It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collapse of the United States: Day 1 – What do you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think the responses should be seperated by those prepared and those not prepared.

As the responses would be totally different.

Lol be that as it may. Regardles it begins with a stiff drink!!!! Lol

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Well thats kind of the point, just waking up in the morning not knowing what the hell has just happened and to what extent. More than likely an economic collapse would not be so bold in its unfolding, but any other plausible scenario.

My main focus is to see what a peoples first response to a situation they don’t know much about would be. Panic, focus, assist or lead…

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
But my alarm DOES go off, I have a battery in my alarm clock.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Those who THINK that they are prepared probably aren't really.

This much is evident in the show "doomsday preppers" which has a quite alarming rate of people getting hurt in the first day or so of their "bug out" exercise.

These people find themselves needing hospitals in the first 24-48 hours, I wonder how they'd cope if TSHTF for real?

Personally, if the power was out, and there was just the sound of sirens in the background, I'd assume it was just a regular power outage, get up, and go to work. Where I would probably be met by everyone else, who would assume that it was just a power outage.

If there were no tv or radio broadcasts, it would probably take us a lot longer than day one to figure out what was going on.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I would pray to God and ask him if he needed any assistance in expediting the collapse to day 4 shaving off 48+hrs of wait time.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well in the scenario you're describing, no alarm clock, quite out only sound is a siren; that pretty much describes every morning where I live with the exception of the siren, only time I hear on of those is if I make the 65 mile trrip to Bismarck.

However if I awoke to realize it was day one of the collapse I guess I would get in the basement, unlock the gun safe and get my weapons in order. Then I would get on my 4 wheeler or horse and ride down the road to the Sheriff's house to get any info he had and let him know I have enough munitions and supplies for him and his 3 deputies if it were ever needed.

Then I would imagine the 700 residents of town along with the other 1100 in the county would gather together and start making plans to help each other out. Quite a few of us have contingencies in place for what is going to eventually happen. We have plenty of beef (several hundred head), wildlife (deer, elk, pheasant, fish), and we are all well armed. Our community is basically a large family of sorts and we all watch out for eachother.

It would basically be just another day for us only without power, internet, phone, TV. Now what would happen 5 or 10 days from day one, well that would depend on how many looters we would have head this way from Bismarck but with a state population of just under 400,000 I think we would be much better off than a large majority than the rest of the US. The biggest threat to us would be TPTB and their plans.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well,being that there are sirens going off,an emp type of scenario is out.
The power goes out ,well,I would jump into one of my vehicles to listen to the radio,get on the phone is there is cellphone service.
And also do like we always do,go hang out with the neighbors ,drink beer and grill out.
That is if only the power goes out.

Economic collapse, that has going on for a few years already.
Do what I'm doing now,stockpiling on food.

In all cases,be calm about it,organize accordingly and stay informed as much as possible.
And it is always in your best interests to form bonds with neighbors and friends so you can help each other out.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I wouldn't really care about survival at that point...in the sense that I would essentially be dead anyways..
so anything I did after that point of recognition would essentially be on borrowed time and worth the risk.

HAPPY?
edit on 28-5-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

Thats Zen. I like that a lot. Its the what the heck living on borrowed time art of motorcycle maintenance.

You could put extra sugar in your coffee now and it wouldn't even matter.

Until it was gone I suppose. Then for sure its the end of the world.

edit on 28-5-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Now I'm homesick.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
So i would,

1. Run the the local pharmacy and load up.
2. Head to the local gun store and load up.
3. Attempt to go to the local grocery store and load up.
4. Attempt to go to gas station and load up assuming there is any petrol left.
5.. Try to find some sleeping bags.
6. Head home or to a more secure place.
7. If home is compromised than get in car and head out, preferably something remote as to stay away from looting gangs or rape gangs.
8. After a 3-6 weeks try to find a way back into the city and find the items i wasnt lucky enough to buy prior to the shift. ( wash board,amenities big time, pots, shovels, possibly a machete,
hopefully find somewhere thats still has seeds to plant.
9. Find more fuel.
10. Check out the local underground pharmacist and load up. Hopefully They some behind.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBpage76
Imagine, if you will, kissing you kids goodnight, letting the dogs in, locking the doors and crawling into bed with your better half after making sure the alarm clock is set for the next day, then drifting off to sleep.

You awake from your slumber to find your alarm didn’t go off, seems the power is out and its eerily quiet outside except the faint sound of sirens, possibly from a fire truck? Ambulance? Who knows, so you walk outside to find that the “SHTF” scenario has just become reality... whatever scenario first comes to mind.

Its officially DAY ONE of the collapse of the United States. What do you do?

***My main focus is to see what peoples first response to a situation they don’t know much about would be. Panic, focus, assist or lead ect… to get ideas that maybe I havent considered and learn from others****

edit on 28-5-2012 by JBpage76 because: More Detail ***

edit on 28-5-2012 by JBpage76 because: (no reason given)

not a bad thread.. but..

I'm not spilling my guts to any forums...period.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
First thing I would do is to NOT post my plans all over the internet for the whole world to see. Are you just trying to get intel on us?

I know huh? Seems to me that these what would you do threads are either a Gov agent with a meat thermometer testing the temp of the turkey, or some dude that has way too much time on his hands and doesn't know what he'd do, so he has to ask everyone else.

In which case if said event did happen...... I would sit quietly at home and wait for my government to tell me what to do.....

