It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Host Chris Hayes Disses Fallen Soldiers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He seemed a little choked up saying his statements in front of a panel of tv journalists, but he spoke it well. He was not "dissing" the troops, he even said there were moments of real heroism, he did say that using the term 'heroes' is just a way of pushing for more wars. And then they smear him by calling him a 'liberal' and even more offensive names. But his message was one of peace and sensibility, not "dissing".

p.s. This video seems like neocon propaganda
edit on 28-5-2012 by Lord Jules because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2012 by Lord Jules because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon May 28 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit to use source title

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

If we had a conscript army I'd agree with you, don't get to be a hero for showing up. But every person out there volunteered. Many just for a paycheck and not patriotism true. But this guy on msnbc is a tool. If you think memorial day, where we honor fallen soldiers from the revolution until today, is the proper time to bring this point up then your dumb. Just keep your mouth shut and make your point on another day. Have some respect.

Valid point possibly but that he brought it up this weekend, of all times, seems more like a diss to me... Haha I'd like to see his metrosexual self in Iraq :-)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick
reply to post by Lord Jules

If we had a conscript army I'd agree with you, don't get to be a hero for showing up. But every person out there volunteered. Many just for a paycheck and not patriotism true. But this guy on msnbc is a tool. If you think memorial day, where we honor fallen soldiers from the revolution until today, is the proper time to bring this point up then your dumb. Just keep your mouth shut and make your point on another day. Have some respect.

Valid point possibly but that he brought it up this weekend, of all times, seems more like a diss to me... Haha I'd like to see his metrosexual self in Iraq :-)

Just keep your mouth shut? Not gong o happen.

It was the perfect time to say it because we deserve some truth along with our propaganda, especially on memorial day.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Just keep your mouth shut and make your point on another day. Have some respect.

Yea, cause that's what our veterans fought and died for, so that you can silence the 1st Amendment rights of others.

Oh wait, they didn't fight and die for that, but exactly the opposite of that.

So who's not being patriotic here?

Maybe today is the best day to discuss this. Maybe it's high time that we stop calling paid mercenaries and murderers heroes.

You don't get to be a hero for taking a job and killing in a war started by lies and manipulation, you get to be a hero for doing things that are heroic. Some of our troops over there now are doing heroic things despite the fact that this is a bull dunk war.

Our troops aren't fighting for our freedom or way of life, they are fighting because of ideological and political differences. This isn't heroic, this is just pathetic.

World War II was the last war this country fought that made any sense. It was the last time our way of life and freedom was truly threatened. Today, those troops should be honored. Today those troops should be remembered. The troops today should be pitied. They deserve better than this. They deserve to be home with their families and friends. They don't deserve to be fighting ideology.

It is true that they are all brave men and women. They do our country proud by doing a job many of us (including myself) would never do.

But to tell another American to keep your mouth shut because you don't like what he says is pissing all over what our forefathers fought and died for. You can be free to not like what he said. You can disagree with it. But to tell him to shut up is the same as spitting on those fallen heroes graves.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Really? Y'all must have been taught no manners. Of course he has the right to say it. But you wouldn't go to a funeral and start a debate on the integrity of the fallen... And if you would your parents didn't do a good job.

Of course he has the right. But it was still rude and inappropriate. There are 51 other weekend to make this point.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Of course he has the right. But it was still rude and inappropriate. There are 51 other weekend to make this point.

It may be inappropriate, so what?

That's freedom baby.

Yea, he could have used any other day to make this point true. But this is the day he picked.

Life will go on, and sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes you have to start a discussion at the worst possible time to wake people up. Our troops while brave, are fighting for a horrible reason. They deserve better than this. We don't need to be in Afghanistan any longer. These brave people should be at home barbecuing, not fighting idiots who use a religion to push their extremist right wing agenda.

