It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To atheists/non-believers: Why the evangelism?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

I don't even talk about this sort of thing in my personal life unless I know for certain the person I bring it up with shares my beliefs. I used to be preachy when I was young, and I eventually learned how much it pisses people off. With age I grew to understand that I don't need to "save" anyone, and that's not my job at all. I eventually decided to leave that sort of thing in God's hands, and to respect the diversity of opinions and beliefs out there.

In regards to what I do, I don't think that's relevant, really. The preachiest atheist I've ever met in my life I met in highschool (she was older than I and finished school) through a mutual friend and we maintained contact over the years through facebook. The other individual I know I met through work (video game development) and while not as preachy as the former individual, was certainly outspoken about it, and didn't mind voicing his opinions on how Christians were idiots around the office (and does so to this day on FB, as we remain friends). I usually chose to keep quiet (as he was my lead). Come to think of it, I've encountered a lot of the same from at least 2 other individuals in the work place, and I encounter it very frequently in school (I'm currently a college student).

As for the country I live in, that would be Canada.

My son-in-law is Canadian.

Young idealists tend to be very vocal. They want to change the world.

Anyway - - - what I'm getting from this is - - - maturing social graces. Not that everyone out grows rude in-your-face behavior.

Young - open minded - - - keep it going.

Again (not that I'm trying to prove you wrong or anything), Age doesn't seem to be a factor. Both of these people are older than me (one of them by at least 10 years) and I'm 32. Dawkins isn't exactly a spring chicken either

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Again (not that I'm trying to prove you wrong or anything), Age doesn't seem to be a factor. Both of these people are older than me (one of them by at least 10 years) and I'm 32. Dawkins isn't exactly a spring chicken either

Again - - I've never heard or listened to Dawkins. I have no idea how old he is.

I lack belief in god because of researching origins of religion.

I was 60 before accepting I am Atheist. Having idealisms is one thing - - - completely stepping out of the "god circle" is something else. I know.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Again - - I've never heard or listened to Dawkins. I have no idea how old he is.

I lack belief in god because of researching origins of religion.

I was 60 before accepting I am Atheist. Having idealisms is one thing - - - completely stepping out of the "god circle" is something else. I know.

Well I'm certainly glad to have your input here

Could you summarize for me if you are for or against atheist's who prosthelytize their view points and if at minimum you could agree there is a certain amount of Irony in it?

I'm unsure of your stance in regards to the OP (although I have a much clearer understanding on your views in general).

Edit:

As an after thought, I've always found it funny that there would even be a need to spread atheism. If it is science, and logical, and beyond doubt, won't it sort itself out? I suppose I liken atheists trying to save people from ignorance to Christians trying to save people from hell. Isn't it kind of one and the same?
edit on 27-6-2012 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Interesting topic...the question has crossed my mind too. "Why do those that believe in nothing feel the need to interject their lack of belief into the lives of those that do?"

On the other hand...I've never had an atheist knock on my door and try to get me to talk about their non-religion either. So, as much as I don't like having other religions soliciting me, I get why they may feel the need to proseltize their beliefs. Logically projecting a lack of belief onto others seems like a waste of time. I don't know.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Could you summarize for me if you are for or against atheist's who prosthelytize their view points and if at minimum you could agree there is a certain amount of Irony in it?

I'm unsure of your stance in regards to the OP (although I have a much clearer understanding on your views in general).

I am primarily against God in government. God is a personal choice and should remain a personal choice.

I am not for prosthelytizing at all. If I had my way - - all places of worship would be eliminated - - and in their place a Spiritual Center that has an area for all major religions and a smaller area for lesser known beliefs - - including an outdoor garden for earth beliefs. People of different faiths would have to intermingle - - and accept each other.

Anyway - - individuals are individuals - - - some are going to be more out spoken and in your face - - no matter what they believe or lack belief in.

I can tell you the majority of Atheist threads on this site - - were not started by Atheists.

Gotta go.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I am primarily against God in government. God is a personal choice and should remain a personal choice.

I am not for prosthelytizing at all. If I had my way - - all places of worship would be eliminated - - and in their place a Spiritual Center that has an area for all major religions and a smaller area for lesser known beliefs - - including an outdoor garden for earth beliefs. People of different faiths would have to intermingle - - and accept each other.

