It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois illegally seizes bees resistant to Roundup; kills remaining queens

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

the guy who made the fake drone video a few weeks back also had some old beekeeping videos on his youtube page.

Is this the same guy? Because this is an obvious hoax, as shown in this post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

my god. Its SO nice to see someone else saying this. SO much ignorance on the subject.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Thanks for the compliment. However, I can count on two hands the number of people who actually read the entire thread, and who sided with the facts of the story. A little research helps.

To me that is sad.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It's pretty obvious that the facts do not support the beekeeper in question as anything other than a dangerous rogue who was endangering other bee populations. It's kind of shocking how many people read this thread all the way through and came up with another impression.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by hawkiye

It's equally amazing the amount of people will believe any anti government story just because it's an anti government story.

Confirmation bias runs rampant!

Anyone who makes a statement like that is a naive blind fool. Government has a long history of oppressive over bearing incompetent and unlawful action. Idiots that claim any suspicion of government is just an over reaction live in la la land happily drinking their fluoride and dutifully taking their government mandated poisons/vaccines and never had to deal with the bureau-rats oppressing them...

Indeed. The global history of ALL governments is really nothing more than the history of oppression...albeit in varying degrees.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguetechie
It's pretty obvious that the facts do not support the beekeeper in question as anything other than a dangerous rogue who was endangering other bee populations. It's kind of shocking how many people read this thread all the way through and came up with another impression.

What facts? Oh you must be referring to the governments unproven claim that his bees were diseased and then they got rid of any evidence. Its shocking how many people still think government tells the truth and has their best interest at heart...

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Mine, I talk to while I gently shoo them, I say, "Go over there I'm getting this one ready for you"............and yes, crazy as it seems, they understand. I've even had on land on my should watching me work my garden (didn't shoo this one) but it, he/she???? watched me.

Ours around us for some unknown reason are actually quite amiable little beings.

There's a gentle art of not actually shooing them, but waving gently them, communicating to them in a very slow, gentle manner that they are in your way.........don't know how to describe it but they do understand.

We have big fat yellow and black honey bees, very pretty entities indeed as they have let me observe them up close and yes I love watching them pollinate. They love my Peonies and Blue Columbine, even my Lavender and Black Eyed Susans.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm glad your hives are healthy.

Your lucky to be a bee keeper...........bees are quite beautiful and wonderful creatures.

Again, for such a little critter, no bees, no food folks................bees and bee keepers rule!

No to Monsanto.

Everything they touch they turn to poison.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This entire Post should have its own thread. IT is the best, most accurate info abut "CCD" on topsecret right now. Read and learn, cityfolk.

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by ABNARTY

Imports of honey from other countries, namely China, who can produce honey cheaper and thus make it unprofitable for domestic beekeepers to produce honey. That's not the cause, that's the reason for. Let me explain......

Commercial beekeepers are different from the likes of me. I have a small apiary to tend to. They have hundreds of hives. They used to make a profit from their honey production, pre-2001, before the advent of CCD. Free trade agreements let the Chinese import honey into the US marketplace, undercutting domestic producers, so they had to turn to other aspects of income generation.

What did the domestic beekeepers start doing? They got into the VERY lucrative field of crop pollination. The commercial beekeeper in the US no longer was making a profit from their honey production, so they started boxing up hives and trucking them to different fields in different locations across the US, and the farmers paid them handsomely for doing that during pollen flow.

Commercial beekeepers typical have their hives in California during Almond crop pollination, box them back up and truck them to Florida for the orange tree pollination, then up to Georgia for pollinating the peach trees. By the end of the year, the hives are stressed from so much movement, and have produced enough honey to survive from pollinating so many different crops, but have sampled so many different pesticides from so many different fields that it is upsetting their ability to naturally adapt.

Bees are insects. They have hives, and can survive in any local and be immune after a few generations of any pesticide. Their ability to genetically adapt to their environment is explained by the fact that they have been around for millions of years. The average life of a worker bee is three months, so you should be able to see that a hive is a constantly reproducing organism, and the queen is the one responsible for that.

Tainted pollen (treated Monsanto grain) from many different crops across the US, is arriving back at the hive, and the queen bee, who is fed by the drone bees, are feeding her what the worker bees bring back to the hive.

The hives that can't deal with the influx of unnatural contaminants go CCD. The hives that can survive, do.

It's startling to know that queen bees are being super-ceded (replaced) about 4 times a season. That means they are replacing "their leader" every few months. It takes a fresh queen 27 days to start laying, so what I'm seeing is with CCD, is the queen becomes tainted, she gets replaced, and the new queen is replaced a month later. A healthy hive has a queen that lasts at least 3 years, and on the outset, 7 years of productive laying.

It's already proven that a CCD hive leaves the queen dead in the hive, with only a few dead bees behind. The rest of the hive just "disappears". IMO, the hive creates a new queen, and she swarms with the rest of the hive, due to the hive being contaminated from excess pesticides/herbicides/foreign material in the hive.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I've kept bee hives. The foul-brood thing is over-done. When the hives swarm/produce another - they might inhabit a hive if its nearby - or if not a hollow tree nearby. That's how I got into it - from a swarm in a tree nearby.

