It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help on arguing against the bible

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

In regards to multiple Gods of the bible: Can you show the references you're referring to?

And if I'm correct you're asking me which God do I believe - Jesus' or some other God of the bible? Are you referring to Mosses' or what which one?

To answer in uncertain terms: I, like most people, take what I can understand, and garner as worthy, and use it as a guide to life. I think the Abrahamic God, YHWH, is the one I subscribe to since he makes the most sense. If not for him, I would probably be Luciferian because he would make the most sense if YHWH didn't exist.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

off topic...
My faith,T&C rules and U.S.A. laws prevent me from
ever answering your obnoxious question.
If I had a dollar for everytime you asked me that question,I
would have ALL my bills paid off!
on topic..
OP,this is a good one for getting advice on dealing with christians!
He has been on a personal crusade against christians for a looooong time!
edit on 29-5-2012 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Got it!

God will cure other folks with miracles, just not amputees!

That would have been alot easier to say. Makes god look like an ass though, like when he got mad at the pharaoh for not letting the jews go. After he made the pharaoh not let the jews go.

And again, heaven to me is not gloating over billions of suffering souls...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

In regards to multiple Gods of the bible: Can you show the references you're referring to?

Please, allow me.
The Gods Of The Bible
And that's not counting all of the Gods in History, which Christians seem to Forget!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by Akragon

I think the Abrahamic God, YHWH, is the one I subscribe to since he makes the most sense. If not for him, I would probably be Luciferian because he would make the most sense if YHWH didn't exist.

Really, the god that committed genocide by flooding the whole planet with water, and that kills animals and children when he is mad at people, is the god that makes most sense?

You do know that YHWH is a war god worshipped by ancient Canaanites, right?

They even made coins with him on it. Here is a picture [1]. It is a bit faded by those slashes at the top-right corner of the coin next to the bird, says "YHWH" in ancient Hebrew.. before The Bible was made.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Thanks for the reference points... that's who i thought he was referring to the first time he asked but when he didn't accept my answer here, I asked for clarity. I thought maybe he was saying Abraham's, Mosses', and Jesus' God were different Gods.

edit on 29-5-2012 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Yes that's the one... but it kind of says why he did it so there's no need for me to interpret.

Not sure where you're going with the Canaanite coin or if its even real. Are you saying that since the Canaanites worshiped him then he does not exist or that he is not the true God?...

Or that op should print that picture and show it to his friend for a debate strategy?

eta: coin info

eta2: could be a Yehud
edit on 29-5-2012 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

The Canaanites knew that he was an EVIL WAR GOD, and this is why they worshiped him when they wanted to CONQUER he was not the only one they worshiped, they actually had nicer gods to worship when they weren't slaughtering others...

You go ahead and give your soul to a WAR GOD if you want...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I'll admit that he has been vengeful, and may have been worshiped when they wanted to defeat another army, if you admit that coin might just say ydh and be the name of a province.

If he is only a war god then his kindness puts him out of character - as does many of the other stories of the bible.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Can't you just tell him "People are People" - - - you accept each on how welcoming and accepting they are with you.

That God belief is a behavior - - not words in a book.

Defusing - - - works better then confrontation.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

If he is only a war god then his kindness puts him out of character - as does many of the other stories of the bible.

What acts of kindness? Healing people after he infected them with diseases? Giving them a promised land and making them suffer when they don't obey his every command.

Sounds more like slavery than kindness, even if you can find some so-called "kindness" it is called evolution. Characters in stories grow and change.

You said that YHWH makes the most sense but he doesn't, he doesn't even come close. Look at how it is claimed that YHWH made the world in Genesis. There is plant life without the sun, day and night without the sun, 3 days to create the earth and 1 day to create all of the stars (and the moon).

Saying that he created water and called the top water "sky" and the bottom water "sea". The sky may contain SOME water but it is NOT water, that was a major lie. The Sky is not water like the sea.

There is a lot of non-sense you follow YHWH because you want to, not because of logic.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Those weren't good arguments against the bible.

It clearly says light and even night and day before it mentions plants, and there is surely water in the air...

If you honestly cannot understand something that's one thing, but it's wrong to purposely and maliciously try to distort wording of the bible and of coinage to cause a slanted view. I see your game and I'm not amused.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

It clearly says light and even night and day before it mentions plants, and there is surely water in the air...

If you honestly cannot understand something that's one thing, but it's wrong to purposely and maliciously try to distort wording of the bible and of coinage to cause a slanted view. I see your game and I'm not amused.

Alrighty, let's distort nothing and take it all exactly as it's written. That's even more frightening.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

It's called spin. Hey this dude even makes a wealthy living at it 4.bp.blogspot.com... and he is always amused by what he does laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404

reply to post by arpgme

Alrighty, let's distort nothing and take it all exactly as it's written. That's even more frightening.

Do you understand what deliberate distortion is?

If not this guy teaches it 4.bp.blogspot.com... so maybe you can catch one of his seminars on how to do deliberately distort something.

"Learn how to create a falsehood of perception within one hour." Call Rove Enterprises now! All you have to do is make a donation to American Crossroads.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

It clearly says light and even night and day before it mentions plants,

But there is no sun or stars, which was my point. Light and day and night was existing before the Sun or stars, which doesn't make sense since we know that it is the sunlight and the rotation of the Earth which causes day and night.

reply to post by arpgme

and there is surely water in the air...

The Bible says that the sky IS water, not that water is in the sky. God created the water and the TOP WATER was called "sky" and the bottom water was called "sea".

It is YOU who is changing things to try to defend the bible when it doesn't make sense, which only is more evidence to my point that you follow YHWH because you want to and not because it makes sense.

Have fun with your war and slave god.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

Interpret and distort aren't the same,even if you would like them to be.

And lets stay on topic please.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

reply to post by arpgme

It clearly says light and even night and day before it mentions plants,

But there is no sun or stars, which was my point. Light and day and night was existing before the Sun or stars, which doesn't make sense since we know that it is the sunlight and the rotation of the Earth which causes day and night.

reply to post by arpgme

and there is surely water in the air...

The Bible says that the sky IS water, not that water is in the sky. God created the water and the TOP WATER was called "sky" and the bottom water was called "sea".

It is YOU who is changing things to try to defend the bible when it doesn't make sense, which only is more evidence to my point that you follow YHWH because you want to and not because it makes sense.

Have fun with your war and slave god.

I'm pretty sure the Big Bang was not dark, and your interjection of "slave god" says it all why you don't want to open your mind up to what Bleeeeep has to say.

Top water? I can't find that mentioned in the original Hebrew text.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

upload.wikimedia.org... 1768.jpg

Where does it say I have to pick a bail of cotton all day for no pay?

Does not being a slave mean I can be a degenerate animal and general menace to society?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Oh now I see. I thought you were talking about plants without light to feed them.

That is a half way good point, so I'll give you a star for it.

What brings about an issue for me though is that, even back then, those people must have known that the sun made the light, and so why would they write it as light came first - Unless they were told that?

The water thing, although it was written quite weird, I could understand why it would be conveyed that way by the writer - its just bad terminology. Preacher guy could say that justifiably.

I do have a personal theory that can explain night and day, before sun and stars, but no one will like it - and its definitely not in the bible ...computer reality. In a virtual word you do not need a sun to make light.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join