It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can "The Globe" legally print this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I understand this is a tabloid magazine/paper. I get that. I also understand freedom of the press but, if this is NOT true and rather a blatant lie (if that is the case) then, can they be sued seeing it's the POTUS?

Just curious...............................

Final Proof Obama Was Born in Africa

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Good question, I've wondered the same thing. The gist I get from a few sources on Google is..They do get sued for stories sometimes but for the most part it isn't worth it. Kinda like the Bush-miserable failure google bomb, fighting it brought more attention to it than if they had let it go. Tabloids have lawyers read every article before print as well.
How that one gets under the radar I don't know but the funny thing is that the headlines you showed in OP aren't even the most sensational I've seen on a rag mag.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
funny how it wont let me here in the uk see the site especially since its main picture is of our royalty

but i'd imagine that they set themselves up as a spoof news service and theres probably a disclaimer saying something like "believe what you read here and you're as gullable as BLEEP"

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I may be incorrect here but I was under the impression that American media is allowed to lie and do it blatantly.

I know it's illegal here under Canada's Radio Act
edit on 28-5-2012 by Jassu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well on the other hand, if it IS the truth, they will get away with it.

So basically, just wait and see if they are sued or not. If not, Obama really is an impostor and illegal President.

Regardless, to sue they need to establish what the truth is in a court of law. I do not think Obama is too happy about that thought.

So they probably won´t be sued for it. Or i´ll eat my hat.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
They can say it was satire, and only the really dumb would believe it was real.
great way to further cloud the birthplace issue.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jassu
I may be incorrect here but I was under the impression that American media is allowed to lie and do it blatantly.

I know it's illegal here under Canada's Radio Act
edit on 28-5-2012 by Jassu because: (no reason given)

It's also why you Canadians refused to let FOX news up there.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The only way he could sue "the globe" is if the claims are false.
It's ultimately up to the judge to determine if they are false though.
edit on 28-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well on the other hand, if it IS the truth, they will get away with it.

So basically, just wait and see if they are sued or not. If not, Obama really is an impostor and illegal President.

Regardless, to sue they need to establish what the truth is in a court of law. I do not think Obama is too happy about that thought.

So they probably won´t be sued for it. Or i´ll eat my hat.

All I know is when I post threads reflecting the same sentiment, it gets tossed in the Hoax bin and I am watched like a hawk (and usually post-banned for a few days
) so I'm not sure how something MORE public, like a magazine located at every checkout line, can get away with it if, I can't !

I mean, although I believe he is not an American I don't understand why publications aren't held to a higher standard than, ATS! So in a way, I am paying homage to ATS however....I think there's a LOT of truth in these tabloids. Well, except spotting Elvis and JFK in a wheel chair.
Everything else I sorta believe
(joking)
edit on 28-5-2012 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The X
They can say it was satire, and only the really dumb would believe it was real.
great way to further cloud the birthplace issue.

I'm not dumb. I'm paying attention.!!!
And so far, Obama has made Bush look good and that has become the 8th Wonder in my book!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
well, it was the globe that outed John Edwards and destroyed his hopes to be potus. He is now being prosecuted and if not mistaken recently found guilty just the last few weeks.
the owners of the Globe are close friends of the Clintons

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by manna2
well, it was the globe that outed John Edwards and destroyed his hopes to be potus. He is now being prosecuted and if not mistaken recently found guilty just the last few weeks.
the owners of the Globe are close friends of the Clintons

Not that I don't believe you but is that (Clinton connection) noted anywhere online?
Thanks in advance

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
As long as its classified as "entertainment purposes" they can print whatever.

But they can be sued to high hell in a heartbeat for it as well.

Imagine how many papers they'd sell BEFORE being forced-by-suit to retract it?

new topics

top topics

join