Faraday Cage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
So, my next home project I will be working on is a faraday cage. My first thought was to use an old PA speaker box, take it apart and pull the speakers out and line the inside with aluminum. But after taking apart the box I realized that the speakers, which I was told do not work, might make a pretty nice box with a small soldiering job. Still considering the speaker box, but now I am back to square one, trying to think of something, laying around the house that doesn't get much use, that I could easily take with me on the road on that fine day.

Mainly I hope to spare a few laptops and pda, type peripherals. But it will also become the new permanent home for smaller, more important survival items like, flashlights, inverters etc.

So It thought I would consult ATS. What are your ideas?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I am no electronics pro by any means, but I have heard that microwave ovens make a great faraday cage for the purposes your talking about.
Broken Microwave ovens can be had for a song, as well. Looking forward to other posts on this, as it very possibly can be a lifesaver for sensitive items.
Peace

ETA I would love to find an inexpensive way to protect myself and my pet if I knew something like a Carrington event or some sort of EMP weapon was incoming...
edit on 29-5-2012 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Yes Ive heard that, but they also when turned on keep radiation in. Another suggestion was an aluminum trash can. But somehow I don't think I can justify keeping the computers in a trash can to the other half lol.

ETA: we do have a mini fridge that isn't working, but I was thinking something more portable.
edit on 29-5-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Go to your local home repair store and buy a sheet or two of fine mesh screen (Must be made from metal), cut and form into the appropriate size container you desire. Use wire to secure the openings together. Once built ground to earth. You can also line this container built with foil if you desire.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Take a look around a DIY store, I'm sure they'll have a lot of metal mesh things there.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Does it matter what kind of metal? Also how important is it to be grounded? Would that be the equivalent of say using the mini fridge and bolting it into the ground?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Once again, I am no authority on the subject, but I dont think that residual radiation from a broken microwave is going to have any effect on our sensitive electronics. Especially when compared with the potential damage that could occur from an EMP type event.
Hopefully someone with more awareness will chime in here.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

No worries. Im not exactly an expert either obviously. The microwave is a good idea, but I was hoping for something bigger and lighter hopefully. Mobility is the goal really.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Does it matter what kind of metal? Also how important is it to be grounded? Would that be the equivalent of say using the mini fridge and bolting it into the ground?

Copper Mesh would be the best (more affordable than gold/silver). Grounding is important to dissipate any risidual charge after a EMP event, it will also help to discharge the charge away from your electronics as the event(s) take place.

I dont know how effective a mini fridge would be for a Faraday cage, but as long as it is metal on the out side then it may just work, also it has a built in ground, just clip the two flat prongs off and plug in the ground section.

Edit: As an after thought, removing most of the paint from the exterior of the fridge may also help to absorb and disparate the charge, also check to see if the ground on the plug is indeed grounded to the exterior metal of the fridge, I am not sure if that is the case of a mini fridge. Also do not use your mini fridge for cooling your electronics (computer), as this may cause unwanted and damaging condensation on your electronics.
edit on 29-5-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Hmm. Ill look into that. Not sure if I want to part with the mini fridge though it could come in handy if I could get the damn thing to work. So if I went with the speaker box idea I would just build a wire from the cage for grounding? And if I had it in a car? Or would that matter cause an emp would destroy the car?

Edit: As an after thought, removing most of the paint from the exterior of the fridge may also help to absorb and disparate the charge, also check to see if the ground on the plug is indeed grounded to the exterior metal of the fridge, I am not sure if that is the case of a mini fridge. Also do not use your mini fridge for cooling your electronics (computer), as this may cause unwanted and damaging condensation on your electronics.

Wouldn't want that!

I believe it has a ground wire already.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Line a suitcase or laptop bag with Copper foil. ESD bags also work. You know the infrastructure like cell towers and power distribution will be knocked out . Guess you can watch a movie on your laptop until the battery dies while the SHTF.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I found a pretty cool and simple explanation and a brief desciption on construction of a Faraday cage, good information Faraday Cage.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Hmm. Ill look into that. Not sure if I want to part with the mini fridge though it could come in handy if I could get the damn thing to work. So if I went with the speaker box idea I would just build a wire from the cage for grounding? And if I had it in a car? Or would that matter cause an emp would destroy the car?

