Google spies deliberately stole personal information in drive-by data harvasting but executives 'cov

page: 1

join

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Google spies deliberately stole personal information in drive-by data harvasting but executives 'covered it up' for years

www.dailymail.co.uk

Google is facing an inquiry into claims that it deliberately harvested information from millions of UK home computers.
The Information Commissioner data protection watchdog is expected to examine the work of the internet giant’s Street View cars.
They downloaded emails, text messages, photographs and documents from wi-fi networks as they photographed virtually every British road.
It is two years since Google first admitted stealing fragments of personal data, but claimed it was a ‘mistake’.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
They claimed it was a mistake hahahah! Oh man.. yay for google, just another big brother eye out there watching your every move!

They actually downloaded emails, texts, pictures while they drove past your house (im assunming that would be unsecured WFI networks? Although, im sure google has algorythyms to bust your security code).

This is wrong on sooo many levels. They deliberatly stole private data underguise of photgraphing the streets.. horrible!

Thoughts?!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Of course it was deliberate. It's not like anything is going to happen to the executives.
I'm glad I live on a dead end street, their Google van didn't go past my house.

Regardless, Google and Microsoft and Apple, whoever wants your information can and will get it. The FBI, NSA, CIA, and the rest of the alphabet gang can target any one of us anytime, for any reason, and there's no one higher up we can turn to for help. That's the reality of the situation.

It's a double edged sword though. We can use their own weapons against them.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This also happened in Australia:

"Street View cars not only photographed streets but recorded wi-fi network details, as well as "names, addresses, telephone numbers, URLs, passwords, email, text messages, medical records, video and audio files".

And here is what Google said to us Aussies about it:

"we want to reiterate to Australians that this was a mistake for which we are sincerely sorry".

A #ing mistake...yeah right! You don't take photos of nearly every persons house in a country while taking all their data then claim it to be a mistake.

If this isn't the final nail in the coffin regarding Google to be a data mining company, then i don't know what is. What a disgrace!

S&F Mate

www.heraldsun.com.au...
edit on 29-5-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

How exactly can we do that? If there's a way I'd sure like to know.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Remember when Google was a search engine?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

It must be unsecure wifi. Secure wifi is not that hard to crack at all, with the right tools and time. WEP is super easy, WPA and WPA2 password you need totally different attacks, which involves catching a large number of the right kinds packets. Not really something that can be done while just driving by a house.

Then again, I have a feeling that the information out in the open about hacking, is probably a few years behind the cutting edge stuff. Like the military.
edit on Tue, 29 May 2012 00:42:06 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Not surprised Good thing i have my Wi fi connection turned off!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
So they got caught..... who cares

You know how many other agency's and companies must drive around in unmarked cars getting this information, its your own fault if you have an unsecured network

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKoala

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

How exactly can we do that? If there's a way I'd sure like to know.

Well, they use the internet to gather intelligence about all of us. Probably to be used against us some day when we are backed too far into a corner of ridiculous laws.

We can also use the internet against them and their agendas, by doing what we're doing on ATS, and by passing along the evidence to others online.

I have saved lives by using the information I've acquired online, and those people have shared it with others, and so on. It's a great tool, it can be used for good or evil. Most of us will use it to help ourselves and each other, and we can also use it to expose all the corruption from companies like Google. Exposure effects consumer trust, that in turn effects profits, so collectively we can make a huge difference in this war against us.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

GOOGLE: Government Operated Ogres Gathering Legalized Erudition

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Was reading about this the other day while checking up on news headlines, figured it was already posted.
There was a good image used,

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
It was a mistake....that we got CAUGHT!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I have long since lost faith in Google and these other large companies who are now driven by the profit motive. Can you just imagine what FaceBook will start to do with all the data they hold about you now that they need to make as much money as possible?

I find the way these companies push the limits of acceptability and move that acceptability into the norm is worrying. I also have a serious issue with how these companies seem to avoid tax everywhere, but that's a different topic about corporate ethics. That said, if the corporate ethics are about tax avoidance, why should they care about being ethical elsewhere?

Regards

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404

Remember when Google's motto was "Don't be evil."?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by Anonymous404

Remember when Google's motto was "Don't be evil."?

Talk about breaking your own code

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics
top topics

join