It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help on arguing against the bible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Step back for a second. What is your goal here? Do you want to get him to give up the Bible? Fat chance, and it will take a fair amount of time. Do you want to embarrass him? That seems petty to me. Why can't you just say "Let's talk about something else?" Or "I'm too busy to talk right now." That's your goal isn't it?

Maybe the OP just wants to impress the guy who he believes is a respectful person and just wants to have good points to bring up for him? People are different but I can say that some of my better religious debates were with those who are really nice Christians and not those who are complete and total jerks. I have no issues with nice people but something in me makes me feel as if I should be testing their faith.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

i like your style, great qustion ill pass it on!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ask him how his religion explains evolution, and if he doesn't believe in evolution, ask him how HE explains drug-resistant strains of diseases.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous404
Ask him how his religion explains evolution, and if he doesn't believe in evolution, ask him how HE explains drug-resistant strains of diseases.

Not a single question in this thread so far should (note: SHOULD) derail a Christian, if they're both intelligent, and well-read in biblical terms.

The question above is a good example.
This isn't an example of evolution in the broader sense of the term. It IS a good example of natural selection. What this means is that drug-resistant bacteria have survived, those that were vulnerable to, say, antibiotics, have died out. That simple. Nothing new is created in the process, you're actually just thinning the gene pool with antibiotics.

Other questions in this thread (e.g God commanded Moses to kill babies) have simple explanations for those who know their bibles (Genesis 6:4, the tribes God commanded Moses to kill were the offspring of Nephilim (fallen angels) and women), are really more humorous than serious (did Adam and Eve have belly-buttons - does it really matter? Probably not, though
), or are missing the point.

But I guess that all begs the question, as others have asked, what is YOUR point? If all you want is for him to leave you alone (which is perfectly fair), can't you just be honest and state as much? If, on the other hand, you want to make him look like a fool, then maybe you need to ask yourself why. Why is it important to you to prove him wrong and make him look stupid? Most of us Christians do a perfectly good job of that without the help of people like you!

Seriously though... just be honest with him and tell him it isn't a discussion you want to have. There's nothing wrong with that, and I'd hope he'd respect you enough to leave you alone if you were up front and honest.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I am a Christian.

I don't really care for obnoxious Christians either.

A good question for this individual is..." Now what? Now that they are "saved"...What are you doing for them now?"

Or... "You fed their soul...How many people have you actually fed their bellies today?"

If he is big on winning souls only...he will have fed no one. On the other hand, he may suprise you.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

There were dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible.I have a dvd
about the subject and I will watch it and tell you which verses
talk about them.

A word of advice...you will never get 'back' at a trained,spiritually- guided,
man of G-d!

www.answersingenesis.org...
edit on 29-5-2012 by mamabeth because: added

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
OP. Get online and get a solid comprehension of what "circular argument" and "circular reasoning" are. Because that's what keeps religion afloat. Once you take away the circular logic, nothing but faith is left. Which is as it should be.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Don't argue against him. You'll never be able to convince him he's wrong.

However, if it were me I'd make a formal complaint because proselytizing should not be allowed in the workplace.

Note I wouldn't care if he was wearing a cross or something like that. Jesus himself looks down on proselytizers.

Just remember though, in the Bible each Bible verse has an equal but opposite Bible verse.
edit on 29-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
When I have religious people knock my door and try to convert me, I tend to argue that the bible is just a book written by men and told through there opinions not gods, and if the bible really is the word of god then why were large peices of it removed, if they truely believe the bible is the word of god then why are they quoting the King James bible only??

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Ok if the title makes no sense let me explain.

Where i work i get quite few preachers and priest come in. And there all really nice except one who is just fishy.
Anyway one of them always likes too quote from the bible and brag how he converts "Indians and Muslims."

And honestly im always caught off guard by him and can never think of anything of the top of my head
So i was wondering if anyone can post some bullet points that i can fire back at him

He is a really nice person and not the type to get mad if you disagree with him

He once told me that everything in the bible is true and can be scientifically proven except 44 verses.

I asked him how he can explain the evidence of dinosaurs, life before man. And the guy is like a politician he answers a question with another question

so anyone got any tips on how to pin him down

Thanks also no hate against religious people

EDIT: just to add i think the reason he keeps trying to convert me is that i told him im not a atheist its not necessarily that i don't believe in god just that i think its impossible at this time to know one way or the other which religion if any is true. So why should i live my whole life taking such a chance.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

First tell him you are an Atheist. Being Agnostic is an oxymoron.

2nd, ask him what he considers "proof".

3rd, ask him who assembled the bible.

4th , ask him can he prove(or anyone for that matter) that Luke wrote Luke or Paul wrote Paul

5fth, ask what is the difference between Faith and Blind Faith

6th, who wrote the King James Bible

Enjoy Bixx, and please post me what his rebuttal is.

Ps- To everyone else, I know the answer so don't give me your opinion . This is for Bixx only.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You could do what I do and say "Now quote me something from a book that WASN'T edited more than Wikipedia."

The simple truth is that the Bible's meaning and message is good but following it word for word is about as ignorant as it can possibly get.

I get highly irritated when ATS members pull this stunt...and a lot of them do. They quote scripture and then derive meaning beyond the allegorical. I could go in to great depth as to why that is a mistake. For one, we have an ancient oral language with stories told and retold over and over until finally someone wrote it down in an ancient written language, then it was edited for content many times over by the various heads of the Church (which was the absolute authority for quite some time), and then we have the Council of Nicaea which reorganized, removed, and added information, then it was edited again, translated, edited, and translated into King James version, which most of us know of, then edited and translated again into the version that most spew out on forums like this.

