It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help on arguing against the bible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ok if the title makes no sense let me explain.

Where i work i get quite few preachers and priest come in. And there all really nice except one who is just fishy.
Anyway one of them always likes too quote from the bible and brag how he converts "Indians and Muslims."

And honestly im always caught off guard by him and can never think of anything of the top of my head
So i was wondering if anyone can post some bullet points that i can fire back at him

He is a really nice person and not the type to get mad if you disagree with him

He once told me that everything in the bible is true and can be scientifically proven except 44 verses.

I asked him how he can explain the evidence of dinosaurs, life before man. And the guy is like a politician he answers a question with another question

so anyone got any tips on how to pin him down

Thanks also no hate against religious people

EDIT: just to add i think the reason he keeps trying to convert me is that i told him im not a atheist its not necessarily that i don't believe in god just that i think its impossible at this time to know one way or the other which religion if any is true. So why should i live my whole life taking such a chance.
edit on 28-5-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

If he answers your question with another one, tell him to address your original question first? Tell him that if god was real why is there so much hatred and wrong doing in the world? Ask him if god made the sun on the fourth day, how did four days pass before there was a sun?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Tell him "A red herring isn't a explanation, and is a immature defense for someone of your supposed stature" and repeat the dinosaur question.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Ask him about carbon dating fossils.
Ask why Religions are responsible for more deaths than all wars combined.
Ask him why any benevolent "God" NEEDS to be worshiped.

If he answers a question with a question, then he's more like a politician.
Also ask him why his Religion is the correct one & why God allows all others to be wrong.

Then tell him you feel sorry for him. I do.

edit on 28-5-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

EDIT: just to add i think the reason he keeps trying to convert me is that i told him im not a atheist its not necessarily that i don't believe in god just that i think its impossible at this time to know one way or the other which religion if any is true. So why should i live my whole life taking such a chance.

This means you are agnostic, welcome to the crew brother

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

i find it works best to ask them for a dollar. if he asks why, remind him that jesus says if a mans asks for a dollar, give him two.

its really just a test tho. if he does, give them back of course.

next, actually read the bible. theres plenty in there to argue over.

one is whether the old law still applies. jesus says it does "till heaven and earth pass away", yet modern christians say it doesnt.

another tactic is to discuss the origins of the bible. how it was voted on. how it didnt exist till 400 years after christ, etc.

just a few strategies.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by Bixxi3

If he answers your question with another one, tell him to address your original question first? Tell him that if god was real why is there so much hatred and wrong doing in the world? Ask him if god made the sun on the fourth day, how did four days pass before there was a sun?

He just quotes some religious text or recalls a story about his life that helped show him the way.
And i've tried asking about all the evil in the world and he told me it is original sin thanks to adam and eve. i asked why would god put that snake in the garden to tempt adam and eve in the first place and surely god would of known the outcome before it even happened!

He just said god gave us free will :s

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Also ask him why his Religion is the correct one & why God allows all others to be wrong.

I bow down to you as the new risen savoir!

JK.

But a very good point you make.
Kudos!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Good points there iI'll be sure to ask him.
Also i cant tell him i feel sorry for him i'd feel to rude lol

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You could just explain to him that while you respect his right to believe what he does, that you don't believe the same and don't want to be preached to.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Step back for a second. What is your goal here? Do you want to get him to give up the Bible? Fat chance, and it will take a fair amount of time. Do you want to embarrass him? That seems petty to me. Why can't you just say "Let's talk about something else?" Or "I'm too busy to talk right now." That's your goal isn't it?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
whats to argue www.youtube.com...

im sure you will find what you need hear if you want some argument points he wont be able to debate
edit on 29-5-2012 by BULLETINYOURHEAD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You could just ask him politely not to mention religion to you or in front of you.
There really is no reason to argue like children.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Ask him if Adam and Eve had belly buttons. I like to pose this question to anyone who tells me the bible is right.

If A&E did have belly buttons, and we're all created in the image of god, the does god have a belly button too? If god has one, was he conceived in a womb with an umbilical cord? Whose womb?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
YOU can do the work. Will do you some good to know the bible a little.

Find the section on Moses after he and the Jews left Egypt.

Find the small section where God instructs Moses just prior to an attack. God says to Moses, Kill all the men, women and boys including male babies. Keep only the Virgin Girls as slaves. Then ask if it is this passage that makes it OK for priests to rape children.

You can also find a lot of times God has killed babies. 'The first born son of every Egyptian family' is just one other example. Then ask why God kills babies.

P

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Were not really arguing its more like a friendly debate. i was just asking for some help on what i could say to him.
Any one else find it fun to argue a position?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Were not really arguing its more like a friendly debate. i was just asking for some help on what i could say to him.

Well, that fact that you don't have any argue points makes me wonder if you actually have a reason for not believing, or if you just do it to be different.
Do some soul searching find out why YOU don't believe in God, don't let some youtube video or people on ATS give you the reasons you should already have.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Well, that fact that you don't have any argue points makes me wonder if you actually have a reason for not believing, or if you just do it to be different.
Do some soul searching find out why YOU don't believe in God, don't let some youtube video or people on ATS give you the reasons you should already have.

I do, im pretty sure i said a couple in my OP im merely asking for some help to point out the contradictions in the bible.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
"He just said god gave us free will"

I LOVE it when they throw that one out there. I immediately ask them what makes christians better than god to take away that freedom when it comes to things they disagree with ? (ex: abortion)

It usually precedes a very heated debate/argument... lol

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
First, you have to stop assuming there is a way to stop him in his tracks.

There is no "end all, be all" in a religious debate. Its been going on for at least 6,000 years and nothing you say to him will end it.

How ever you handle the situation has to solely depend on what you want the outcome to be. Do you want to be converted? If yes, then shut up and listen. If not, then politely thank him for the information and ask him what kind of car he drives.....

Never trust a wealthy preacher.

Peace ♥
edit on 28-5-2012 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2012 by Forevever because: cause I lost some letters

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join