JK, I'd probably be doin the neighbors wife....and breaking sh*t........

NTA: the following link would pretty much kill all activity on ATS for all you privacy seekers.....

Che ck out the new black list
edit on 28-5-2012 by GrandHeretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I suppose my first response would be to make sure the door is secure and grab my gun. I'd look out the window and see if my car was still there. Assuming my car is still there I would guard it with my gun while I did other things as best I could (or while my wife packed things I would guard). I live on the second floor of my apartment and there is a balcony that would make this easy to do. I would try to get a hold of a few people via phone/internet/what have you. After I had exhausted all forms of communication in an attempt to organize I would grab my camping gear which is all placed in a large Rubbermaid tub that can fit in my back seat. That has most of the things I need in it. I would grab the first aid kit, any weapons I could carry, any food/water I could carry and if I had the ability to and the room I would grab extra # that wasn't necessary to survive. Photos, external hard drive, the cats...stuff like that. I would then take all I had gathered and if the coast looked clear I would pack it into my car and drive to an area of private property that I know is large, safe, and more importantly has a source of water that could be filtered for use. Hopefully a handful of others that know about this private property would show up after a time and we could group up at this location and plan further. At this point I would start thinking about ways to unite my family with me and rebuild with whatever we had left at our disposal. Growing crops would be first on the list.

If I didn't think I could get to that private property safely I would hunker down in the apartment and try to ride out the wave of madness until I thought I could leave town.
edit on 28-5-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: alternative...

edit on 28-5-2012 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandHeretic

Originally posted by ZeroReady
First thing I would do is to NOT post my plans all over the internet for the whole world to see. Are you just trying to get intel on us?

...... either a Gov agent ..... or some dude that has way too much time on his hands and doesn't know what he'd do, so he has to ask everyone else.

Rest assured my Emergency Action Plan is well established for most of the worse case scenarios that my family and I could potentially face. The specific details of which I wouldn’t post on a public forum either, but that’s not what I was asking for anyway. Just a simple conversation starter to pick the brains of my peers and try and see it from other peoples perspective or just see how creative people can be.

Having attended multiple military and civilian survival courses/operations, extensive urban combat training and experience.. I already know what my response would be in most instances. I enjoy seeing and hearing other peoples ideas and or varying experiences and what they have learned. I have no interest in finding out the details of how much of what a person may have stockpiled or horded.

The idea is sound it keeping your details private and I agree its important, but a lot of people can benefit from the “general ideas” others without having to post what’s currently in your basement.

Besides, you don’t really think there are hundreds of government operatives scouring public forums to find out whether or not you have a few MREs and firearms, do you? Rest assured, they have more creative and less labor-intensive ways of finding out what they want to know. Just sayin

edit on 28-5-2012 by JBpage76 because: Spelling correction

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think my first priority would be intel. deploy the battery radio/scanner/ham radio (if nothing works I'll know there's emp action and use the ones in the faraday cages). I'd use a geiger counter if available. I'd check the sky for weather and aircraft (civilian? military?) If I see regular commercial jets and hear distant radio I'd conclude whatever's happening is local and no big deal. if nothing's flying but maybe military/police I'd be more worried.
it would be almost impossible for everything on radio--local, distant, ham, short wave--to be down as plenty of folks (government, commercial, private) have backups, batteries, emp hardened. of course I'd keep an eye on the roads for traffic (cops giving warnings? Korean infantry? NWO International Guard?)
I'd probably fill jugs with whatever water is in my system.
If I hear/know nothing after a few hours I might try to start my vehicle and make a short trip for scouting purposes. I'd likely be armed.
at some point hopefully I'll wake up from the nightmare...
edit on 28-5-2012 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JBpage76

I have been through a few natural disasters,so those are not a problem for me.
It's the unnatural disasters that have me concerned.
Nuclear and biological.
The unseen threats .

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'd get in the car and drive to my neighbor's house to see if he knows anything. Then we would drive around to check out the power lines to see where the power was.

More than likely we'd have us a feast after a couple of days. He has a smoker and can barbecue about anything that comes off a critter. Since meat is going to start spoiling soon, everyone around will be bringing their frozen meat to him to be cooked.

We'd probably go into halvers on a small generator (talked about this before) to keep our well pumps filled. There will be plenty of gasoline for a while; small stations will happily let you have plenty of gas for letting them run their pumps off that generator for a few hours a day. I can hook up anything electrical, so that would be my contribution.

Once that is done... what's changed? Our hours, maybe, without electric lights, but that's not a big deal. The car radio will keep us updated if there is any news (radio stations have electric generators in case of severe weather), and I have a small inverter that can charge cellphones (assuming they still work). Might have to dig the old reloading bench out to do a little hunting, or just use the bow and crossbow after ammo runs low. Food is growing all around us, so that's no problem. I'm looking forward to the polk salad coming in soon anyway.

We'll be fine. Would someone be kind enough to let us know when it's all over so we can go back to... come to think of it, nevermind...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

A welcomed escape from the "norm".

It would be a little fun,wouldn't it.
Like an extended weekend.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Oh, yeah, and a good excuse to spend some time fishing.

When is this supposed to happen again? I'm getting kinda excited!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JBpage76

If total economic collapse I would race to the grocery store and join the fight for whatever canned food I could get my hands on. Load up on my water supply. Look for weapons. Maybe a generator and fuel.

Hold a meeting with the neighbors to set up a watch. Shoot and kill any raiding party coming to take away our stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join