My point is that the foul-brood thing happens in nature and hives that don't survive it (we had 1) die off - rather than reproduce. Other stronger hives DO survive it - and I had 1 of those too. And its interesting how the bee-scouts know better than to try to take over a dead hive like that. So basically a foul-brood hive rots and that's about it. The bees are often smarter than the bee keepers in things like that.

Meanwhile I'm getting the impression that bees that are resistant to foul brood maybe also resistant to roundup. The OP's video description is accurate.

So the state law says any content of AFB within the hive = illegal? WTF? So only farmed #ty bees are alowed to live? No wonder the bees have been dying off - dying with the help of extermination for only the ones with crappy immune systems to survive.

GOOD POST ATS - the beauracracy is killing us again - and this explains a lot about the missing bees. Albert Einstein says we've got less than 5 years to survive after this level of CRIME.

Oh and whether that woman inspector works or takes payoffs from Mosanto or not - she's either ignorant or a criminal (criminal includes enforcing CRIMINAL GENOCIDAL LAWs). But the result is the same.

GENOCIDE has been deliverd.

edit on 5/30/2012 by reitze because: corrections.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Phage

Yes, my point, infected bees. Are they really going think that after multiple inspections the bee inspectors were lying for the benefit of Monsanto? Or that the state WOULDN'T step in when there was a well-defined violation of the law?
Bee inspectors are friendly and helpful. They also have cool air-conditioned suits!

reply to post by Druid42

You sound like a corporate bee keeper rather than someone keeping natural bees. That's sad how quickly you disrespected the guy in the OP-video who was actually keeping more natural bees that overcame not only AFB but also roundup.

Meanwhile I hear your ilk is having trouble keeping your bees alive. You fear AFB - and want to destroy every remaining natural hive that's got it even if those hives have contained it. Killing your competition even if it kills of the whole food supply of planet earth.

SHAME ON YOU - you're committing a crime against nature that stinks clear to heavan - you'll burn in hell with that mentality. And thus get to be the first on my ATS "rivals" list.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Bill Maher clip 420 Bees CCD

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ATS: Blamed for Bee Collapse, Monsanto Buys Leading Bee Research Firm

And a "good" beekeeper dealing appropriately with AFB:

and with a queen-less hive:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by reitze

reply to post by Phage

Yes, my point, infected bees. Are they really going think that after multiple inspections the bee inspectors were lying for the benefit of Monsanto? Or that the state WOULDN'T step in when there was a well-defined violation of the law?
Bee inspectors are friendly and helpful. They also have cool air-conditioned suits!

reply to post by Druid42

You sound like a corporate bee keeper rather than someone keeping natural bees. That's sad how quickly you disrespected the guy in the OP-video who was actually keeping more natural bees that overcame not only AFB but also roundup.

Meanwhile I hear your ilk is having trouble keeping your bees alive. You fear AFB - and want to destroy every remaining natural hive that's got it even if those hives have contained it. Killing your competition even if it kills of the whole food supply of planet earth.

SHAME ON YOU - you're committing a crime against nature that stinks clear to heavan - you'll burn in hell with that mentality. And thus get to be the first on my ATS "rivals" list.

What IGNORANCE. You attack a very thoughtful and informative poster because it contradicts your paranoid and inaccurate fantasies.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Maybe I was a little strong by telling you not to shoo them. As crazy as it sounds, by talking to them and "swishing" them, they do understand you. They understand the intent to harm them, and violent swings towards them is what I was referring to. They will become aggressive when there are violent air currents around them, and that is what disturbs them, as well as the pheromones that you are producing.

Remember, they know the queen bee only by her scent. The queen controls the whole hive by releasing certain scents. Then again, all the workers that are keyed genetically to their queen, because they are her children, are very sensitive to smells. Fear is a powerful pheromone that is released when a human being is agitated. Animals, even insects, can detect it.

Why do flowers smell nice? Why do bees pollinate them? What possible survival trait could be tied to looking pretty and smelling nice?

Since I am way off topic, I perhaps may create a new thread to answer those questions.

However, your treatment of bees is commendable, and your technique works for you. WE do rely upon THEM. Failure to realize that is allowing the ecosystem to be destroyed around you.

Yes, by Monsanto, and the poison they put into the earth.

(I never actually said it, but I am an organic beekeeper. No chemicals used. I don't treat my bees with anything.)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

The foul-brood thing is over-done.

American Foul Brood (AFB), is caused by the spore-forming Bacillus larvae. It is very widespread and destructive as a bee brood disease. The larvae is a rod-shaped bacterium, and is visible only under a high-power microscope. Bee larvae up to 3 days old are infected by ingesting spores present in their food. Bee larvae less than 24 hours old are the most susceptible. Spores germinate in the gut of the larva and the bacteria begins to grow being nourished by the larva. Spores will not germinate in larvae over 3 days old. Infected larvae normally do not die until after their cell is sealed. As it grows, the vegetative form of the bacterium will die but not before it produces many millions of spores. And so, each now-dead larva may contain as many as 100 million spores. The disease only affects the bee larvae and it is highly infectious and deadly to bee brood.

