It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie Gov Says They'll Fine Anyone Who Blames Carbon Tax For Price Increases, Despite Carbon Tax C

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Aussie is taking a step in the right
direction. The carbon tax seems to low
to make a difference though as of now
to help make the planet greener.
The carbon tax needs to be doubled
in australia so these corporate leeches
have to pay for dirtying up the air and ground..
Anyone not for saving the enviroment should
be sent to the moon anyways.. Pay your fair share

Glad to see you have a good grasp on this.

Australia produces minimal Co2 compared to other developed nations. At the end of the day it is rip off and ther people are the ones who suffer.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

The new law doesn't mention anything about a company putting up a going out of business sign "due to the carbon tax"

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I don't really care what the Australian government says or does anymore. The carbon tax is just a revenue raising scheme and they won't be around long enough to have any influenece on anything in this country. They are the most hated political party in Australian history and they have earned it.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Nspekta
..., as posted earlier, that energy is taxed, which increases the costs, which must be sucked up by retailers for fear of being fined for speaking out and explaining to people why they needed to raise prices

Not even slightly.
As has been mentioned multiple times now, if there is a legitimate reason for rasing prices (such as the enrgy costs you mention) that is a perfectly legitimate reason for raising prices *by that degree* and no "fear of being fined" by mentioning it.

Ok, so i think we can both agree that every business and residence uses power that is supplied by companies, correct? Those energy companies can legitimitely claim that they need to increase prices due to carbon taxes, correct? The businesses that buy the energy that has increased in price, legitimitely due to carbon tax, can also claim that their prices increased at their place of business due to the increase in energy cost, that stemmed from the carbon tax just introduced, correct?

So, if thats the case, what is the point of even threatening such a huge fine?? Lol its a government tactic for control and to keep the carbon tax increases quiet.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

So, if thats the case, what is the point of even threatening such a huge fine??

As has been mentioned multiple times now, it is to prevent prices being raised for no reason whatsoever and falsely blaming the new tax. And to prevent the raising of prices above what the impact of the tax genuinely is.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

So, if thats the case, what is the point of even threatening such a huge fine??

As has been mentioned multiple times now, it is to prevent prices being raised for no reason whatsoever and falsely blaming the new tax. And to prevent the raising of prices above what the impact of the tax genuinely is.

You're not understanding what im getting at, every single business will be able to claim an increase in energy cost due to the carbon tax, provided they use energy to run their business (cant think of any that don't), so the fine is there to intimidate and to keep the words carbon tax and price increase out of peoples mouths

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

..Australia actually passed a Carbon Tax? WTF is wrong with you people? Carbon Tax and Healthcare are the two reasons I NEVER vote for a Progressive Liberal. All they want is your money and obedience.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Heh... Can't wait till they try to pull this one in Canada... Seriously Australia you have to do something about this one... This is literally "Let us slowly rape you and don't you dare say a word..."

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Nspekta

..Australia actually passed a Carbon Tax? WTF is wrong with you people? Carbon Tax and Healthcare are the two reasons I NEVER vote for a Progressive Liberal. All they want is your money and obedience.

The public had no say on the matter. It was forcefully passed by our leader...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Don't forget those immortal words;

"Under our labour government we can promise you there will NOT be a carbon tax."

Here we are not two years after that and they just went ahead and did it anyway. WITHOUT the approval or vote by any of the Australian people. Same as the ranga getting pushed into office without the will of the people. If we were any more clouded I swear we'd be better off under either a dictator or communism.

Oh and just a side note, I have no way to prove this, but take it from someone who managed 10 years in retail. Both major retailers in Australia have put up the price on every line that is GST taxed 4c an item. ALL OF THEM.

Gillard's Lies
edit on 29-5-2012 by 74Templar because: added link

edit on 29-5-2012 by 74Templar because: typos

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
We have no "government" .. what we see is merely a puppet show
one i loathe to call "The adventures of captain speedo & the evil lizard Queen"

For our non native's here.. "speedo's" are men's swimwear.. the very short kind (ick.. i'll never erase that)

as for the shows dialogue.. well its, Lies, Lies & more Lies, carefully crafted mis-truths written by the finest minds in political rhetoric.. but not an ounce of truth to be garnered at the end of each season (in retrospect)

Now.. before i even so much as begin on this JOKE that is the carbon tax i wanna take you back to a few seasons ago and ask you another question first,

Where is our NBN? ... huh?... you know that thing we were all getting and were so pumped about um.. kinda almost 10 years ago! On it's way you say.. man.. that's awesome.. still waiting...