We can't limit people's freedom of speech because it's inappropriate, crass, rude, or distasteful. Otherwise it wouldn't truly be a freedom. If it pisses you off. That's just fine. You have every right to be pissed off about it. No one should tell you how you should feel.

Just don't silence a person because of what they say. That's stepping over the line.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I see your point but in America the military has NO SAY in when, where, or how we go to war. If you want to blame these unjust wars on people the military is not the answer. The president (Obama and bush), congress, and mainly the American people are responsible. Don't think you understand the chain of command if you think otherwise.

Everybody's points in here are valid but your misguided if you blame the military for America's imperialism. The vast majority want to come home and stop this expansionism. So blame who's really to blame... Not the hero that allow us to even have this discussion.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick
Really? Y'all must have been taught no manners. Of course he has the right to say it. But you wouldn't go to a funeral and start a debate on the integrity of the fallen... And if you would your parents didn't do a good job.

why don't we just say that everyone in our military over there are heros...why?...because even the troops over there know that is not true. why doesn't the media take a poll of those "boots on the ground" and ask them who the heros are, you might get a completely different answer from all the pious, flag-waving, self-serving pretenders over here in the states.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I am certainly not blaming our men and women in uniform for these wars, you are right, it's not their fault they are over there, and again you are correct when you say they have no choice in where they are deployed.

The blame does fall on us civilians and our government. We allow this stupidity to continue.

But to call them heroes for doing a job? That's not right in my opinion. They would be heroes if they did heroic things. Not just for doing a crappy job.

They aren't heroes as much as they truly are victims. Victims of a war that has no point. Victims of a government that perpetuates constant war as a means to an end. Victims of a military industrial complex whos budget is bloated and unnecessary.

There are heroes in this war to be sure. The ones that save lives, the soldier who brings his fallen comrade home, the medic that saves a wounded local's life. The marine who doesn't shoot unarmed women and children. These are heroes. Just being a soldier isn't enough to be called a hero.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

I consider them heros because many have been deployed from there family 3-4 times. And still our professional soldiers still obey orders. I see them more as heros for putting up with all the crap our government puts them through than anything else.

Yes, it is a job they signed up for your right. But how many of us are signing up for a job that takes your away from your family, is dangerous and oh yeah doesn't pay crap (enlisted at least). Not many.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Your right. Having grown up in a military family I may be bias. But they put up with years away from their families, no pay, and the crap our imperial government puts them through... And still, through all that are the most professional fighting force ever. Hero in my book.

Oh yeah and (in the army at least) your forced to move like every other year. Very difficult on your family and kids.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Sadly people do not wish to admit he is right. He even went so far as to say that there is a special kind of valor in volunteering to serve in the military. But to claim every fallen soldier is a hero is wrong. It doesn't make the sacrifice unworthy, it doesn't make them any less courageous but it doesn't make them heroes.Every family is going to see their sons, daughters, and friends differently than the rest of us.

But for us to collectively brand them hero for doing the job diminishes those that stand out above and beyond the rest. He is also right in that the American public doesn't bear the cost of war anymore. We are detached from it, where is the rationing where are the tax increases and war bonds to pay for them? For Afghanistan and Iraq we didnt get tax hikes to pay for them we got tax rebates to go buy flags to wave.

But for over a decade FOX News and the right wing have been throwing out this "your a hero for serving " platitude and not been willing to do anything to prove the sentiment.

I am sorry but it takes more than false gratitude and a little flag waving to make it right. Getting rid of the private contractor Army and paying our soldiers those wages would be a good start. Bringing the VA up to snuff is another. Having seen the Hospital in Cleveland before and after it was revamped it can be done and it can be done well. The difference was a total night and day experience. And the only hospital I can honestly say the employees seemed happy to be there.

Chris Hayes is going to have a long hard week for his comments, because the braindead won't consider the point he was trying to make and will instead bash him for what they think he said. And in the end that is a real tragedy.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

When does he "diss" the soliers?

new topics

top topics

join