMIES of God are into.

Actually religion makes a LOT sense once you realize WHO is really behind it.

We caught up in myths thanks to the friendly people down at the Synagogue of Satan AKA the NWO.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

And I certainly don't intend to paint all atheists with the same brush. I have some very close friends that aren't preachy about their beliefs (or lack there of). I guess I'm more interested in the thought processes behind the atheists who are as preachy/pushy as their Christian counterparts.

My thought process is that I don't want young children to be exposed to alcoholics, because they might think that it is acceptable to grow up to be a drunk. I don't want young children raised to believe that animal cruelty is okay. I don't want young boys to witness a father beating a mother because they might grow up and do it too.

As an atheist, I find the belief in an "all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible being who created the whole universe and who lives in another dimension called heaven", to be a complete embarrassment to mankind. And, as an atheist I would like to see churches torn down, public expressions of belief (religious ornaments) to be banned, so that our children won't have even the slightest chance of being brainwashed.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm sorry but that seems like a very intolerant and ignorant approach. How can you be so confident that you completely understand the nature of reality and the origins of the universe (and what happened before the big bang) that you'd be willing to deny other people their freedom of expression, religion, etc?

To me, that just seems a far more ignorant outlook (or at least equally ignorant) than the religious extremists which you so loathe.

Conversely, I would argue I don't wish my children to be exposed to such drastic and totalitarian views. Does that mean you should be banned from voicing atheist opinions?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I'm sorry but that seems like a very intolerant and ignorant approach. How can you be so confident that you completely understand the nature of reality and the origins of the universe (and what happened before the big bang) that you'd be willing to deny other people their freedom of expression, religion, etc?

To me, that just seems a far more ignorant outlook (or at least equally ignorant) than the religious extremists which you so loathe.

Conversely, I would argue I don't wish my children to be exposed to such drastic and totalitarian views. Does that mean you should be banned from voicing atheist opinions?

My belief is one of intolerance. If you wouldn't stand by and watch your child's body being raped, why would you tolerate people raping your child's mind? And, yes, I am 100% positive that this universe and everything in it wasn't created by magic.

No, I don't want my child's young mind thinking she's going to eternal hell for stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. I don't want her thinking that some supernatural being is watching her every move, hearing her every thought, and judging her every second of every day of her life. When she grows up I don't want her thinking it's okay to take a knife and mutilate her baby boy's penis because god wants her to. I don't want her thinking that god will protect her from being raped, beaten, robbed... I don't want her thinking that if she is raped, beaten, or robbed, that a loving god must have wanted it to happen, or that she sinned so badly that he turned away from her.

These things are just sick, and I don't want children exposed to this ever again.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

My belief is one of intolerance. If you wouldn't stand by and watch your child's body being raped, why would you tolerate people raping your child's mind? And, yes, I am 100% positive that this universe and everything in it wasn't created by magic.

No, I don't want my child's young mind thinking she's going to eternal hell for stealing a cookie from the cookie jar. I don't want her thinking that some supernatural being is watching her every move, hearing her every thought, and judging her every second of every day of her life. When she grows up I don't want her thinking it's okay to take a knife and mutilate her baby boy's penis because god wants her to. I don't want her thinking that god will protect her from being raped, beaten, robbed... I don't want her thinking that if she is raped, beaten, or robbed, that a loving god must have wanted it to happen, or that she sinned so badly that he turned away from her.

These things are just sick, and I don't want children exposed to this ever again.

This post just speaks for itself. You've become what you hate, and I really do feel sorry for you.

I'm glad you feel 100% confident that you understand the universe and it's origins completely. Maybe you should forward your resume and credentials to Harvard, or perhaps NASA, so you can answer all their questions too. While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to actually spend some time studying the new testament and talking to people who have spent decades doing so before you make such ridiculous statements about religion. You've taken an idea which you've gleaned from fundamentalist ideas and ran away with it completely.

Anyways, hope to read your papers and see your debates on youtube soon.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

This post just speaks for itself. You've become what you hate, and I really do feel sorry for you.

I'm glad you feel 100% confident that you understand the universe and it's origins completely. Maybe you should forward your resume and credentials to Harvard, or perhaps NASA, so you can answer all their questions too. While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to actually spend some time studying the new testament and talking to people who have spent decades doing so before you make such ridiculous statements about religion. You've taken an idea which you've gleaned from fundamentalist ideas and ran away with it completely.

How does knowing that the universe was not created by magic imply that I know how the universe works? See, religious people always exaggerate or derail a discussion when they don't want to face the truth.

If you can, please take each of my 'ridiculous statements about religion' and prove they are not absolutely, positively true.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

How does knowing that the universe was not created by magic imply that I know how the universe works? See, religious people always exaggerate or derail a discussion when they don't want to face the truth.

If you can, please take each of my 'ridiculous statements about religion' and prove they are not absolutely, positively true.

That would go beyond the purpose and scope of this thread. I appreciate your contribution, however.

As for your assertion that I am religious, or that the Universe was created by "magic", I contend that is a very narrow view (the former point being completely untrue, and the latter being a very prosaic way of discussing the idea of creation). It's unfortunate that you would rather suppress the views of those you disagree with because of some sort of personal vendetta than have a real and open discussion on the subject, but you have done more to answer my questions about why atheists choose to prosthelytize despite the obvious irony, than any other person in this thread.
edit on 3-9-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Atheists ask for proof, saying that if you're going to make incredible claims you'd better have credible proof if you want me to accept it, but I would say that even if such proof were made available and presented to them right before their very eyes, that their own highly contemptuous bias PRIOR to investigation, would not allow them to even begin to seriously consider it. I hope that the irony of this won't also be lost on them as they preach their "gospel" of no-God. I do hope in the final analysis, howevever, that they're still open-minded enough, if such a proof were available, to enjoy a great and wonderful laugh at the expense of all their own prior ignorance, or what they didn't even know they didn't know, but were absolute certain that they knew already (no God).

edit on 3-9-2012 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

That is not true.

If authentic proof was given then, I think, most atheists would have no problem accepting it.

If a god/creator was identified and it turned out to not be the biblical god, it would probably be easier for the atheists to accept, than believers of the big 3.

edit on 3-9-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join