Congratulations, Bible-talkers, you've managed to play the most ancient game of "telephone" in the history of mankind.

Meanwhile, the Sumerians have a pretty succinct history and wrote down damn near everything.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Bixxi3

There were dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible.I have a dvd
about the subject and I will watch it and tell you which verses
talk about them.

A word of advice...you will never get 'back' at a trained,spiritually- guided,
man of G-d!

www.answersingenesis.org...
edit on 29-5-2012 by mamabeth because: added

That link was stupid.

I'm so sad people actually take the Bible literally. So sad.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Ask him why god never heals amputees!

If God is real and if God inspired the Bible, then we should worship God as the Bible demands. We should certainly post the Ten Commandments in our courthouses and shopping centers, put "In God We Trust" on the money and pray in our schools. We should focus our society on God and his infallible Word because our everlasting souls hang in the balance.

On the other hand, if God is imaginary, then religion is a complete illusion. Christianity, Judaism and Islam are pointless. Belief in God is nothing but a silly superstition, and this superstition leads a significant portion of the population to be delusional.

But how can we decide, conclusively, whether God is real or imaginary?

Since we are intelligent human beings living in the 21st century, we should take the time to look at some data. That is what we are doing when we ask, "Why won't God heal amputees?"

If you are an intelligent human being, and if you want to understand the true nature of God, you owe it to yourself to ask, "Why won't God heal amputees?"

whywontgodhealamputees.com...

Plenty of fodder in there.

Ask him if he has health insurance, if he does. Well he doesn't trust JC all that much with prayer...

Ask him about "The Hero Pattern" that Lord Raglan discovered.

Ask him for an eyewitness account of JC, or some sort of "official document" that mentions his existance.

Ask him who god was talking to when he said "Let US make man in OUR image"

That's just the tip o'the iceberg!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24

Not a single question in this thread so far should (note: SHOULD) derail a Christian, if they're both intelligent, and well-read in biblical terms.

The question above is a good example.
This isn't an example of evolution in the broader sense of the term. It IS a good example of natural selection. What this means is that drug-resistant bacteria have survived, those that were vulnerable to, say, antibiotics, have died out. That simple. Nothing new is created in the process, you're actually just thinning the gene pool with antibiotics.

Nothing "new" is created in evolution, short term. It is a mutation to help the organism survive. That's how every evolutionary advancement occurs. It's a small mutation, or step, in the "grand scheme of things."

EDIT: Look here.

edit on 5/29/2012 by Anonymous404 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by Bixxi3
Were not really arguing its more like a friendly debate. i was just asking for some help on what i could say to him.
Any one else find it fun to argue a position?

Well, that fact that you don't have any argue points makes me wonder if you actually have a reason for not believing, or if you just do it to be different.
Do some soul searching find out why YOU don't believe in God, don't let some youtube video or people on ATS give you the reasons you should already have.

I entirely agree with this.^^^
For me, if you don't believe in it, look at your own reasons why.
What has made you question the bible, god etc. There must be a reason.
Research it further, find reasons you believe to be flaws in the book, religion, belief system.

Otherwise, and I genuinely mean no offence here, but it is like you are arguing for the sake of arguing?
It may not be the case, but thats how it comes across.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Oh yeah! Almost forgot!

If you want the Christians to stop trying to save you, then become impossible to save!

That's right readers, there is an easy sin to do that takes you out of the whole picture. Once you comit this sin you will have all the ammunition you need to fend of the Christians.

It even works on Pastors!!!

"And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, 'He has Beelzebub,' and, 'By the ruler of the demons He casts out demons.' …'Assuredly, I [Jesus] say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter; but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation;' because they said, 'He has an unclean spirit'"

Mark 3:22-30

"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come"

Matthew 12:31-32

There you go, just say:

The holy spirit is a pansy ass fool.

Be sure to believe it, like I do (Well I believe much worse things about that so-called "spirit")

Jesus said it himself THREE TIMES no less. You talk crap about the spirit, you're out.
edit on 5/29/2012 by adigregorio because: Forgot to add the second source scripture
(I want to say there is a third, in the book of Ringo...)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

There need to be reasons to believe, not NOT to believe. The burden of evidence lies on those proving, not those who don't believe.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

reply to post by facchino

There need to be reasons to believe, not NOT to believe. The burden of evidence lies on those proving, not those who don't believe.

My Post:
For me, if you don't believe in it, look at your own reasons why.
What has made you question the bible, god etc. There must be a reason.
Research it further, find reasons you believe to be flaws in the book, religion, belief system.

Not sure what you are getting at to be honest?
I just suggested the OP read up and formulate his own opinions and reasons for "not believing" (or a lack of faith as it should be called) as opposed to having this stance without coming to the conclusion by himself.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fourthmeal

Don't feel sad for me,I feel sad for those who don't believe.
Bottomline...there are dinosaurs in the Bible!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Some of my favourites good luck trying to educate pork

Oops, nearly forgot her's one that I never get a straight answer to here on ATS

"If your god told you to kill me would you do it yes or no ?

Hey M did I ever ask you that ?

edit on 29-5-2012 by ChristianJihad because: add

edit on 29-5-2012 by ChristianJihad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join