It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of God what do we do about this plague!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
so I'm chatting away last night, having a grand old time - been a long time since I had multiple conversations going in multiple clients - totally reminded me why I got addicted to the internet in the first place

Suddenly out of nowhere!!!!! this thing falls on my keyboard!!!!

Image credit and article here - ento.psu.edu...

Needless to say, I jumped 15 feet in the air (head through the ceiling, haha) ran out the room, then felt like an idiot cause I knew without coming back that it was a stinkbug....

So I get some tissues and gently put it in the garbage.

My reaction doesn't surprise me. There is a reason I have never killed a stinkbug. All of my life I have been deathly afraid of cockroaches, and I'm not excited about any hard shell bug - the crunch alone skeeves me. So I'm one of the few who couldn't even tell you what a stinkbug smells like.

But I got over it. We had a bit of an infestation a few years ago but luckily most of those moved to California by now (where is the eyeroll...)
no wait....
I generally only get the crap scared out of me by them once or twice a month, we got good windows, tight seals, air conditioning, etc..... but they still find a way in (hitchhikers maybe..... no must be a hole somewhere cause.....)....

So I blew off the incident and I relay my story to my friends and they're all laughing at my pain, Haha so funny.

Then BAM!!!!!! more like a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHH

another flies right at my face!!!!!!

What is this? a stinkbug suicide bomber? Why am I the target????

2 mins to stop my heart from racing, and again I get some tissues, throw him in the trash. All fine and good.

But no, they're not having this. They sent reinforcements tonight and I've already been attacked 3 times in the last 2 hours that I've been home!

What is going on!!!! This is driving me insane. I plan to have a heart attack, any stinkbug now.

I know I got minor problems in the grand scheme of things. Apparently these monstrosities are eating through numerous crops, and spreading like wildfire. I read somewhere (possibly the above article) that it only took them 4 years to get from Pennsylvania to California..... and they have no known predators aside from a wasp that possibly helps keep them in check by eating their eggs... and doesn't live in this country.... unfortunate......

Makes me wish I kept that wasps nest in my window last year (no, no that wasn't working out for me either...)

So I don't know - just venting cause right now my heart rate is up and I'm all hyper cause of the bombardment.

I'm just glad these bugs didn't exist when I was younger. I might be deathly afraid of them instead of cockroaches and God knows if I ever see one of those in my house - I'm moving. (more likely calling an exterminator immediately and staying at a friends for a few days, its happened)

And a hearty and healthy EXPLETIVE DELETED to China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan AND/OR the idiots in Pennslyvania who should've been watching incoming packages for just this sort of plague. FFS what are we paying you for?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Try having cane toads, one female has hundreds of offspring, they are one of the hardiest creatures on earth, they can kill any animal that eats them due to their poison glands and they are invading the whole top half of Australia.
Most introduced animals destroy the foreign eco systems just like rats and cats etc they are all a problem.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Try closing your windows, or using screens on them.

I've never seen a stinkbug in person, but when I want bugs to not bother me, I keep things closed, and let the cats go to work on collecting any intruders that got in the house.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sorry but your story is hilarious to say the least with all the dramatics. Kept me entertained.

Hmm I would suggest

1) Take a shower. The cleaner you are, you might ward them off. They might be attracted to the stinkiness.
2) Clean your house. Must be living in a pig pen if their attracted to you.
3) Get some raid bomber and smoke out the house.

J/k on 1 and 2, but try 3 to get rid of them.

Good luck. I would freak out.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh, but I can't help it. 3 isn't an infestation though, but if I ever had one hit me.. sorry, strike that, three hit me then I'd freak right the hell out too!! I have never in all of my life seen a stink bug though, not here in Colorado.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
There is a bloody cloud of wasps I have to deal with in the warm months when I want to get tools from the outbuilding we store them in. They haven't messed with me in years but vague memories of childhood stingings make me uneasy being around such large numbers of those vicious creatures.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Bigbruddah - no thank you - please keep your cane toads (unless they eat cockroaches and stink bugs....)

Jibbyjedi - unfortunately my windows are closed pretty much all year around.... I'm guessing they're hitchhiking into the house with the kids or they're finding a crack I haven't found yet.

Manhater - I will definitely shower and clean my house
apparently from what I'm reading though, Raid is useless.... when this first started happening I went on eBay and found some industrial stuff that gauranteed to kill stinkbugs - now that I think about it, that explains why I'm seeing more this year than previously - I ran out of that stuff pretty recently.

And if you think my theatrics are hilarious with stinkbugs, you should see me with a cockroach...........

Most popular comment, after I encounter one, by anyone who sees it happen, "Wow I never saw you move so fast!"

Mamaa - omg! its not 3 though now its 5!!!!!!!! 5 is an infestation!!!!!!!
seriously though, when it first started, I was seeing more than 5 a day. The infestation I speak of now mostly concerns the entire continent.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Forevever because: respond to MaMaa

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

whats the point of putting something living in the garbage... "gently"?

Are you being polite?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

About 20 years ago, the man and I were getting ready for bed when a mouse decided to get stuck in the empty trash can....

We argued for about 2 hours who was going to take out the trash - I finally did it, then felt guilty for the rest of the night cause I knew it was gonna freeze to death. That was a fun night

Hey as long as it gets out of my house though. I can't open a window to throw it out, more might get in!!!

Oh and I do it gently cause I don't want it to escape my strategically wadded up tissues and/or accidentally get crunched. I can't take it. I can't take the crunch - and they say it comes with an odor, I sure don't need that.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think they are attracted to heat, thus computer screen and your body. Just don't squish one cuz it be stanky and will make your eyes water and then you can taste it on your tongue...yuck!

Some seasons they have a population explosion and hang out in hordes. They will soon dissipate, but some will remain throughout the warm months.
Enjoyed your story too.

