It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive bluefin tuna crossed the Pacific to US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Across the vast Pacific, the mighty bluefin tuna carried radioactive contamination that leaked from Japan's crippled nuclear plant to the shores of the United States 6,000 miles away — the first time a huge migrating fish has been shown to carry radioactivity such a distance.

"We were frankly kind of startled," said Nicholas Fisher, one of the researchers reporting the findings online Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in pr
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/28/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--BAN Requirements--Please Use EXACT Headline.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, here we go!!! Its now starting to officially effect our food chain here in the states. I was already a pescatarian (no pork, beef, chicken) but did eat occasional fish/seafood to get my protein content and now thats gonna have to go out the window.

I would really recommend we pray about this situation to get better. Whatever you believe, God, ALiens, or just your faith in fellow man if your an Atheist. We need help to rid ourselves of this our dump a bunch a borax or Zeolites into the Pacific.

This is truly pathetic. The West Coast is so beautiful and there are vast swaths of coast that are completely uninhibited. I used to sneak out there with a cousin and we stash out in caves and live off fishing and camp fires for weeks at a time. Just us and nature. Mankind makes me sick!!!!

news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. As I read, I kept waiting to see an effort to issue warnings to consumers, to some degree, but maybe they don't want to beat the fear drums? Or maybe they do not consider it too harmful?
At least it grabbed the attention of scientist who will now put some effort into further testing.
Guess I will change my weekly meal plan to exclude Tuna for a while..as in 1000 years!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Thinking about the wierd fishes we will start catching soon. Boosting evolution in a bad way.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I like how you cut off the quote before it read "still far below safe to eat limits..." Classy move at creating sensationalism.

You can't treat news like a buffet, taking the facts you want and leaving the rest behind.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wonder how quick there going to be to raise the levels allowable, when it gets close to being un-eatable. Are we going to be told when Its a million times worse that there is only a slight chance of getting sick. So bloody garbage the way we are deceived, really wish my solo effort to spread the news was more effective but no one around me seems to care. Little blue marble floating is space is sick and most just twiddle there thumbs.

I really hope my own theory that earth has had numerous civilizations before us, maybe one every million or so years it clenses, rejuvinates, wipes out most traces. Cause this chance I fear is almost over....... and if not i don't foresee things getting much better....

SaneThinking

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BeliefInReality

I like how you cut off the quote before it read "still far below safe to eat limits..." Classy move at creating sensationalism. You can't treat news like a buffet, taking the facts you want and leaving the rest behind.

Hey instead of assuming I did it on purpose (assuming, which makes an ass out of you and me) you might want to consider that the rest got accidentally cut off. My comp acts werid sometimes, plus the link is there to read the rest.

Hey how about this. I'll get some of those cesium tuna purchased and delivered free of charge to your place and you go ahead and eat it and feed it to your family, w all that extra cesium. Smarty pants mug

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BeliefInReality

The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in previous years. But even so, that's still far below safe-to-eat limits set by the U.S. and Japanese governments.

The point being is that it is TEN TIMES HIGHER than previously recorded. Tell that to someone 3....6....10 months ago. They would argue there's no radiation present in sea life. Plus that the EPA would be CRAZY to test!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeliefInReality

I like how you cut off the quote before it read "still far below safe to eat limits..." Classy move at creating sensationalism.

You can't treat news like a buffet, taking the facts you want and leaving the rest behind.

Radiation accumulates

· Accumulation in the Critical body organs: These radiations accumulate in the critical organs of our bodies like liver, thyroid gland, spleen, lungs and bone marrow. For example bone and adjacent bone marrow are body organs vulnerable to plutonium, radium, and strontium. Radio Iodine collects in the thyroid gland.

www.ecosensorium.org...

I have stayed away from seafood ever since the accident.
edit on 28-5-2012 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I really didn't see this as big news... I mean when that quake hit Japan and we found out about the reactor I told my wife it would cripple their seafood populations, Japan's seafood is big buisness as well, and eventually they would reach the U.S soil, if they lived long enough that is. Of course I thought it would happen sooner seening as home much MSM coverage this got for a while. They made it seem pretty bad.

