It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, who discovered the location of the Equator? Who discovered the latitude zero? How?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by GLontra

You changed your question from who discovered the equator to who determined the latitude of Athens.

The equator was "discovered" by some unknown traveler. Undoubtedly more than one.

edit on 5/28/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I just want to know the name of genius who determined that Athens was located about 38 degrees North, and thus, the Equator was located 38 degrees south of Athens...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Like I said, that would be Hipparchus since he's the genius who came up with the idea of latitude and longitude to mark locations on Earth's surface.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
i have a reasonable explanation for everybody so confused here.

humans in general had much better technology than they have now, a long time ago, but they had a big war or something with UFO's called Vimannas they made themselves, and nuked everything and turned the ground all white.

we basically had to start all over or something, thats what i heard.

we are MUCH more advanced than we think, and have been around a lot longer than scientists wanna believe.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
As the development of the thread implies, humankind's discoveries are collective, sometimes we know of ONE person, but most of "ancient discoveries" were probably made several times by several people all around the world.
SOME are documented, and we say that THAT was the first time, sometimes not.

As Phage (i think) said, sea travelers all around the world would need more or less the same body of knowledge, so it is logical (imo) to think that your question cuold ONLY be answered if you take into account that when we say "first one" we mean "first documented one".

And that could be Hipparcus, I'm not really sure.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

That's a reasonable explanation?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hipparchus was known to be a working astronomer from around 162 to 127 BC. That is near the age of the Antikythera device that among other things calculated Olympic years and used the metonic cycle math. Homer's Odyssey is older, dates back to around 800 BC predating Pythagoras. Obviously the Odyssey covers the same material allegorically in a poetic Greek style.

Check with the US CIA someone over there might know.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the theory of 'aliens' supposedly providing a detailed map to our ancestors just the way some of the advanced technology was
(sarcasm)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
They probably went out into the desert with a big stick, & planted it in the ground at 90 degrees.
At midday,if the stick has no shadow, then you are on the equator.
The desert is also a good clue....

At night (or at sea) you can plot the motion of the stars directly overhead, if they move in a straight line, you are on the equator.

That's how the ancients did it, and it still works today, how 'bout that?
edit on 29-5-2012 by playswithmachines because: Typo
and clarity
edit on 29-5-2012 by playswithmachines because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by playswithmachines

They probably went out into the desert with a big stick, & planted it in the ground at 90 degrees.
At midday,if the stick has no shadow, then you are on the equator.

On the right day of the year (an equinox), yes. On another day you could be anywhere between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn.

At night (or at sea) you can plot the motion of the stars directly overhead, if they move in a straight line, you are on the equator.

You mean directly east to west? See above.

On any day of the year, when Polaris is on the horizon you are at the equator.

edit on 5/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

reply to post by GLontra

Who? Any navigator who used the stars; Polynesian, Japanese, Portuguese...
When? Whenever they crossed the equator.

It's so obvious it's trivial.

That's a pretty Richard move to make there phage, if it's so trivial let me ask you a question since we're on the topic of equators.

Is it possible that the black hole in the center of our galaxy produces an energy/debris ring at its equator, much like the debris rings around Saturn? And when our sun passes through the galactic equator will we experience any change from passing through that field of energy/debris?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Tell us who invented fire first.

I am surprised no one has said 'Aliens'.

Do you think man invented fire?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Deafseeingeyedog

Is it possible that the black hole in the center of our galaxy produces an energy/debris ring at its equator, much like the debris rings around Saturn? And when our sun passes through the galactic equator will we experience any change from passing through that field of energy/debris?

What does that have to do with geography?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Deafseeingeyedog

What does that have to do with geography?

The question of what an equator actually is. Does our galaxy have rings around its equator like Saturn? Can we see that with telescopes?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
His name was Bob & he was on an old arabian dow that got blown off course by several severe storms around the time of Christ. So now you know. BOB discovered the Equator. Your welcome.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join