Peace

ETA "what to do about.."
My friend says use a spray bottle with water and a little dish soap. The bugs do not like it and will depart the area. He says it does not hurt the bugs either, for anyone that may care.
edit on 28-5-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

yeah I agree - from what I'm reading they're attracted to heat and light

the fear drove me to start googling though and I think its a big concern in the long run

if it interests anyone, from the article

This insect is becoming an important agricultural pest in Pennsylvania. In 2010, it produced severe losses in some apple and peach orchards by damaging peaches and apples.

It truly is a plague, and unless it has a natural predator.... we could be looking at ant-like infestations. Super colonies!

And I read they CAN bite.... not that I'd handle one to find out....

On the bright side, it won't fit in in any of your facial orifices - so you can sleep soundly

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I have never heard of anyone being bit by one, but hey, who wants to be the first huh?

Like Jedi said, screens are important me thinks. You could let one crawl on your hand a bit, then you might desensitize yourself, and not let them bug you out!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

OP I have a problem with them where I live, on Maryland's lower eastern shore. I believe they are responsable for the poor vegetable production in my garden. I also have a Musa Basjoo banana tree, I have knocked them off that tree before.......now there are holes all over the leaves....I think they are culprit, but I never remember them growing up. Where did they come from?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

Well it appears they were accidentally dropped off in a shipment coming from China Taiwan Japan who knows around 2006? I have to double check that year it totally slipped my mind.

They were first spotted in Allentown PA (pretty close to you, extremely close to me) and by 2010 they were being seen regularly in California.

If you see more than a few a week, I would put all my money on thats whats eating your garden. I did read about a natural pesticide that "might" work, but they lost me on the word "might".

I'll be looking on eBay for more of that industrial stuff I bought back in 2007. Trust.

And you're absolutely correct - we did NOT see these things growing up. First time I saw one my kid told me it was a stinkbug I didn't believe him. I never heard of such a thing.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply, my plants did very well in the green house, since I brought them out to be pollenated these bugs seemed to be all over the place.......I will check out some ways to get rid of them, I have been trying hard to preserve the plants.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I have to be honest. I grew up in SE Texas and ran the swamps as a kid, I have had gators on the doc, snakes in my boat,and swamp rats in my cabins. But you let on of thoses big tree roaches land on me and I will take off like a little girl. Spiders and snakes, any day, but roaches. It has always amazed me ( and embarrassed ) that on could love and handle snakes and such but fear a roach so much.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by David134

oh I hear that - luckily those tree ones are solitary - sadly they're also the biggest

I believe fear comes from ignorance so I know way more about cockroaches than anyone (who isn't an entomologist) should.

Be glad you don't live in Florida
I know I am. While Palmetto bugs aren't actually cockroaches, they sure look like them to me. If I ever came face to face with one, I'd just die right on the spot.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Awww Stink bugs!!! I hate them. The bight only hurts for half an hour, it's the swelling and numbness for the next 4 days that can be a little off putting.

If there were 3, you can bet there is a nest. So you might find more happening along during the cooler nights as they tend to find warm places to nest, seems like you have one right near you.

They also jump fast. Like FAST! So while you think it's slowly jitting about, one quick movement from you, in fear or out of shock, and it can jump into your hair and then burrow down into it, making it almost impossible to get out, and if it bights your scalp, that can actually be a problem, with the swelling and the smell of the wound is awful.

The best thing to do, I'd suggest moving into a hotel for the next few weeks, and leave everything off in your house. They will not like the cold and likely move on to your neighbours house. That's better than having them lay eggs in your roof, because then they will really come at you.

I knew of an infestation once in this house my friend used to rent, and he hadn't realised it was there until it started to get cooler in the evenings. One night he was telling me all about how his life got flipped turned upside down, and he'd like to take a minute just sit right there, he'll tell me how he became the prince of a town called bel-air.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Well, the little buggers stink pretty bad, hence the name. They are completely harmless, which is why they need that odoriferous ambiance! Just think if you were a bird; would you want to eat that? I mean, I have smelled many of these things, having grown up in the South, and I have smelled better farts. Skunk even smells good by comparison. They eat plants, or rather suck the juices like little smelly plant vampires, but they have no interest in biting you. If threatened, of course, they will exude that lovely aroma, which can contain nasty-almond smelling cyanide compounds, but it will not hurt you. Hell, in Laos, they even use the little blighters as a spice in food!

I bet there is lots of nice, juicy vegetation around your dwelling. Replete with yummy plant juices, those stinkbugs might just be looking for a nice warm and safe place to hang out. Find something or some way to discourage them from coming inside, is all I can say. You will never get rid of them. They will not be a major danger to your plants unless there is some kind of population explosion.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

sorry darlin, but its summer
if I turn everything off, they'll throw a party

today was over 90 degrees (I don't know how high it went, we stayed home), and its almost 2 in the morning and still 81 degrees - we got heat advisories for the next few days

so I'm thinking the presense is probably accidental and I should crank up my air conditioning

Oh and another reason I might be seeing them (aside from running out of bug spray), they just removed a lilac bush from my yard. If they were living in there, then they probably moved to the tree for food. The tree is immediately outside my bedroom window. So most likely the cause is an opening somewhere around the air conditioner ...... actually now I think about it, the window at the top is like... OPEN - I forgot to seal it when I put the AC in!!!!!!

Oh this is great news, I'm so glad I posted this now. I might never have remembered if I wasn't talking through it. Thank you!

We still need to figure out a way to keep the populations down - or they do, I know we personally can't (any chemists in the house?) I read an article that said they might bring those wasps here, but its easier said than done (which I'll never understand since these other species got here so easily). They want to quarantine them first or something, study them first, and see what kind of impact they're going to have.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join