Anyway - - individuals are individuals - - - some are going to be more out spoken and in your face - - no matter what they believe or lack belief in.

I can tell you the majority of Atheist threads on this site - - were not started by Atheists.

Gotta go.

Starred you for separation of church and state

Not so sure we should all be pigeon holed into tiny little omni-faith cubicles of worship, however. And enforcing that sort of thing would go against separation of church and state to begin with.

But again, thanks for your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Not so sure we should all be pigeon holed into tiny little omni-faith cubicles of worship, however. And enforcing that sort of thing would go against separation of church and state to begin with.

Of course not. But I wasn't talking about little.

This particular place is really nice: www.lakeshrine.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I, personally, take a stand for intelligence. I don't come into a thread proclaiming the myth that is Christianity in a troll-like way. I do it when the thread's subject matter is something where being educated would produce a better result. Like, when I see a thread on the Bible's interpretation of Egyptian culture. I know that the portrayal the Bible puts forth is fraudulent. My efforts are only to provide a factual avenue, over a false one. Or, when I see a thread on evolution being "not a fact", then I go in to show that the Bible, and religions' alternative, is not better, and is just as much a theory. Only difference being, the Theory of Evolution has factual evidence across multiple scientific fields supporting it, and Creationism has one book, full of other errors. My goal is always reality, over illusory deception.

In regular life, my goal is to better the lives of people I know. I have a handful of individual who are living, or were living, under strict Christian Fundamentalism. There parents are strictly devout, and in their stout belief they ignore things like medicine, technological advancements, scientific advancements, free speech, gender equality, and individuals' right to life, liberty, and personal happiness. So, my atheism, or simply Non-Christian approach is always to help open up the individual in question to the greater experiences of life. Since the institution of Christianity is against knowledge outside of the Bible, and all knowledge in the Bible is outdated, I feel it is a good thing to show people that there are other ways of living life, which can allow you to be more independent, individualized, and develop your own skills and profession to your own liking.

Maybe that makes me a sinner, and an agent of the Devil. But it also is the reason we have computers, automobiles, chemisry, medicine, space shuttles, digital cameras, electricity, modern amenities, and so many other good things, which have advanced our lives so far.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
FYI. Evangelism is a term that has absolutely nothing to do with atheism.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is purely Christian and has to do with the gospels. There is no such thing as an evangelical atheist. Passionate, yes. Opinionated, yes. Evangelical. NO. The title of this thread is a direct contradiction.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

en.wikipedia.org...

It is purely Christian and has to do with the gospels. There is no such thing as an evangelical atheist. Passionate, yes. Opinionated, yes. Evangelical. NO. The title of this thread is a direct contradiction.

This is biased, semantic pedantry, and I reject it.
edit on 29-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

en.wikipedia.org...

I think you know what I meant. Perhaps I chose my words poorly

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think some people mistake "pointing out obvious logic/science flaws" with "atheist evangelism".

I couldn't care less what people believe, as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way. But if someone comes out with a statement (eg: the earth is 6k years old...or "a global flood really happened"), then I will reserve the right to point out whether or not it is scientifically correct or not.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

I couldn't care less what people believe, as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way.

Me either.

My issues are ignorance of atheism and religion in government.

I think some posters who make statements on atheism - - - also watch FOX news and consider themselves and expert on politics.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Another reason is that I think some religions can be pretty horrible and many followers are hypocrites. Take the guys for example who care about whether others marry a guy or a girl. I personally like girls (I'm a dude btw), but why on earth would I ever care who other people marry???

So those fundamentalists then go on to say they can't get married because it "says so in the bible". Well then, there's a lot of stuff in the bible in the same sections as the "no man shall..." section. Take this one for example:

So technically, if you claim the bible is the ultimate way, and you're ok with deciding who gets to marry who...well...you then also have to start campaigning for having any girl executed who isn't a virgin when she gets married. Good luck with that

What that tells me is that those believers walk through the world with a "f*** logic" attitude. And since they get to vote, influencing my life and that of others in the process, I will do what I can to stop this incredible ignorance. Believe whatever you want, but the second you try to force others to follow your belief, you lost in my mind. You want to push something through that has an impact on others? Fine! But base it on logic and rationality please, not some 2000 year old book that's often DEMONSTRABLY wrong and illogical!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Some common sense needs to be applied, here. Mosaic Law was Hell even back when it was relevant. Technically speaking, I should have been put to death under it, as well; I took a swing at my father, once, although I will maintain to my grave that he deserved it.