We can pretty much go on for a bit.. a few more hyped up "dealbeakers" that were flip floped on but the flavor of the day at the moment is Carbon, don't mind the taste.. you'll get used to it.

I grew up believing Government's , I grew up when i realized that was a lie
edit on 29-5-2012 by Xarian6 because: format

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

If they blamed the carbon tax they must be able to prove it and not use it as a cover for other price increases related to wages, rent or stock.

"If a business claims that a price is linked to the carbon price, that claim must be truthful and have a reasonable basis,'' he said.

Sounds more like a 'truth in advertising rule' than anything else. Sounds kinda reasonable to me; If you lie about your costs, you face a fine'.

If you increase your costs and then just blame it on the 'carbon tax', you may have to prove it's just the carbon tax, and not you price gauging. Bureaucratic, for sure, but reasonable in its logic.

They arent saying you cant blame the carbon tax, just that you cant blame it for your own price gauging. Of course, I agree it gives the gov. even more power. Most laws do.
edit on 28-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

We agree.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i heard the carbon tax is NATO related. meaning that right now countries give nato money but nato has to go through a lot of BS to get it and they want the tax from carbon to fund nato activities.

anyone heard that before?

we might be one of the happiest countries on the list but we are definetly the stupidest
edit on 29-5-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i heard the carbon tax is NATO related. meaning that right now countries give nato money but nato has to go through a lot of BS to get it and they want the tax from carbon to fund nato activities.

anyone heard that before?

we might be one of the happiest countries on the list but we are definetly the stupidest
edit on 29-5-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

I do know that a percentage of the money made through the carbon tax will go straight to the UN for their operations. Haven't heard about NATO though.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

What they should have done was fine any company that put thier prices up to accomodate the new tax. The one thing that has irked me about this subject since I was capable of rational thought is as follows. Oil companies, and most everyone that owns a chunk of them, are filthy , stinking, MEGA rich. Nations which have vast oil reserves are incredibly well off (despite the appearance of many of them, and the fact many people in those nations starve because all the wealth is too narrowly distributed).

So oil companies, and thier fat cat shareholders, ought to be taking the hits. Pay the executives less, employ less paper pushers in general... that is where the tax ought to hit, not the pockets of the consumer. I can only imagine how crippling to the consumer that tax is going to be.

The big oil should pay its own way, and the governments of the world should force the industry to absorb the tax cost, rather than passing it on. It should be this way for all energy companies.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
From reading the article I have interpereted that businesses are allowed to raise prices, as per usual, but if they are to publicly justify that it is due to the effects of the carbon tax then they must prove it. Meaning that you can blame the carbon tax as long as you have sufficient proof. The OP presented this differently and may have sensationalised it alot more than the original article. However, I am still concerned given the fact that it would be difficult to prove as businesses raise prices when their suppliers raise prices, which could mean it would be more difficult to prove.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Once you get past the sensationalism of the article, the truth is more appealing.

Companies are not allowed to use the new tax as a LIE, an EXCUSE, to raise prices to grab more money from the consumer when it is not warranted. If the new tax genuinely raises prices, then it is most certainly allowed to be blamed. It certainly can be blamed it it is the truth.

I like this new ruling, it protects the consumer from conmen who would raise prices for no proper reason.

We had the same thing when the GST came in many years ago. It was not allowed to be used as a false excuse to raise prices. If it was a geniune reason that the GST caused prices to be raised, then that is perfectly proper to blame it

Exactly.

Lots of Alex Jones fans here. Another reason in addition to this fine preventing profiteering is to prevent business groups that are pro-opposition from running sensational ad campaigns against the Government.

Having said that,the Carbon Tax is the devil and has been pushed through with lots of help from the CIA. Labor needs to go for allowing this to happen. But people need to have a think before they go believing the words of Alex Jones or sensational media outlets with obvious agendas.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

What happened when GST first came in to affect, the exact same thing will happen when the Carbon Tax comes in to force July 1st. We are all going to be ripped off big time.

Every Australian should now demand actual readings of their electrical meters (or take them themselves) because electricity is going to be the biggest increase. In the past year I've seen 30% rise in mine yet I've taken half of the light globes out of my house and managed to cut use of at least 20% power plus one member left home....yet I'm now paying 30% more. Something is wrong here.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

What concerns me are the rises in costs of importers who don't manufacture here in Australia.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I for one am glad theres no election for a while because to put it simply "Theres no one to vote for" and very soon there with be no one to tax. For-closures everywhere & manufacturing heading overseas. Carbon Tax WILL kill the country. As they say final nail !!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join