It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatfields & McCoys Miniseries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is a three night miniseries on The History Channel.

I'm going to watch it.

How about you? Any of you making plans to watch it?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Can't say I'll be watching it. The whole concept of feuds and grudges turns me off.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I've already seen like 15minutes of it through the History channel website. "Get to know ____" clips.

It actually looks really good in my opinion.

It covers a very interesting point in American history and should reveal to people just how free and fair things were in those "good old days". Let me tell you, it sure as hell wasn't fair and freedom is something that has always eluded our grasp.

I plan on getting my family to watch it with me.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Can't say I'll be watching it. The whole concept of feuds and grudges turns me off.

I agree I am disgusted by such concepts.

However at the same time, this is based on real history to a certain extent. (Loosely).

If we can look at and examine what went wrong between two families that lead them to mutual destruction, such as the Hatfields and McCoys, than perhaps we can learn what not to do and hopefully avoid such mistakes in the future.

At least, that's how I approach such subjects.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here is the link
history channel

They have a lot of clips up to view, at least 15min or more worth.
It's quite compelling actually.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

We will be watching here alright. My Grandma's Mother was a Hatfield before she married. I remember hearing stories of Devil Anse Hatfield and his clan, and of the Feud. The way I heard it, William, or Anse, shot Harman McCoy during the Civil War, and Harman saw him do it. Then there was a pig, and a love affair. The way Grandma told it, the feud almost started a Civil War between Kentucky and West Virginia. Inlaws and outlaws.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

We will be watching here alright. My Grandma's Mother was a Hatfield before she married. I remember hearing stories of Devil Anse Hatfield and his clan, and of the Feud. The way I heard it, William, or Anse, shot Harman McCoy during the Civil War, and Harman saw him do it. Then there was a pig, and a love affair. The way Grandma told it, the feud almost started a Civil War between Kentucky and West Virginia. Inlaws and outlaws.

Thanks for that tidbit, and from what I am hearing after looking into this series of events I would have to say your Grandmother isn't very far from the truth. At least in relation to her comment about almost restarting the civil war.

Of course we may never know the truth about what actually happened and who did what, there are some interesting parallels with this and other similar blood feuds through history.

I also see a lot of parallels with this and what is happening all around us today...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I also see a lot of parallels with this and what is happening all around us today...

Curiously, so do I. I live in a very small town, but have heard people in the stores talking about how the government wants to take their gun, and how there are too many in prison for doing nothing that hurt anyone, and so on. We have more gun shops than we possible need. I believe strongly if the administration gets any more draconian, there will be a march on Washington. And they will not be happy, either. Paying attention here, government?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well, part one is done.

So, the feud started when Hatfield deserted leaving the McCoy to rot in prison. Then one of the Hatfields was stealing McCoy pigs. Then came this scheister lawyer who was after their land who was inflaming things between them. At least that's what I personally think that lawyer was up to.

At least according to the show. I still don't know how true that is or not.

What I don't fully understand is the thing with the daughter, why her brothers were going to kill the guy who wanted to make her his wife, and why her "honor" was soiled by him. Except for religious belief, I really don't understand that part.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Because the patriarchs felt blood was thicker than water. On one side of the Tug river is Kentucky's Pike County, where most of the McCoy's are from. The area where the Hatfields are from is on the WV side and at the time of the feud the whole area was Logan County. In 1895, Logan County was found to be too large, it was divided in two and a the new county Mingo was created. Like the Hatfields, my parents are/were from Mingo County. I remember being young and going to see Anse's grave.

My dad always called it bloody Mingo. Rich in history - martial law was declared there, not once but three times during the mine wars of the early 1900's and apparently, the county Democrats loathed Obama so bad, that they opted to vote for a convicted felon over him.Lol My dad is buried there, my mother and sisters all reside there.

Me, I escaped.Lol

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Watching it right now and Its pretty good.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
We're recording it here and started watching the 1st episode last night. So far it is well done and we're liking it. Didn't finish it though but will definitely pick up again after dinner tonight. It does have a good cast. I'm from east Tennessee and have heard some of the stories over the years.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have heard the story before,but not in such detail.
How much is truth versus drama remains to be seen,but I have been riveted to my chair watching this series.
In my opinion,I give it a thumbs up ,without historical data to back it up,just entertainment value.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Yeah, my Grandfather raised his family near Bluefield, W.Va. Beautiful, but deadly country.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I thought the movie was really good. It broke records for the History channel for a non-sporting event. I do believe I smell lots of Emmy nods.Lol

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What a great 3-parter! Enjoyed it completely! Rich with history. Great, GREAT actors, actresses and set design. And, it was nice to see it from my couch and not on the big screen.

I give it three stars out of four.

Cuhail

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Bring a Hatfield myself, I had to watch. It was truely a masterpiece of production. Casting of the characters involved was exceptional. There were a few minor variances from known facts, such as Anse and Randal in the same Confederate unit, but largely very accurate to historical facts. The film was done in the mountains of Romania which is largely pine trees rather that the traditional hardwoods of WV.

My relationship is direct to Devil Anse Hatfield. My grandfather, Ewing Hatfield was born in 1885 and died in 1965. He moved across from WV in the early 20th century and settled in Rogers Gap, KY which is between Lexington and Georgetown. He raised tobacco as a cash crop on his farm and was self sufficient with cows, chickens, pigs etc. He sired 11 children, seven girls and four boys (one my father, Bill). Three of the boys served in WWII and the youngest in Korea. As a child (I'm now 65), he took me on his knee and told me stories of the feud. I remember him as a gruff sort of person, but friendly and even funny at times.

I suspect the Hatfields and McCoys mini-series will receive many awards...it was that good, IMO.

Those wishing to learn more of the history should consider this book, The Tale of the Devil: The Biography of Devil Anse Hatfield by Dr.Coleman Hatfield, Robert Y. Spence:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338930520&sr=1-1

edit on 5-6-2012 by romanmel because: Link to book

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Yes, as far as I am concerned, great movie, two thumbs up, 5 stars. I'm getting the DVD. Absolutely loaded with major stars.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
What I don't fully understand is the thing with the daughter, why her brothers were going to kill the guy who wanted to make her his wife, and why her "honor" was soiled by him. Except for religious belief, I really don't understand that part.

Back then courtship was very rigid and controlled by the parents. You didn't stay out all night with a boy, you didn't have sex before marriage (or you were stigmatized), even kissing a boy was a big deal. Hence the scene where he kisses her and tells her "at least you can't say you haven't been kissed."

The brothers want to kill him because they think he had sex with her, ie he soiled her honour. She says nothing happened so they let him live.

And complicating matters was the fact that she was a McCoy and he was a Hatfield.

new topics

top topics

join