It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan death decree over wedding video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Four women and two men have been sentenced to death in northern Pakistan for singing and dancing at a wedding, police said Monday.

Clerics issued a decree after a mobile phone video emerged of the six enjoying themselves in a remote village in the mountainous district of Kohistan, 176 kilometres (109 miles) north of the capital Islamabad.

Pakistani authorities in the area said local clerics had ordered the punishment over allegations that the men and women danced and sang together in Gada village, in defiance of strict tribal customs that separate men and women at weddings.

(Link)

Another story showcasing the madness of organised religion. It's hard to believe we are in the year 2012 when stories such as these continue to surface. I respect the right of each country to govern its citizens as it wishes, yet one can't help but feel compassion for the poor people subjected to these harsh regulations. It can be argued that this is "propaganda" designed to demonise Pakistan and Muslims in general, however that does not change the fact that very real people could face fatal consequences for simply dancing at a wedding. Not the only injustice occurring, but an injustice nonetheless.

Thoughts?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well good for them - that's freedom of religion at it's finest.

All religion is a dangerous scam and those sucked into it by fear or supposed miracles or pop into church to thank god for not being hit by a bus that week are no better than these psycho clerics.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Dude how does one find this crap??

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

In Pakistan, the rule of the law has nothing to do with these tribal councils of every sort, giving pretty much Saudi style rulings. To make things tad more complex, in some areas they enjoy high level autonomy, and may well be the local law.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

I agree that organised religion can be a dangerous tool, especially when extremist views are upheld as truthful. However, there is quite a significant difference between somebody thanking God for not being hit by a bus and what these "psycho clerics" are advocating. Both are irrational, but one is far more dangerous than the other.

reply to post by Suffi

I came across the article while browsing some popular news websites and decided to post it as it showcases the problem with forcing extremist religious views on a population.

reply to post by deckdel

Interesting.
edit on 29/5/2012 by Dark Ghost because: formatting

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
That is so sad. I wonder how the relatives of these people feel. Do they think "Oh well, that's what you get for ignoring the Koran." Or do they experience outrage, but keep quiet about it.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Its sad but the young ladies have been executed their brothers managed to flee in time and have since come forward in the media and this is now a massive talking point in pakistan. I'm not confident the criminals who carried out this crime will get punished as the courts require witnesses and none have come forward for fear of their lives.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Deckdel touches an important point in these tribal regions the rule of law does not apply. Just to clarify these crimes are as a result of tribal customs and not religious zeal.

top topics

join