9. Hear O Israel, JOVA, thy God is One; many are My seers, and My prophets. In Me all live and move, and have subsistence.

10. Ye shall not take away the life of any creature for your pleasure, nor for your profit. nor yet torment it.
11. Ye shall not steal the goods of any, nor gather lands and riches to yourselves, beyond your need or use.
12. Ye shall not eat the flesh, nor drink the blood of any slaughtered creature, nor yet any thing which bringeth disorder to your health or senses.
13. Ye shall not make impure marriages, where love and health are not, nor yet corrupt yourselves, or any creature made pure by the Holy.
14. Ye shall not bear false witness against any, nor wilfully deceive any by a lie to hurt them.
15. Ye shall not do unto others, as ye would not that others should do unto you.

16. Ye shall worship One Eternal, the Father-Mother in Heaven, of Whom are all things, and reverence the holy Name.
17. Ye shall revere your fathers and your mothers on earth, whose care is for you, and all the Teachers of Righteousness.
18. Ye shall cherish and protect the weak, and those who are oppressed, and all creatures that suffer wrong.
19. Ye shall work with your hands the things that are good and seemly; so shalt ye eat the fruits Of the earth, and live long in the land.
20. Ye shall purify yourselves daily and rest the Seventh Day from labour, keeping holy the Sabbaths and the Festival of your God.
21. Ye shall do unto others as ye would that others should do unto you.

22. And when the disciples heard these words, they smote upon their breasts, saying: Wherein we have offended. O God forgive us: and may thy wisdom, love and truth within us incline our hearts to love and keen this Holy Law.
23. And Jesus said unto them, My yoke is equal and my burden light, if ye will to bear it, to you it will be easy. Lay no other burden on those that enter into the kingdom, but only these necessary things.
24. This is the new Law unto the Israel of God, and the Law is within, for it is the Law of Love, and it is not new but old. Take heed that ye add nothing to this law, neither take anything from it. Verily I say unto you, they who believe and obey this law shall be saved, and they who know and obey it not, shall be lost.

The above is from the Gospel of the Holy Twelve. It's non-canon, like all of Christianity's best stuff is.
edit on 6-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

But that's exactly the issue, believers CHERRY PICK the parts they like. For example, many believe in Genesis, which is in the same book as the horrible "had sex before marriage => death" section

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

reply to post by petrus4

But that's exactly the issue, believers CHERRY PICK the parts they like. For example, many believe in Genesis, which is in the same book as the horrible "had sex before marriage => death" section

Well, another part of the problem here, is that a lot of the atheists posting on this forum are Americans, who likewise are complaining about American Christians; who are probably the single most insane branch of Christianity on the planet.

Your Christians really are worse than other people's. Honestly. I've known mentally ill Christians here in Australia, yes, but they still weren't anywhere near as bad as what I've heard about the American ones.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

reply to post by petrus4

Well, another part of the problem here, is that a lot of the atheists posting on this forum are Americans, who likewise are complaining about American Christians; who are probably the single most insane branch of Christianity on the planet.

Your Christians really are worse than other people's. Honestly. I've known mentally ill Christians here in Australia, yes, but they still weren't anywhere near as bad as what I've heard about the American ones.

FYI, I'm not from the US....but I totally agree with you there

Trip through Kansas was one of the most insane trips I ever made. Some of the stuff I heard would be rated comedy in other countries...

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

reply to post by petrus4

FYI, I'm not from the US....but I totally agree with you there

Trip through Kansas was one of the most insane trips I ever made. Some of the stuff I heard would be rated comedy in other countries...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Attending to a particular belief system polarizes you. The more you polarize, the more enemies you create for yourself due to this belief system. I'm not an atheist nor do I prescribe to a religion. I'm as close to being agnostic as anything. I seek balance.

Daily I'm bombarded with Facebook religious themed memes and I've lost a job before due to an over zealous religious manager. Spirituality should be kept a very personal thing.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join