Wouldn't want that!

I believe it has a ground wire already.

So after a little self re-education, a Faraday cage used to protect electronic equipment from an EMP would not need to be grounded as the resulting electromagnetic radiation would be disapated in the form of heat in the cage its self (even a vary large EMP would not cause much heat). A Faraday cage that is used to protect from direct contact with sustained electromagnetic radiation (such as lightning) would need to be grounded) the heat build up from that type of exposure would simple melt the cage if it was not grounded.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Go large or go home LOL. Line all your walls and ceiling/floor with foil, crimp it together, leave no holes. Then ground the entire foil set to your water pipe. If you do it properly, with no holes, it's EMF impenetrable. I have built room sized Faraday cages before for EMF experiments and recording studios, so I know it works ;-)

One thing that will really surprise you is that once you have done this, put a cot into the room and go to sleep. It's ef'ing amazing. I had one guy in a band who was a pretty well controlled narcoleptic. He'd play all night with the band, never fall asleep, but when he went into my insulated room, he had to lay down and he was asleep in seconds. Of course I had 100 oz carpet on the floors with 3/4" underpad and 2.5 lb sound insulation on the walls are ceiling. That room was like nothing I had ever built or encountered before, it was the deadest space I have ever been inside.

Faraday cages are way cool when they are done right.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Yeah, I've been thinking about making a faraday bag or even buying one, but the good ones are about $200. Anyways I would hope to store external hard drives and other things that can preserve energy and hopefully not let the laptop battery power die. Things as simple as a flashlight which most people not have as they have failed to make a faraday cage would be useless without one. Maybe store a couple car batteries and inverters for back up power. Also you can buy those solar powered lights at wal mart for about a buck. If you have some of those, the sun can recharge, rechargeable batteries for you.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I dont necessarily plan on staying here when TSHTF. I will sooner bug out as I live in the suburbs of Houston.

The sleeping thing sounds cool though, I'd like to try that. Sounds like you have one hell of a jam studio. Would love to try that out too.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Thanks for that link. Best one Ive come across on the subject.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Go large or go home LOL. Line all your walls and ceiling/floor with foil, crimp it together, leave no holes. Then ground the entire foil set to your water pipe. If you do it properly, with no holes, it's EMF impenetrable. I have built room sized Faraday cages before for EMF experiments and recording studios, so I know it works ;-)

One thing that will really surprise you is that once you have done this, put a cot into the room and go to sleep. It's ef'ing amazing. I had one guy in a band who was a pretty well controlled narcoleptic. He'd play all night with the band, never fall asleep, but when he went into my insulated room, he had to lay down and he was asleep in seconds. Of course I had 100 oz carpet on the floors with 3/4" underpad and 2.5 lb sound insulation on the walls are ceiling. That room was like nothing I had ever built or encountered before, it was the deadest space I have ever been inside.

Faraday cages are way cool when they are done right.

Cheers - Dave

I have the pleasure to visit two different nearly sound prrof rooms, one at a gentelmans house in hawaii who had an amazing sound system (probably close to $500,000.00) with the sound system off it is a rather odd feeling of no sound, you can actually hear the blood coursing through your body after a few minutes. one other time was at a high end speaker manufacture in Canada. It is an amazing discovery when you find out just loud the world around you is.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Also before I forget there were a few other things I wanted to ask. Maybe someone knows the answers. In the event of an EMP, how long would you have say it happened 30 miles away to get your gear into a faraday cage? How long should you leave it in there?

Would all cars and electronics be useless? How would you go about restoring equipment after an EMP? Is it essentially the same as taking a magnet to a hard drive or a cassette tape?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Also it may be in here also
a lot off cool thing in here
www.pssurvival.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join