Bee brood, FYI, are baby bees in a hive. Call them larvae. Read above. Does that sound like a propaganda statement, or is it a fact? The brood (baby bees) are the next generation in a hive of honey bees. How can you as a human raise bees that are doomed to die? That makes no sense.

My point is that the foul-brood thing happens in nature and hives that don't survive it (we had 1) die off

Bacillus larvae is definitely the cause of Foulbrood, and yes, of course it is a natural disease. It's spread to your hives by idiots who don't keep track of their own hives, or who let it persist upon diagnosis. (Small pox amongst humans would be rampant unless we took steps to eradicate it!) Any hive infected with the Bacillus larvae WILL DIE. That's why you burn them once they are infected. Letting them SLOWLY deteriorate only causes the spread of the disease.

Other stronger hives DO survive it - and I had 1 of those too.

You were rolling dice there. Send a kid to school with chicken pox. How did your kid get chicken pox? Who cares? Send em to school to infect the rest of the kids. Wait, noone else came down with chicken pox? Shooting dice. Unsafe. You just can't think like that.

And its interesting how the bee-scouts know better than to try to take over a dead hive like that. So basically a foul-brood hive rots and that's about it.

Uhm, read the post above to ofhumandescent about pheromones. The bees can "smell" the death of young baby bees. And, that's not about it, either, you've just spread billions upon billions of Bacillus larvae spores. If you have an apiary, well, it's anyone guess which bee has cross-contaminated another.

A single scale can contain one billion spores, and it takes as few as 35 spores to trigger the disease. These scales are difficult to see and can easily be missed when purchasing used equipment. Colonies with high levels of AFB will have a foul odor similar to a chicken house. As more and more brood becomes infected and dies, the colony dwindles and eventually collapses.

Spreading the Disease : As the bees work removing the dead larvae and cleaning the cells, they move and distribute the spores right through the hive. Stored honey is also contaminated with spores. Eventually the hive weakens from the infection and loss of brood. Robbing will then easily occur and the diseased honey will spread through other hives and apiaries. Additionally, as the beekeeper works the hives, infected bee equipment will be removed and mixed and exchanged into other hives, infecting and spreading the disease. The AFB spores are extremely long-lived and resilient and can remain viable for 40 plus years in honey and beekeeping equipment. Thus honey from an unknown source should never be fed to bees, and used beekeeping equipment should be considered a risk.

Still think AFB (foulbrood) is nothing to be concerned about?

Treating AFB : Spores are generally present in every hive. Once diseased larvae die within the hive, millions of spores are released. Antibiotics and drug treatment may be used accordingly to the particular country's laws. However resistance is a problem, and some countries which have adopted the rather radical method of requiring all AFB affected hives to be completely burned have successfully kept the disease under control

SOURCE FOR EXTERNAL TEXT.
and
HERE.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I get it that you've got a large bee population that is sheltered from AFB via burning the hives infected by it... analogous to killing any kid with chicken pox to eradicate the chicken pox. That's not very effective since its still "out there" - and makes AFV/chickenpox into the oooooo scary thing.

Not all hives die from AFB - and as the farmer in the OP was breeding for more natural stronger hive populations that were resistant to it as well as the GMO caused CCD... he was doing constructive research.

So I understand your POV - sorry if I sound a bit harsh toward you. HOWEVER, I do think your concept of sterilization and purity for a mass population being kept "safe" via human intervention keeps the danger ever-present rather than something that the population becomes stranger than.

Like chicken pox - most kids get it and become immune to it - some kids get vaccines with mercury or end up getting it later in life since the vaccine wasn't as strong as the real-life childhood infection. And yea that's 'debatable' too - certainly big pharma pro vaccination oriented people would disagree with me on that.

Similarly, using lady-bugs to control aphids seems smarter than roundup, though prolly more expensive and who cares if it makes people sterile right? oh right that's part of the plan isn't it.

Oh and BTW, some parents send kids to play with other kids who have the chickenpox - so they get it young rather than in college when its worse.

Chickenpox (South Park - full episode)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

Similarly, using lady-bugs to control aphids seems smarter than roundup,

You're right.
Roundup (glyphosate) is a herbicide. It is not used against aphids or any other insects.

edit on 5/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by reitze

Similarly, using lady-bugs to control aphids seems smarter than roundup,

You're right.
Roundup (glyphosate) is a herbicide. It is not used against aphids or any other insects.

edit on 5/31/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Well actually I miss-spoke on that. Right roundup is for the weeds. Pesticides for the bugs. What I was getting after though is the concept of organic approaches to farming - handling bugs and weeds with things like mowers and bug predators, instead of poisons. Bats and purple martins are fantastic bug eaters.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by reitze

It's cute how you think your little hobby farming techniques are somehow revolutionary information for everyone else.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join