It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the strongest quality of love?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
If the word "Love" did not exist and you have to use a word to describe its most important quality, what would that be?

Would it be care or affection? Or do you have a better word? It can only be one word and it has to be what you believe is the best quality of love.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
sacrifice

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Limerence is a good word.
en.wikipedia.org...

Unrequited is good too.
en.wikipedia.org...
They are kinds of love.

Courtly Love is worth looking into as well.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
oneness

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Difficult question
maybe vulnerability.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The strongest quality of love is its ability to bring an abundance of life.

Love is your expression to existence saying, "I can handle more". So more will be granted to you.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
It is the bridging agent between two lives that once both have died are each time dwelling inside their self produced Book of Life (soul structure), love between two can offer the consciousness an escape route away from their recording and into the others recording. You would want to do this if one did not install the "escape" Door during their living in space-time, but the other did. Otherwise the consciousness remains within their Book of Life, time dwelling within it for eternity.

Unfortunately hate is also a bridging agent. Also loving inanimate objects such as money bind you to those objects after you die when your time dwelling (soul traps) as does "sin" which is visualized regrets that are time loops that are difficult to escape from their currents.
edit on 28-5-2012 by tkwasny because: Typo fix

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What is the "strongest quality of love" - without a doubt, MsAphrodite got it correct - it's "sacrifice."

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If it was one word , sheltering. Two would be self sacrifice.

cheers.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

True love leads to a complete absence of focus on the self. Desire becomes focused entirely on the object of one's love, and so sacrifice is the natural outcome. Two in love together sacrifice for each other in a perfect symbiotic relationship. Think about it, when you say you are in love, it is because your focus is now off of yourself and on your love.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Compatable...
United..
Unselfish....
Singularity...
Excited.(happy)
Emotional...
Crazy...
Passionate...
this is pretty hard because the word love can be used for so many things,,, I love ice cream, I love that movie,,,
You make me so EXCITED...
We are soooo COMPATABLE...
When I'm with you ,I feel so UNITED as one...
You make me feel so UNSELFISH...
We make a unique SINGULARITY together...
You make me so EMOTIONAL....
I am CRAZY about you...
I get so PASSIONATE when talking about you...(US)
this is really hard but this is what I came up with in a couple of mins. off the top of my head.
good brain teaser for us people in a long love filled relationship, sure I could make any word work for how I feel about my girl,and about what we have made together in life.......???

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
sacrifice

I'm assuming you mean, 'self'-sacrifice, right?
Yeah, that is a good definition.

Originally posted by Xoanon
reply to post by arpgme

Attachment

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is a good definiton and I guess obsession is love too since that is attachment, but that is a painful definition. Ouch.

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by arpgme

Limerence is a good word.
en.wikipedia.org...

Unrequited is good too.
en.wikipedia.org...
They are kinds of love.

Courtly Love is worth looking into as well.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

These are different types of love. You didn't answer the question. I asked for the strongest quality (singular), not types.

reply to post by arpgme

True love leads to a complete absence of focus on the self. Desire becomes focused entirely on the object of one's love, and so sacrifice is the natural outcome. Two in love together sacrifice for each other in a perfect symbiotic relationship. Think about it, when you say you are in love, it is because your focus is now off of yourself and on your love.

That makes sense. It is very difficult for most people to just keep giving though and can be exhausting...

So it has to be one word, so I guess a word for self-sacrifice can be "giving" or "donation".

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No I think just sacrifice is fine. It does not specify what kind of sacrifice, but real love is rare, as is the proper form of sacrifice.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Unfortunately when we speak of love, it is generally to "romantic love", "familial love" or "sexual love" that we refer to, and that is only a portion of what love encompasses.

Unless you can encompass all types of love within the definition it falls short and is inadequate in it's description.

The best definition that I have ever heard of what "love" is came from my son:

"Love is the sincere concern of someone else's happiness and well being"

If I had to sum that up in one word it would be "concern", but his statement really says it all.
edit on 5/28/2012 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
From Oxford Dictionary:

3 an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy:

www.cummingsstudyguides.net...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
If the word "Love" did not exist and you have to use a word to describe its most important quality, what would that be?

Would it be care or affection? Or do you have a better word? It can only be one word and it has to be what you believe is the best quality of love.

The selfless sacrificial giving of one's self to and for the sole benefit of another while expecting nothing in return.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

No I think just sacrifice is fine. It does not specify what kind of sacrifice, but real love is rare, as is the proper form of sacrifice.

Real love has to be unconditional. The reason for this is because all is one. So if you hate anything about existence, you cannot truly love something else. Also, if you love anything about existence, you cannot truly hate something else.

Unconditional love requires that you love what you might call, "evil". That is the biggest road block to having true love. What you call "evil", you might as well call, "that which I fear or hate".

All is one. Unconditional love requires that you love all. By loving all, you will have found love for the first time. I still haven't found it.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Wow, I was just about to ask you what you meant by 'sacrifice'.

The definition of have here was something like "to surrender or lose in order to gain an objective". Note: an objective is a goal, and that can even be for the peace of all humanity so it doesn't necessarily have to be selfish...

Anyway, I see what you mean, in your definition it is more like a "humble sacrifice"... Cool

Originally posted by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh
Unfortunately when we speak of love, it is generally to "romantic love", "familial love" or "sexual love" that we refer to, and that is only a portion of what love encompasses.

Unless you can encompass all types of love within the definition it falls short and is inadequate in it's description.

The best definition that I have ever heard of what "love" is came from my son:

"Love is the sincere concern of someone else's happiness and well being"

If I had to sum that up in one word it would be "concern", but his statement really says it all.
edit on 5/28/2012 by ThreeSistersofLoveandLigh because: (no reason given)

This is the definition I had, but it is a bit negative, do I want to be worried all the time that people are happy, or do I just want to freely give and know that all is well because I did my part? Interesting nevertheless.

reply to post by smithjustinb

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Real love has to be unconditional. The reason for this is because all is one. So if you hate anything about existence, you cannot truly love something else. Also, if you love anything about existence, you cannot truly hate something else.

Unconditional love requires that you love what you might call, "evil". That is the biggest road block to having true love. What you call "evil", you might as well call, "that which I fear or hate".

All is one. Unconditional love requires that you love all. By loving all, you will have found love for the first time. I still haven't found it.

Yes, but you did not define the most important quality of "love" yet...

Unconditional love can be mean anything because today the term is ambiguous and people say "I love you" with hate in their hearts...

When you say "unconditional love" are you talking about "unconditional liking (affection)"? or are you talking about "unconditional care"?

It can only be one because we are talking about the most important quality of love here.
edit on 28-5-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
O I forgot ADHOR...

And to answer the posted question, The strongest QUALITY of LOVE would be for me the EMOTIONAL feeling that incompasses the word itself....

all in all LOVE is a undefined feeling,,,
you might LOVE to be tickled, but u can't do that for ever.
you might LOVE to cause problems....I.E. (trouble maker,,,Instagater)
you might LOVE the way something looks.....

I get the op's question, LOVE has been throwed around so much we have really diluted the actual meaning....
but I IS am emotion non the less.????
edit on 28-5-2012 by 2012nwaiting because: no reason

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join