I am not a big seafood person anyhow, so this has little effect on me, but it does bother me that they are unsafe to eat. Even if the gov't says they are safe I still would want to take any chances.

S/F OP good read.

-SAP-

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I apologize if it was an honest error. I just see that a lot on ATS. People taking bits and pieces from the news to prove their point.

Truthfully I wouldn't eat the fish.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

Well, here we go!!! Its now starting to officially effect our food chain here in the states. I was already a pescatarian (no pork, beef, chicken) but did eat occasional fish/seafood to get my protein content and now thats gonna have to go out the window.

Why does it have to go out the window?

The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in previous years.

But even so, that's still far below safe-to-eat limits set by the U.S. and Japanese governments.

Ah yes, reading the full article helps!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Just us and nature. Mankind makes me sick!!!!

Just one thing without trying to go off topic... You do realize nature has killed more than mankind could ever hope to right?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

True true, but it may affect the portions recommended for safe consumption. I also wonder if the threshold of damage has peaked yet, in terms of amount of radiation dispersed from that area and/or soaked up by sea life?
< turns fear volume down a tad >

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Hey how about this. I'll get some of those cesium tuna purchased and delivered free of charge to your place and you go ahead and eat it and feed it to your family, w all that extra cesium. Smarty pants mug

Bring it to my house. I'll eat it. Since I've been eating Tuna that carries raditation from weapons testing in the 1960's, I think I will manage.

To rule out the possibility that the radiation was carried by ocean currents or deposited in the sea through the atmosphere, the team also analyzed yellowfin tuna, found in the eastern Pacific, and bluefin that migrated to Southern California before the nuclear crisis. They found no trace of cesium-134 and only background levels of cesium-137 left over from nuclear weapons testing in the 1960s.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by boncho

True true, but it may affect the portions recommended for safe consumption. I also wonder if the threshold of damage has peaked yet, in terms of amount of radiation dispersed from that area and/or soaked up by sea life?
< turns fear volume down a tad >

Well, I'm pretty sure most of us have known for quite a few decades to limit fish consumption. And it has nothing to do with nuclear fallout as it does have to do with coal power waste and fossil fuel extraction, among other things:

The Japanese love their fish, and probably eat too much of it. A balanced diet between fish and meats will cause you no harm at all if the levels are within the safety thresholds.

While it stinks that we nearly destroy our environment with our energy needs, there is no alternative at the moment. And mother nature itself does enough damage on its own, it doesn't need our help. Time to invest more into new energy ideas..
edit on 28-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The cesium will just get more concentrated as it moves up the food chain. Many poorer nations rely heavily on the ocean for food. For many there is no choice they eat what they catch or go hungry. Fishermen aren't going to throw away their catch/income. It will find it's way in to our markets. Pet food, fish oil, vaguely labeled additives. We are all guinea pigs at the point. Those lines on the map mean nothing to migrating fish and birds or the currents and winds.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I'll still eat my monthly sushi and will still grill fish every other week or so.

We all die eventually. If it ain't this it'll be something else.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

While I agree that many embrace sensationalism i's worth noting, though, that that 'safe to eat' level is based on levels which the US and Japanese Government RAISED immediately after Fukishima.

Nonetheless, considering blufin Tuna have had traces of radioactivity in them for DECADES, especially from the US's nuclear testing in the pacific, I havent eaten the stuff in years.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

news.yahoo.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Across the vast Pacific, the mighty bluefin tuna carried radioactive contamination that leaked from Japan's crippled nuclear plant to the shores of the United States 6,000 miles away — the first time a huge migrating fish has been shown to carry radioactivity such a distance.

"We were frankly kind of startled," said Nicholas Fisher, one of the researchers reporting the findings online Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The levels of radioactive cesium were 10 times higher than the amount measured in tuna off the California coast in pr

edit on 5/28/2012 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--BAN Requirements--Please Use EXACT Headline.

Some couple of months after the Japan quake, my wife went to buy fish at the store. All the stuff from the Pacific was on sale and the man tried to get her to buy it. She said no, it didn't look good. He asked why. She told him it would probably glow in the dark.

Anyone buying anything out of the pacific right now while the nuke poison continues to spill into it is not thinking it through.

edit on 28-5-2012 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join